Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #16
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Robert McCammon's Speaks the Nightbird. Historical fiction with no supernatural elements. Very well done.

http://www.amazon.com/Speaks-Nightbi...009A4YDQD0ACWT
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:41 AM   #17
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
Mary Renault The King Must Die and many of her other novels. Historical fiction Ancient Greece. Loved these.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6UO/...I28P97WQ82IPVH

The Eagle has Landed by Jack Higgins WWII http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Landed-L...gle+has+landed

Penmarric by Susan Howatch loved this when I first read it. Kind of de Maurier in feel. Family saga with a gothic touch. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009DA5FXU/...I3P9VQAS1OGN9E

Katherine by Anya Seton great historical novel 14 c. England (John of Gaunt and Katherine Swynford) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008454XNS/...I3FVWQOR83XMAM

God is an Englishman, R. F. Delderfield great saga on a grand scale. Starts mid 19th c. http://www.amazon.com/God-Englishman...+an+englishman

The Poldark novels by Winston Graham historical novels from the late 18th c. England. http://www.amazon.com/Ross-Poldark-N...ywords=poldark

The Dorothy Sayers Peter Wimsey mysteries. http://www.amazon.com/Unnatural-Deat...dorothy+sayers

Highly recommend all of the above and more....

It is interesting, there are some Georgette Heyers, http://www.amazon.com/Regency-Buck-G...eorgette+heyer, and Heyer mysterieshttp://www.amazon.com/Blunt-Instrume...eorgette+heyer but not all of them, enough to hook someone though. I have them all and have read them all many times. The same with other authors, a few books by a prolific author. A good technique to get us to buy, eventually.

There are lots of mystery series or parts of. Some of the mysteries are old classics like Rinehart, John Gardner, Leslie Charteris (The Saint), Lawrence Sanders, etc. I was really surprised!

And this too: Montalbano's First Case by Camilleri a novella

Oh and The Coroner's Lunch by Cotterill great mystery series. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J52G3ZA/...I2DRUXM0R9HLN2

After perusing through the books, found about 150 that I might want to read or reread. So am doing the free month, and probably much longer, though I have way too many books to read already!

Also if anyone knits or crochets check out the non fiction.

Last edited by Carmelreader; 08-12-2014 at 02:30 AM.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #18
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Those interested in the Kennedy assassination should definitely try Me and Lee by Judyth Vera Baker. A story so fantastic you will have trouble believing it’s for real. The ebook does contain some annoying formatting problems especially as biographies are interspersed with the narrative, sometimes in the middle of a sentence.

Also Killing JFK: 50 Years, 50 Lies by Lance Moore is excellent especially in debunking Posner, O’Reilly and others.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #19
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
If you like short stories, The Best American Mystery Stories 2013 (2012, 2011) usually have a few very good ones. Others in The Best American.... series are available as well.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #20
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
A lot of the Wildside Megapacks are in KU.If you like short stories like I do they are worth a look.They focus mostly on Sci-Fi, Horror and mystery.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #21
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Found a slew of Mignon G. Eberhart's mysteries available in KU, several titles by James Ellroy, a number of lesser-known James M. Cain books, some Otto Penzler anthologies. Also Stephen Rebello's Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho.

ETA: There are also several titles by the wonderful Barbara Pym.

Last edited by Catlady; 09-06-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #22
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Has anyone spotted any major authors among the Kindle Unlimited books? I did the other day when I spotted a Poul Anderson book series in the Unlimited books. Who is Poul Anderson, well you need to be familiar with all of the major Science Fiction authors in order to know who Poul Anderson was, he has been dead for a few years now. Back in the 80s and 90s he was one of the best Science Fiction authors of the time and constantly on the New York Times bestsellers lists. So there are some major book authors in the Kindle Unlimited program you just need to as my wife puts it best when she says "You need to know what you are looking at."
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #23
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Has anyone spotted any major authors among the Kindle Unlimited books?
Of authors I've read, there's Arthur C. Clarke, Kurt Vonnegut & Michael Lewis (Moneyball guy). I'm probably gonna do the 30-day trial to read Lewis' latest Flash Boys.
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #24
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Has anyone spotted any major authors among the Kindle Unlimited books? I did the other day when I spotted a Poul Anderson book series in the Unlimited books. Who is Poul Anderson, well you need to be familiar with all of the major Science Fiction authors in order to know who Poul Anderson was, he has been dead for a few years now. Back in the 80s and 90s he was one of the best Science Fiction authors of the time and constantly on the New York Times bestsellers lists. So there are some major book authors in the Kindle Unlimited program you just need to as my wife puts it best when she says "You need to know what you are looking at."
You are missing out if you haven't read any Poul Anderson. I remember particularly off the top of my head a couple of his short stories, "The Queen of Air and Darkness" and "Goat Song", which I enjoyed years ago.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #25
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Fire, Kindle Pwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I saw some Jasper Fforde books listed there.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #26
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
A lot of the books being released by Open Road Media are available in the KU program. Open Road is focused on bringing backlist titles to eBook format. You'll find some Piers Anthony, John DeChancie, M E Kerr, Theodore Sturgeon, Patricia Wrede, and Sarah Zettel.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #27
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
So I guess amazon could state in its advertisement that the program has a lot of major published authors, one just needs to know who they are.

I like the anticipation of a forthcoming novel from an author that I have read. Right now I am anticpating books from TR Harris and Ryk Brown. I hope I can tell by looking at the KU library if they have published anything lately.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:00 AM   #28
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Robert McCammon's Speaks the Nightbird. Historical fiction with no supernatural elements. Very well done.

http://www.amazon.com/Speaks-Nightbi...009A4YDQD0ACWT
Fbone - Thanks for your recommendation. I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through this book, and certainly agree that it is very well done. Excellent recommendation!

This book is the first book of a series, but unfortunately the other books in the series are not in the KU program. I'm fairly certain I will read them some time soon, as I am very much enjoying Speaks the Nightbird.

Thanks again for your outstanding recommendation.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote