Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2014, 12:46 AM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Newbie to PW2, few questions

I couldn't resist the $79 for a refurbished PW2 offer, and even though I can't see myself using it that often, I can take advantage of rental books through Prime, so that alone will more than pay for it. And it never hurts to have another toy! But there's a few things I'd really like changed on it.

1. Adding my own fonts. The fonts on it are just too thin and there doesn't seem to be a way to darken them or make them bolder unless you add your own fonts. I have to say this is the biggest disappointment on the reader. The easy trick using the USE_ALT_FONTS file and adding them doesn't work on a PW2, so is the only way to do it by jailbreaking the reader? I upgraded to 5.6.1 and from what I've read so far it seems most likely that I should downgrade back to 5.4 and use the present methods of jailbreaking to add my own fonts? Is there one post that has all the information on doing it all, jailbreaking and adding the fonts? This is the biggest issue for me to comfortably read the free books.

2. Is there a metadata plugboard setup that will rename the books to show Title [#] Series?

3. I'd like to be able to have Calibre sort books into the Collections I set when I send them to the device automatically, the same as it works for Sony and Kobo readers. Is that possible without too much trouble or having to repeat it each firmware upgrade? The hacks for the Kindle seems far more involved (and risky) than what is needed for Sony or Kobo readers.

4. Is there a way to have the cover of the book you're reading display while the reader is asleep?

#1 really is the most important one for me, and as long as Calibre can rename the books to include the series info, the last 2 would be nice but I could live without them.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:07 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
- - - -
I upgraded to 5.6.1 and from what I've read so far it seems most likely that I should downgrade back to 5.4 . . . .
- - - -
You can try to downgrade, do not expect it will work -
(5.6.x series has the "Downgrade Attack" (lab126's phrase) protection included).

If you can't downgrade (there isn't any JB for 5.6.anything) then -
Live with it -
or
Return it -
or
Add a serial port adapter to the operator's console.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:09 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's no way to do a factory reset on a Kindle that will put it back at the firmware it was shipped with? I haven't installed any hacks at all, no jailbreaks, nothing but upgraded the stock firmware.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A factory reset has no effect whatsoever on the firmware. It just deletes user data.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:52 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For others who are considering stepping into this mine field:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=6
Old 11-17-2014, 04:54 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally, I think that the 5.6.1 firmware version is a huge step forward, particularly for people who use collections. It makes significant - and extremely sensible - changes to the way that Cloud Collections work, so if installing patches, hacks, etc, is of no concern to you (and I have no interest whatsoever in doing so!), it's a very worthwhile upgrade to install.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:48 AM   #7
bchaplin
Enthusiast
bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bchaplin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, K3 (Kindle Keyboard)
Hi! Where did you get the refurbished PW2? I looked for this yesterday to see if it was an option and somehow couldn't find them.

(I purchased a refurbished PW1 some time ago and it has been great.)
bchaplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
Hi! Where did you get the refurbished PW2? I looked for this yesterday to see if it was an option and somehow couldn't find them.

How many do you want? PM me.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally, I think that the 5.6.1 firmware version is a huge step forward, particularly for people who use collections. It makes significant - and extremely sensible - changes to the way that Cloud Collections work, so if installing patches, hacks, etc, is of no concern to you (and I have no interest whatsoever in doing so!), it's a very worthwhile upgrade to install.
You can do that sort of thing with a Kindle?

I thought they where just hardware kits without any use other than to be taken apart.

- - - - -

My new KT2 shipped with 5.6.1 - -
I only turned it on long enough to be sure it wasn't DOA before I took it apart. So I really can't say if 5.6.1 has any redeeming features or not.

Oh, I did notice the change in the "Hold power button >20 seconds" behavior.
And that it is an IR scanner like the original KT, not a capacitive touch screen like the other two 2014 models.

Internally, the KT2 is much more like the K4 (which it replaced in the product line-up) than the KT.

Last edited by knc1; 11-17-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:

1. Adding my own fonts. This is the biggest issue for me to comfortably read the free books..
You can embed your font for books that you side load. Won't help with the once a month free Prime books, though.

Quote:
2. Is there a metadata plugboard setup that will rename the books to show Title [#] Series?.
Yes there is. For side loaded books.

Quote:
3. I'd like to be able to have Calibre sort books into the Collections I set when I send them to the device automatically, the same as it works for Sony and Kobo readers.
There is a JB hack but it will never be as simple and easy as it is for Sony or Kobo readers.

Quote:
4. Is there a way to have the cover of the book you're reading display while the reader is asleep?.
requires an ad free device and jailbreak.

Quote:
#1 really is the most important one for me, and as long as Calibre can rename the books to include the series info, the last 2 would be nice but I could live without them.
See knc1's response about JB. (i.e. you're screwed)

Last edited by booklover6; 11-17-2014 at 08:30 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I added the: "HarryT Exception" to the overview on upgrading PW2 devices.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You can do that sort of thing with a Kindle?

I thought they where just hardware kits without any use other than to be taken apart.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I upgraded to 5.6.1 and from what I've read so far it seems most likely that I should downgrade back to 5.4 and use the present methods of jailbreaking to add my own fonts?
I can personally attest that at present downgrading is not doable from 5.6.1.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
I sideload all of my books, so I wouldn't really be making use of the new Cloud Collections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post

They had special pricing on it, I got a notice in an email from Amazon, I think one of their Gold Deals for the day. It said a 2-3 week expected delivery date, but it came in only 6 days (and a Sunday delivery!), I was a bit surprised. It can still be purchased here but for $20 higher:
http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refu.../dp/B00CTTJRTU

As I said, I can't ever see me using it as a main reader, especially having capacitive touch, and with the thinner fonts. Embedding fonts in every ebook is something I really don't want to bother with. But for $79, it's probably worth it just to experiment on. I'll have to think about it this week and decide if I keep it or not.

Thanks for all the help. I could kick myself for doing the upgrade though.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

"I could kick myself for doing the upgrade though."

I completely understand.