Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
lukeind
lukeind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 ("Keyboard"), Kindle Touch
Unhappy Kindle Touch & Instapaper

Hi,
I had a Kindle 3 and just upgraded to a Kindle Touch.

Iuse Instapaper on my browser often and once a week I have Instapaper send me my links in the form of a periodical. If you do too, you know how great the Kindle + Instapaper combo is.

Upon upgrading to the Kindle Touch though, I encountered 2 problems. 1 major. 1 minor.

Minor: Table of contents page does not work on the Kindle Touch. You only have your articles in a big continuing flow format with no option to get to the table of contents like before. Menu > GoTo > Cover or Beginning, only takes you to the 1st page of the first article. "Table of Contents" is blanked out entirely.

Major: I can't seem to delete Instapaper books/files from my Kindle Touch. Long pressing on the file from the main home screen does nothing. The pop up menu does not pop up! I can plug in my Kindle Touch to my PC and delete it through the file system (ie. Windows Explorer) but I can't seem to do it from the actual device.

Anyone else having these issues?
lukeind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Hi Lukeind. Welcome to the world of Kindle Touch quirks. Thanks to a lot of helpful people on the forum I may be able to shed some light.

With regards to the minor problem, Kindle uses a book reader and a periodical reader. When you e-mail the document to the Kindle Touch it converts it to a book. If you want the table of contents you have to side load the Instapaper document using usb.

With regards to the major problem, connect using calibre and delete the files. Just sort by author name "calibre."

Unfortunately this is life with the Kindle Touch. Lets see what changes the first upgrade brings us.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
lukeind

Thanks Stingo! very strange. I'm a huge Amazon fan and a huge Kindle fan but I'm really getting the feeling that the Kindle Touch is a rushed/unfinished product. It's still a great reader though- but I hope there are some improvements in the future- especially with momentary lag issues and strange quirks like these...

Thanks again!
Old 11-28-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
On the bright side, if you do side load your periodicals they be recognized as periodicals by the touch and will start getting pushed into your periodical directory when you load knew ones so you will not have to delete.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
mjfriedman
Connoisseur
mjfriedman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
One work around on the delete issue: go to the Manage My Kindle page and delete the document there. Then sync the touch. You should then be able to tap|long hold|delete the document from your Touch.

Hope this helps!
Michael
mjfriedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #6
lukeind

Thanks Michael. Good tip

I've just dont have instapaper automatically send me the files anymore. I just book marked instapaper's site on the "experimental" browser and just download mobi files whenever I'm about to read. Much less convenient but oh well...

Here's hoping that Amazon will fix the many issues related to the touch soon. I'm pretty disappointed by the product =/

Tags
delete, instapaper, kindle touch