Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
ConcreteWorld
ConcreteWorld began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc 7 T647
Sync causes books to be removed from collection

Kobo Arc 7 T647

Just got the Kobo Arc 7 (released Oct 17th). (also have 2 mini's and a Kobo Arc)

I've had no issues on the other devices with side load books staying in the tapestries/shelves etc, but the Arc7, has frustrated me completely.

I've loaded a bunch of Dickens novels onto the reader, once by using a micro SD (import and then deleted them from the card) and then drag and drop from my computer. I move them into a collection(s) and everything is great...until, I get a popup for 'importing' again and then they are gone from the collections, but do remain in the 'Books' collection. Add them again, and then 20 minutes later...they are gone again from the collection. The collection folder (if that is what its called) remains.

I did a reset of the device and reloaded the books (even with a factory reset) the actual collection folders still remained. I reloaded the books and they were moved out of the collections again.

I have searched like crazy trying to find some way to turn off the 'sync' with my kobo.com account. The account is NOT associated with the other Kobo's i have. The only kobo associated with it is the arc 7.

I've wasted 2 days on this. If it's not possible for side load books to remain in a collection, then sorry...this kobo has to go back.
ConcreteWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
ConcreteWorld
ConcreteWorld began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc 7 T647
In addition to the above:
1) Created a new kobo account online.
2) In the settings of the Kobo there is a + to add account, you click that and it tells you that you can only have one account. Fine...logged in with new account, but the old account still shows as the one tied to the Kobo.
3)Turned off the Kobo and on again, still the old account, tried again, no luck. Did another reset. Added books, tried everything again. 15 minutes later, the books were gone from the collections again.
4) Resolution: Went online and ordered an Ipad mini for my daughter instead, will be returning the Kobo arc 7 tomorrow.

In my limited review of the Arc 7 it has huge disadvantages over other models as an e-reader. I won't comment on the app/android part of it since I didn't spend any time on them.

1) Unable to search for books properly. You can change the search settings for the Kobo to search books, but it doesn't work well since it's not a search specific to inside the Book/collection area.
2) Unable to move more than one book at a time to a collection. Tie that in with being unable to search for books means it's a tedious affair - and something I can't believe Kobo dropped the ball on. I would of expected they put more into their reading application since that's their business.
3) Unable to drag/drop books onto the actual collection instead of having to go the extra steps and 'add to collection' and then select the collection, and click done.
4) The fact that there are issues with books, bookmarks, collections etc, and very little support on the Kobo website...it's all pretty rosy there.
ConcreteWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As you have an Arc, you might want to contact a moderator and get this moved into the "Kobo Tablet" subforum. You will probably get better help there as you have posted in the Developers section which is mainly about the e-ink based Kobo devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo arc 7