Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 10-18-2015, 06:39 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See my previous posts for why I dont think creating a checkpoint before starting spell check is particularly useful, but, since a number of people have asked for it, here you go:

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...4bdf80b6442ef9
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #17
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
OK, thanks. However, this still means reverting to the start of the spellcheck and repeating maybe 100+ previous corrections in order to recover from a single error. A "last change undo" would be much more useful IMHO, as an individual spelling correction is basically a quick way of doing a "replace all" (which would be undoable).
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #18
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Because nothing in life is free. Creating checkpoints after ever replace would add a huge performance cost.
But then why can it be done for "replace all" in the search dialog but not for the equivalent global replace in the spellcheck dialog? Or in other words, why is the spellcheck checkpoint a huge performance hit compared to the "replace all" checkpoint?
Old 10-18-2015, 10:00 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Think about the differences in the way that replace all and replace inside the spell check are used.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kovid -- for the change.

I never thought that checkpoints for each spellcheck correction would be worth it.
I think, however, that this (one before starting spellcheck) will still come in useful, without the steep cost. Much appreciated.

@Phssthpok,
For one, there is no opportunity to do something similar before "a series of find & replaces". The only time the editor knows you are using one is when you actually run a specific S&R.
And S&R is far more flexible, and thus error-prone, than an extremely limited "replace with selected valid word".
So there was never a question of whether or not to checkpoint before global S&R.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-18-2015 at 10:23 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #21
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Think about the differences in the way that replace all and replace inside the spell check are used.
Sorry, you need to give me more of a clue than that.

Spellcheck says "replace xxx by yyy" (to quote you).
It seems to me that this is just like using "replace all" to replace (\W)xxx(\W) by \1yyy\2, which can then be undone if necessary.

So why should it be fantastically more difficult to make the spellcheck change undoable?

Sorry to be a pain, but I really don't understand the problem here.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In spell check multiple replaces typically happen quickly, you can essentially click the replace button one after the other with no intervening steps, if the topmost suggestion is correct.

In replace all you need to enter a separate search and replace term each time.

That means that the cost of creating checkpoints is relatively much higher in the case of spell check, compared tot he typical time spent per replacement.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I dislike (full) Auto-anythings. (I don't need help messing up. I am very good at it, I have lots of practice )
I launch a SAVE before I do another bulk operation... (After checking what I do have )

Yes, I have had to retrieve a clean copy from the archive/device, on ocasion.

So thank Kovid for leaving the decision of when to save to me.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #24
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
In spell check multiple replaces typically happen quickly, you can essentially click the replace button one after the other with no intervening steps, if the topmost suggestion is correct.
Mmmm. You can also do it all too easily when the topmost suggestion is NOT correct, as I've found to my cost...

How about making it an option, disabled by default, which clumsy idiots like me can turn on if we're prepared to accept the performance hit?
Old 10-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #25
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
How about making it an option, disabled by default, which clumsy idiots like me can turn on if we're prepared to accept the performance hit?
My two cents: You know about the performance. In a bit, the performance hit will be forgotten and users will complain about calibre being slower because of the checkpoint.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:07 AM   #26
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
My two cents: You know about the performance. In a bit, the performance hit will be forgotten and users will complain about calibre being slower because of the checkpoint.
They will only complain if they turn on the option deliberately (which should be accompanied by a tooltip warning like e.g. the "save metadata to file" option) and then forget they've done so.

I would just like the option (nothing compulsory here) not to have to redo two hours work every time my mouse button bounces, even if if costs me a couple of seconds on each change. As it is, I'm compelled to always "get it right" or to create manual checkpoints after each change (which takes longer to do than an automated checkpoint and can be forgotten).

But I'm starting to feel like a voice in the wilderness. Am I really the only clumsy one when it comes to running spell checks?
Old 10-19-2015, 03:14 AM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Here you go, without using checkpoints:

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...4477c2487b6b16
Old 10-19-2015, 06:03 AM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Good compromise - an "Oops" button

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #29
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.

Quote:

Excellent, you're my hero (again). Now a single slip won't be a total disaster.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:15 AM   #30
Under the Covers
Night Reader
Under the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura aboutUnder the Covers has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS-650
Just noticed this thread, as one who has had to revert to prior checkpoint and start again. Thanks for the "oops button" -- like that name.
Under the Covers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spellcheck, undo