Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 02-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
I'm actually considering Librie...

I'll list my reasons, and i would like your opinion thx in advance

Pros:
- The battery. It uses AAA batteries..so even if i get caught with empty batteries, I could replace it easily, instead of waiting 4 hours just to recharge Reader's battery. More page "flips" too. (my main reason to get Librie instead of Reader)
-Patchable to english
-it has a mini keyboard, so im guessing the dictionary should be easier to use, though slow (english is not my native language, i'd need some handy help)
-i might be able to get it from singapore (i'm in indonesia)

Cons:
BBeB
But i dont really mind it. Most of the stuff i want to read, i have the "masters" in html, txt and pdfs. Spending some minutes to convert it shouldnt be much trouble. I'll consider it as time taken to drive to a bookstore to get paper books. and because i'd still have the masters, i can change to next generation ebook reader later without worrying too much.

For page refresh time, I saw the video, and decided that its not that bad.

any other factors i should pay attention to?
should i wait?

thank you
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
luag
Zealot

well...Sony is not being very clear about file formats support.
I just visited Librie yahoo group and found this on a message about Sony taking pre-orders on Readers:
"More than eBooks
The Sony Reader isn’t just about reading eBooks. Using the included CONNECT™ Reader PC Software, you can easily transfer Adobe® PDF documents, BBeB Book, and other text file formats to the Reader. Seamlessly search, browse and download user-selected RSS Web content from CONNECT™ Store to the PC and transfer to your Sony® Reader. Take along your favorite Web newsfeeds, blogs and more to read where ever you are."

have they changed their mind, thus supporting more file formats?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I'm not sure, but I think the point is that you have to convert the documents to their format to read it. You can't just read, say, a pdf document as-is.

This also means that you are completely dependent on their conversion software, and the formats it supports and how well they support and maintain the software.

Other thoughts?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
The Reader is, of course, the latest device, hence some new features, including native PDF support. (Meaning you can load PDFs directly.) One caveat: according to an Adobe blog, the Sony Reader's PDF viewer cannot reflow text.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
luag
Zealot

BobR: thats my understanding as well....but that particular sentence is not so clear about it :/

anyways, one very possible scenario that could happen is that during first weeks of release, hacks could be found everywhere on the internet so that Reader can support various file formats (a la PSP).

another thing i would love to know as well is whether the battery in Reader is an internal one (like iPod), or a replacable one like digital cameras.

Laurens: it makes the feature kinda useless, dont you think? :/

Last edited by luag; 03-01-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by luag
Laurens: it makes the feature kinda useless, dont you think? :/
Not exactly. The vast majority of PDFs do not have the structural tags needed to let a viewer reflow text correctly in the first place.

PDFs have to be formatted especially for the Reader's dimensions instead.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
luag
Zealot

i see...thanks for clearing that up
still troublesome, but better than the propretiary format in terms of compatability with other devices...