Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #61
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
As people have talked about... the 505 could be upgraded software wise to support a WiFi SD card. This would require no change to the current device and it would be fully optional to buy a WiFi card. I personally think this is the best way for them to go.

BOb
I agree PILOTBOB FOR PRESIDENT of the MOBILE READ UNIVERSE and all things SONY!!!

JJ

ok a little over the top
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #62
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Eye-Fi is the one I was thinking of. But, sony could work with some one to OEM it, or do it themselves. To me making it an add-on accessory is a better option and more choices for revenue. If they build it in and jack up the reader $50 sales could drop. As an add-on they could sell it to current 500/505 owners too.

BOb
If Sony did it you would end up with a WIFI Memory STick, But the PSP has been WIFI enabled from the start so I am sure they have the ability, I havent opened up my PSP to see what provides the WIFI but I am sure it isnt that large a component.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #63
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I'd like to see at least a properly supported WiFi or Wispernet option. However, I like my 505 just the way it is. Also, if you can reformate your pdf to a smaller page I theink they work better.

Although whenever possible I Control C and put the data into a word doc and save as an RTF, although with Calibre I suspect it's even easier. Don't know for sure as I haven't tried it yet.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #64
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
If Sony did it you would end up with a WIFI Memory STick,
I doubt it. Sony are the only ones to use the Memory Stick format, and even they have begun to move away from it to SD.

Quote:
But the PSP has been WIFI enabled from the start so I am sure they have the ability, I havent opened up my PSP to see what provides the WIFI but I am sure it isnt that large a component.
They're using a Marvell W8580-BAN1 component. See http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919 for a PSP 3 teardown,
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:02 AM   #65
Fiacha
Enthusiast
Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo H20, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Why were the books part of the reason you rejected the Kindle?
If I buy paper, I have something that I can resell. If I buy electrons I cannot resell them when I am done. Therefore, the value to me of the electrons is lower than the cheapest available paper format. Setting the price of a Kindle book higher than the price of a readily available mass market paperback is a significant deterrent to buying a kindle (not that the Connect Store is noticably better).

Amazon has no excuse since they sell the paper editions and so have the ability to set the kindle prices at a reasonable discount to the lowest paper edition automatically.

Fiacha
Fiacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:58 AM   #66
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiacha View Post
If I buy paper, I have something that I can resell. If I buy electrons I cannot resell them when I am done. Therefore, the value to me of the electrons is lower than the cheapest available paper format.
Speaking personally, I buy to keep. I don't resell books, so that's not a factor in my purchase decision.

Quote:
Setting the price of a Kindle book higher than the price of a readily available mass market paperback is a significant deterrent to buying a kindle (not that the Connect Store is noticably better).
Assuming there is a readily available mass market PB edition. What about the case of new releases only available in hardcover in a paper edition?

Quote:
Amazon has no excuse since they sell the paper editions and so have the ability to set the kindle prices at a reasonable discount to the lowest paper edition automatically.
But you assume Amazon controls the final price.

Retailers who sell books buy them from wholesalers or the publisher. They get them at a discount from the full retail price, and the difference is where they make their money.

We don't know what Amazon pays the publishers for the electronic editions they offer, but I'm willing to bet it varies by title. Depending upon the book, the price at which the publisher sells to them may not permit the pricing you desire.

And even if it does, that doesn't automatically mean Amazon will or should set the price that low. Pricing in a market economy is a matter of what the market will bear. The seller will want to set the price as high as possible to get the best margin and make the most money. "What the market will bear" is always the big question.

There was a thread elsewhere here with a poster recounting Amazon's pricing for a new Laurel K. Hamilton novel in Kindle format. The initial price was over $20. Over a period of a week or so, it dropped down to $15, and finally to the $10 price that is the more or less standard. No surprise at all. Amazon was assuming that there would be Hamilton fans who would want it badly enough to pay a higher price to get it right away. They could monitor the sales volume and make adjustments as it appeared demand was ebbing at the selected price point, and did.

From a business perspective, that's what Amazon should do, and it it doesn't, management can face questions from shareholders about why not.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #67
Fiacha
Enthusiast
Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiacha has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo H20, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Speaking personally, I buy to keep. I don't resell books, so that's not a factor in my purchase decision.

Assuming there is a readily available mass market PB edition. What about the case of new releases only available in hardcover in a paper edition?
______
Dennis
Remember that the question was 'why didn't I buy a Kindle. My answer boils down to 'I feel that Amazon is setting its prices too high'. I'll agree that Amazon is, nominally, answerable to its shareholders. Even so, if the prices are high enough to deter me from buying I am free to assume that their prices are generally limiting their ability to sell product.

I did make the point that their prices should be at a discount from their lowest price for paper (note that they make this comparison hard), not that the Kindle edition should always be $5 or so. If you are desparate for a kindle version when only a hardback is available then you should be willing to bay the premium. However, asking $10 when a mass market paperback is offered for $8 is not going to win my custom.

Fiacha
Fiacha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony reader, stan glasow