Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Just Installed Debian on my K3G - What Can I do Now?

Hi,

I just installed Debian on my K3G - using up 500MB of space.

What can I do now with Debian that I was not able to do with just Jailbreak?

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
apt-get
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
With apt-get, just installing a SMALL portion of the debian repository, I quickly filled up my 2GB image file. You can start with sudo apt-get bsdgames. It even has an ncurses-based tetris, besides the old "teletype" classics trek and adventure (i.e. colossal cave)

You can also add other package repositories to apt-get, and you can use ipkg or opkg to install smaller packages from the optware repositories.

I even installed qemu, and ran MS-DOS inside it using ncurses text mode, but there were some issues with eink and white-on-black characters. You needed to change the screen colors in DOS to make it usable.

And you can install gcc and the other full build utilities. Whatever you want, basically...

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-06-2012 at 12:03 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Thanks for the tip.

Apparently the Debian I installed does not have sudo. It does not even have ps or vi.

Would you please tell me how do I get the additional commands on Debian?

Thanks,
James
Old 04-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118472
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
Thanks for the tip.

Apparently the Debian I installed does not have sudo. It does not even have ps or vi.

Would you please tell me how do I get the additional commands on Debian?

Thanks,
James
Actually, as long as you SSH into the root account, you do not need sudo. That just executes a command as root. You can leave it off in the kindle...
Old 04-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
jmseight
Zealot

Hi,

Optware will need another 250MB. Also, the instruction is asking for another partition and seems to be working with kindle OS, not Debian.

Is there a package that I can download to get full set of commands (like vi, ps, etc) on the Debian install - and hopefully will not take 250MB?

Thanks,
James
Old 04-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
Hi,

Optware will need another 250MB. Also, the instruction is asking for another partition and seems to be working with kindle OS, not Debian.

Is there a package that I can download to get full set of commands (like vi, ps, etc) on the Debian install - and hopefully will not take 250MB?

Thanks,
James
You can just add the busybox commands from the main and/or diags partitions to the search path and use them. Or you can install another busybox. Those tend to be a lot smaller than the individual commands that they replace.

You can mount diags like this:

mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/mmc

And then use commands in /mnt/mmc/bin ...

Busybox commands can be executed with named symlinks to busybox, using the command name as the first parameter, such as:

busybox dd if= ...

instead of

dd if= ...
Old 07-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
smartgenes
smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3
I have Debian on K3, and once mounted I get the message:

bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8)

and then apt-get install whatever fails with similar messages about the locale. What is this locale business, and how do I resolve it?

I wondered if apt-get could be used directly from the Kindle or SSH, or if I was getting muddled because it is an image file that somebody made of Debian.. So I wondered how I can still install with apt-get even though it is a mounted image?

I tried such things as:
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get install dialog locales

but that didn't seem to help.
Also is the repository I'm using, http://ftp.us.debian.org unstable InRelease ok?

It gets so far with packages then reminds me of the locales problem.
smartgenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
LMGTFY
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
smartgenes
smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.smartgenes got an A in P-Chem.

goggling google

Didn't help much.

root@kindle:/etc/default# export LC_ALL=en_US
bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale (en_US)

Editing the contents of etc/locale or etc/environment
didn't change anything either...

Installations usually result in something like the following:

root@kindle:/etc/default# apt-get install libc-bin

Spoiler:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libattr1 libc6 libcap2
Suggested packages:
glibc-doc locales
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libcap2
The following packages will be upgraded:
libattr1 libc-bin libc6
3 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 83 not upgraded.
Need to get 1226 kB/5474 kB of archives.
After this operation, 595 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Get:1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main libc-bin armel 2.17-7 [1226 kB]
Fetched 1226 kB in 16s (73.2 kB/s)
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = "en_US.UTF-8",
LC_ALL = "en_US",
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
Can not write log, openpty() failed (/dev/pts not mounted?)
(Reading database ... 7466 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libattr1 1:2.4.44-2 (using .../libattr1_1%3a2.4.47-1_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libattr1 ...
Setting up libattr1 (1:2.4.47-1) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libcap2.
(Reading database ... 7467 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libcap2 (from .../libcap2_1%3a2.22-1.2_armel.deb) ...
Setting up libcap2 (1:2.22-1.2) ...
(Reading database ... 7473 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6 2.13-4 (using .../libc6_2.17-7_armel.deb) ...
Checking for services that may need to be restarted...
Checking init scripts...
WARNING: this version of the GNU libc requires kernel version
2.6.32 or later. Please upgrade your kernel before installing
glibc.

The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
please add lenny sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
apt-get install -t lenny linux-image-2.6
Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.17-7_armel.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.17-7_armel.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@kindle:/etc/default# apt-get install --reinstall locales
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libc6
Suggested packages:
glibc-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
locales
The following packages will be upgraded:
libc6
1 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 84 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/8063 kB of archives.
After this operation, 15.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = "en_US.UTF-8",
LC_ALL = "en_US",
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
(Reading database ... 7473 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6 2.13-4 (using .../libc6_2.17-7_armel.deb) ...
Checking for services that may need to be restarted...
Checking init scripts...
WARNING: this version of the GNU libc requires kernel version
2.6.32 or later. Please upgrade your kernel before installing
glibc.

The installation of a 2.6 kernel _could_ ask you to install a new libc
first, this is NOT a bug, and should *NOT* be reported. In that case,
please add lenny sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list and run:
apt-get install -t lenny linux-image-2.6
Then reboot into this new kernel, and proceed with your upgrade
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.17-7_armel.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
configured to not write apport reports
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.17-7_armel.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

sources.list.d in etc/apt is empty, should I add lenny sources.. somehow that doesn't seem like the problem..
Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You have more than one problem there.

Give us some background please.

You mentioned "mounting the image file" - -
Tell us which image file you are using, either a "home brew" or the link to the one you started with.

How are you initializing the mounted image file?
Are you using a script? A "home brew" one or the link to the one you are using.

What machine and OS are you mounting this image file on?

PS: Why in the world did you think that libc-bin wasn't installed?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 AM   #13
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Missing locales usually only lead to non-fatal warnings. That's also the case here. As knc1 said, you've got other problems.

#1: /dev/pts isn't mounted (that would be within the chroot). That should probably also be non-fatal. For what you're doing now, that is. You'll need it for other things that actually use virtual terminals.

#2: Debian unstable (Sid) is NOT suited for your Kindle (or any Kindle, that is). As the error messages clearly tell, the libc used in newer Debians depends on a more current kernel version. As you're pretty much left with only one choice, which is lab126's shipped kernel, you're left with only older Debian versions.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #14
smartgenes

deb

Is there a working pre-built image somewhere? I assume Debian has to be 2.6.26 or earlier then, so Debian "potato"?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartgenes View Post
Is there a working pre-built image somewhere? I assume Debian has to be 2.6.26 or earlier then, so Debian "potato"?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=9
But read the entire thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote