Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #16
dentateck
Enthusiast
dentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura aboutdentateck has a spectacular aura about

Device: Nook ST, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
David, many thanks for the links to 3.2.0. Installed it on my Aura HD, tested it to see if Wi-Fi bug was fixed and it wasn't, at least for my unit. In the process found out that 3.2.0 broke compatibility to the CoolReader installed on my HD (which has FAR superior user experience than built in engine in my opinion, like day and night). Went back to 3.1.1 and CoolReader works again, for me it's much more important than Wi-Fi bug. I might never update again, at least until Sergey updates his package to work with 3.2.0
Old 02-24-2014, 11:43 PM   #17
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Of course a VERY easy means to prevent updates is just to make sure the internal storage is close to full, so there is not enough space to download and install the update.(Say leave somewhere on the order of 80 to 100 meg free on the device).
That's brilliant, PeterT!
Old 02-24-2014, 11:47 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I've suggested over on the Kobo Utility Plugins thread this addition; now to see if our calibre guru likes it
Old 02-25-2014, 02:44 AM   #19
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Thanks to DNSB.

I've updated the first post in the Direct Links thread.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:08 AM   #20
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Installed and tested the 3.2 : this has *not* solved the Wifi bug.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:41 AM   #21
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
3.1.1 was excellent on my Glo, but I've noticed a couple of issues with 3.2.0:

1. When sleeping/waking the screen refreshes which is good, but it is a very clumsy sort of refresh, the screen flashes black for about half a second instead of the normal quick flash, and there is a line of garbage about 15 pixels high at the bottom of the screen during the refresh.

2. In a kepub, after double tapping to zoom an image, double tapping again to unzoom, then turning the page, the text on the next page is off-centre, as if it has not reset the frame from the image viewer. Turning the page forwards and then back again fixes it. The screenshots attached shows what the text on the page after the page with the image looks like: as it should be; and off-centre after the image on the previous page was zoomed.

Edit: This is with a Kobo-bought kepub, not a sideloaded one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	305
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	119555   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	299
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	119556  

Last edited by GeoffR; 02-25-2014 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Kobo-bought kepub, not sideloaded
Old 02-25-2014, 05:18 AM   #22
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

Reactionnary

I followed the bumpy update ride for some months, then decided to give up for good. Since last July, I did not turn on my wifi. I kept 2.8.1 with the wonderful Kobo Patcher (no long paragraph bug, Genius advanced features for side-loaded fonts), some cool dictionaries, French hyphenation, and I really do not feel any wish to change anything.

I never opened a kepub.

Last edited by roger64; 02-25-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #23
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i did not expect the "long paragraph bug" to bother me much but Anne Rice's Interview With The Vampire is chock full of 1+page paragraphs, so lots of half empty pages when reading
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #24
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
i did not expect the "long paragraph bug" to bother me much but Anne Rice's Interview With The Vampire is chock full of 1+page paragraphs, so lots of half empty pages when reading
Eventually the siren call of the Kobo Patcher may prove too much to resist
Old 02-25-2014, 07:29 AM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've suggested over on the Kobo Utility Plugins thread this addition; now to see if our calibre guru likes it
It sounds like a good idea. Does it let the sync happen?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #26
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I can also easily envision circumstances where one might be amenable to buying & downloading a book, but not want to download something the size of a firmware upgrade if on a mobile hotspot or the like where the cost of data might be at a premium, or where one may be approaching a data limit.
During a sync, the new books are downloaded first, then the current books update takes place and at the very end a firmware is downloaded if one is available. One can stop the sync at that moment to avoid the firmware and still read the newly bought book. Tiresome, but possible before something better comes up.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 AM   #27
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Eventually the siren call of the Kobo Patcher may prove too much to resist
Its calling to me already

( but I though it was only for older firmwares ? )
Old 02-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #28
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Its calling to me already

( but I though it was only for older firmwares ? )
It works fully on fw v3.1.1.

On fw 3.2.0 GeoffR has everything working so far, except for Advanced Font Control for all fonts and a couple of others. See this thread for details.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #29
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It works fully on fw v3.1.1.

On fw 3.2.0 GeoffR has everything working so far, except for Advanced Font Control for all fonts and a couple of others. See this thread for details.
That font control is the best thing about the patcher, so I have no plans to upgrade to 3.2.0.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
During a sync, the new books are downloaded first, then the current books update takes place and at the very end a firmware is downloaded if one is available. One can stop the sync at that moment to avoid the firmware and still read the newly bought book. Tiresome, but possible before something better comes up.
Sorry, the firmware update check and download is done first. If there is an update available, the sync is not done. For a discussion on this see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234211.
Closed Thread