Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Portable Audio/Video

Notices

Old 06-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
iTunes 4.9 released - with podcasting support!

As of today iTunes 4.9 was released!

Quote:
With iTunes 4.9, you can now browse and subscribe to podcasts from within the iTunes Music Store. Podcasts are frequently updated radio-style shows downloadable over the Internet. You can also transfer podcasts to iPod, for listening on the go.
It seem the only major update is the podcasting component.

Also there is apparently (according to my software update on 10.4) a new iPod software updater, only for the "iPod with color display, iPod mini and iPod with Click Wheel" apparently... Seems older iPod users are being a bit left out.

I'll test and see if the podcasting component works with a 3G iPod though.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I've downloaded it myself, but I haven't pllugged my iPod in yet. (Part of the problem is that my iPod is dangerously close to being full and I need to manage the songs in my iTunes folder. Just to greedy to get rid of any I guess.)

I do hope that the podcasting feature in iTunes is better than the free version of iPodderX (v.2, I knnow there's a new "completely rewritten" version available, but I hear it's still buggy.) I have the feeling that iTunes will get it right, and you can't beat the price.
POL9A
Old 06-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
The podcasting part of iTunes seem to work rather well. It does sync podcasts with, I assume, any iPod. It might be kinda pointless to use it with the iPod Shuffle, but on anything else it seems to just act like a playlist titled "Podcasts". The software update for some of the newer iPods, although I have no way to test it, is described as adding podcast features to the iPod itself.

For finding podcasts, it accesses a part of the ITMS, which you can: submit podcasts to, search through them, browse the top 100, etc. I could probably get used to listening to news pretty easily, seeing how much I use my iPod normally - except it would actually be for something productive.

Most of the options seem pretty standard. (Default noted by an asterisk.) When to check (every hour, every day*, every week, manually), what to do when new episodes are available (download all, download most recent*, do nothing), how many episodes to keep (all*, all unplayed, most recent, last 2, last 3, last 4, last 5, last 10), and then an iPod option - which podcasts to sync (all is the default, or you can manually select which ones). It seems like a pretty good UI overall for the podcasts.

Now, my question to others is, what good podcasts are there out there? Suggestions would be great.

I don't know if you can subscribe to podcasts not in the directory, as I've never used a podcasting application before and don't know how it's normally handled, but it seems anyone can add a podcast to the directory.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Podcasts I like...

IMAO - Its a conservative humor outlet unlike any youve heard.

CatholicInsider - Catholic Priest goes sightseeing in rome,germany, etc

Slacker Astronomy

This Week In Tech

This Week in Science
Old 06-29-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
There's a thread over at MacSlash with people's podcast recommendations.

http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=0...03&mode=thread

Also, we have a thread on MobileRead that bespeaks to the whole podcast phenomenon.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457

Enjoy.
POL9A
Old 06-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
My podcast list (RSS Feeds):

Make Blog
Engadget
Tech Addiction
1src
PalmAddicts
Inside Mac Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride Of Lions
There's a thread over at MacSlash with people's podcast recommendations.

http://macslash.org/article.pl?sid=0...03&mode=thread

Also, we have a thread on MobileRead that bespeaks to the whole podcast phenomenon.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457

Enjoy.
POL9A
8 months ahead of the 'mainstream' .

Brian

Last edited by ballistic; 06-29-2005 at 03:32 PM.