Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #1
jetpoet
jetpoet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non-touch No-3G Wi-fi 4.1.1
Kindle 4 randomly resetting to snapshot (where does it store it?)

I have this Kindle 4 Non-touch Non-4G 4.1.1 who froze/stopped working and I unbricked it by pressing the power button for +10 secs and it rebooted and started working again. But it continually randomly froze again, rebooted by itself or performed a “reset factory settings” by itself. So I decided to clean it up.

I deleted everything in it, I deleted the hidden system files, I did a FULL FORMAT. The Kindle now is clean and pure, but the thing that leaves me flabbergasted is, if I perform a “Reset to factory settings” on this clean, pure Kindle, it shows up the old books and old document files that I deleted!

Not all of them, but it’s more of a snapshot of my Kindle content of some months before. It’s like if it’s going back to a “restore point” created months before. And if I delete the books and documents again and perform a “Reset to factory settings”, it goes back to that snapshot/restore point.

So my question is: where is it storing this content (books, documents, collections details etc.)?

-There is no hidden partition on it
-It is not taking them from the air as its wifi (and my router wifi) is turned off and it’s not a 3G model.

Last thing: I tried entering the diagnostic menu by putting the ENABLE_DIAGS file in it and rebooting but it didn’t work (it booted like usual and deleted the ENABLE_DIAGS file)

Davide
jetpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It isn't pulling them from a "snapshot" -
Just from when the FAT32 USB storage partition was last working properly.

- - - - -

A K4 - that means an old machine with an old (possibly low storage capacity) battery.

Ensure the battery is fully charged. Be certain sure.

Then try using Kubrick on it.
Note: There is a (normally off) menu item that will rebuild the two user storage areas - select it (turn it on).

Report back with the results.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 AM   #3
jetpoet

Ok. I tried to use Kubrick. I followed the on-screen instructions very carefully. All went smooth until Kubrick told the Kindle to reboot and enter the diagnostics mode. The Kindle rebooted, but it didn't enter the diagnostic mode. It just showed the USB Drive Mode. I tried several times, but to no avail.

What now?

Last edited by jetpoet; 08-15-2014 at 06:01 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpoet View Post
Ok. I tried to use Kubrick. I followed the on-screen instructions very carefully. All went smooth until Kubrick told the Kindle to reboot and enter the diagnostics mode. The Kindle rebooted, but it didn't enter the diagnostic mode. It just showed the USB Drive Mode. I tried several times, but to no avail.

What now?
Advertise it on e-bay as "spare parts only".

The battery is glued in-place on the K4 models, very difficult to install a new one without damage to something.

It is now a bit too late, but:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2810749
Old 08-15-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
jetpoet

I'm very sorry to hear this

Anyway: what I gather from the links you posted is that the flash chip is faulty due to a damaged battery, and that happened even before I tried Kubrick on my device?

Did I get it right?

Last edited by jetpoet; 08-15-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpoet View Post
I'm very sorry to hear this

Anyway: what I gather from the links you posted is that the flash chip is faulty due to a damaged battery, and that happened even before I tried Kubrick on my device?

Did I get it right?
That is a good summary.

Some battery types have a decreasing maximum terminal voltage as they age ;
Li-Ion has a decreasing storage capacity as they age.

Use/Charge patterns do influence how fast the Li-Ion batteries age.

The battery management system in an electric or hybrid-electric car, where a new battery costs $10,000+, have a very sophisticated system (and they are not glued in).
($45,000 for the battery in your Tesla Model S and they might as well be glued in, you remove the car from the battery, not the battery from the car.)

The Kindles also have a battery management system, not quite on-par with those used in cars.
I.E: You will not see 10 years+ of useful life, two to three is more like it.

- - - -

Mr. Edison "got it right" with his "Edison Battery" (Nickel-Iron) - those have useful lifetimes measured in decades. Some of the originals are still working.

Last edited by knc1; 08-15-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
jetpoet

Well, I guess that's it then.

Thanks anyway for your valuable support.

Greetings from Italy,
Davide

Tags
kindle 4