Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #1
mobilemax
mobilemax is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Angry Problem adding metadata (.opf, .mobi, .azw3)

Hi,

since some version months ago I seem to have annoying issues with adding books that have metadata file along with them.

This is the file structure I have - example:
SecondName, FirstName - Bookname.jpg
SecondName, FirstName - Bookname.opf
SecondName, FirstName - Bookname.mobi
SecondName, FirstName - Bookname.doc
SecondName, FirstName - Bookname.azw3
SecondName, FirstName - Bookname.odt

It always worked the way that I could drag and drop the book file to Calibre and it did read all metadata from .opf file and created the book correctly.

Now I see two different types of behavior:

1. When I drag and drop .doc/.jpg/.opf/.odt files it will automatically read the metadata and create the book the right way, but in case of .jpg and .opf it will add the file as additional format rather than using it for Cover or Metadata only.

2. When I drag and drop .mobi/.azw3 it will NOT read the metadata from .opf and create a blank book with the correct author and book name, but without any additional information.

I have the settings to "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name" disabled.

Additional questions:
- Why does Calibre add .opf as a file format when it's a metadata file?
- Can I get back the behavior of adding any book format to have Calibre read the data from .opf file automatically and assing it to the book?

It is very complicated to add bulk of books now.

Thanks,
Max
mobilemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Use the second option in Add Books.
That will treat each directory as a separate book, with "each file is the same book in a different format".

It should automatically use the opf to fill in the metadata, and the jpg as a cover image.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #3
mobilemax
mobilemax is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Thanks eschwartz. I will try that. I was so used to drag and drop and I was completely ignoring any other options, but this seems to be the solution and I will only have to change my other scripts to actually create folders for each book before I import them.
mobilemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you are scripting it then be sure to check out the command-line interface to calibre.

Documentation is in the manual: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...cli-index.html
Especially see the `calibredb` commnd
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adding books, metadata, opf