Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Help with toc.ncx file please

I'm sure I've seen ebooks with two level pop up menus in which when one selects an item the screen clears and several sub items show up.

Can anyone tell me the name of an ebook which has that structure - preferably from the MR library - or point me to instructions how to do it?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Do you mean a multi-level TOC or are you referring to something else?

If you do mean multi-level TOC then you could look at:

2 Level TOC: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219302

3 Level TOC: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=134894

On my Sony PRS-300 the levels certainly display in the manner you describe. Presumably more levels could easily be defined but I don't know how many levels various readers support.

Last edited by Agama; 08-29-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
How a particular device chooses to display a multi-level/nested toc.ncx is not configurable from within the epub ... to my knowledge, anyway. The Sonys may behave as you've described, but most devices/apps I have access to just have collapsible/expandible sections for the various levels.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks to you both

Agama: Yes, I do mean multilevel ToC. I'll check the threads you mentioned.

DiapDealer: I don't think my memory is that bad, even at my advanced age. If it didn't happen the way I described it was something similar.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, Agama

Your ebooks have exactly the setup I want. I'll open up the Matthew Henry file, go over your toc.ncx file, and learn from that. Karma on it's way.

I haven't read Matthew Henry for years, so it will be interesting to see how familiar it is.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

I think I've just worked out how to do a two level pop up menu, but though the test ebook I've done works exactly as I want with ADE and on my Sony it doesn't work on my Kobo Touch or iPad/iBooks.

I've attached the ebook; could some kind soul check it please to see whether I've made a mistake, or whether the fault is with with the Kobo and iBooks?
Attached Files
File Type: epub TestToC2.epub (51.8 KB, 190 views)
Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I think I've just worked out how to do a two level pop up menu, but though the test ebook I've done works exactly as I want with ADE and on my Sony it doesn't work on my Kobo Touch or iPad/iBooks.
if you mean the little arrows that animate open and closed in ADE, then, as DiapDealer pointed out, this isn't configurable within the epub, the it's up to the reader to display the nested TOC as it will.

ADE:
Spoiler:

iBooks:
Spoiler:
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Thanks, mzmm. I just wanted to check that my markup was correct.