Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
aage
aage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard WiFi
Hello to you, e-readers. Need your help:

First off, please allow me to introduce myself. Aage is my real first name, I live in Ottawa, I am married to an avid reader, and I need a 40th Wedding Anniversary gift soon!

My wife's sister's husband (yes, my brother-in-law) has a Kindle that he is nearly always staring at, but when I casually asked my wife what she thought of it, she dismissed it as a frivolous item, and told me that she "preferred real books" to it. I must say though, that she is far from being technology hungry; in fact, she emails by telling me, "<her sister, our daughter, or other recipient> needs to know <insert email message here> and would I send it to her please, quickly?

I have learned to print out any responses, since my feeble memory never seems to captures near enough detail, or she looks at me with doubtful eyes as if that particular information never really showed up on the computer.

And yet, I balance that with the fact that she loves to read, has difficulty carrying the voluminous bags of books back and forth to the library, and yet loves to go to the library. Oooh! It just occurred to me that I will have to find out what support our library system gives e-readers.

So! I ma looking to buy her one now, and the one I was first drawn to is the Kindle. It is my feeling that any attempt to include any other "computerish" functions would only make it too complicated, and add to the weight. And still, if it had wifi and a browser, and didn't add to bulk, who knows..?

Small, light, and good screen clarity. In short, that is what I am looking for.

I would dearly appreciate any and all comments that anyone would care to make.

Thanks in advance,

Aage
aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Aage and welcome to MobileRead. Many of our eBook enthusiasts, okay, addicts were, at first, reluctant to try eBooks preferring regular books but quickly changed their minds once they got their hands on an eBook reader. There are plenty of WiFi eBook readers so definitely check your wife's library. I've had a Sony 505 for well over three years and really like it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Well, not knowing your wife...... the fact that she has already dismissed the idea of owning a ebook reader doesn't seem to make it a good potential for an anniversary present. Not unless you throw it in as extra. I'd get a a present she likes, and maybe see if you can entice her later.

What has worked for some (I know it happened with my wife) is that one partner gets an ereader and then the other partner gets attracted to it over time. So maybe what you really need to do is buy one for yourself, then maybe she'll want one of her own later.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Hi Aage and welcome to Mobileread. My wife spent months claiming not to understand how I could possibly read an ebook reader - she would never dream of it! I bought her a cheap second-hand reader from here on Mobileread. Now she converts all her friends. Having said that, I'd get some flowers and jewellery as well if it's an anniversary pressie!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #6
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Welcome to MR!
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
aage
aage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard WiFi
Houston, we have lift-off!

Thanks to those who took the time to welcome me here. I can see that you are a dedicated group, and open to newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi Aage and welcome to MobileRead. Many of our eBook enthusiasts, okay, addicts were, at first, reluctant to try eBooks preferring regular books but quickly changed their minds once they got their hands on an eBook reader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
Well, not knowing your wife...... the fact that she has already dismissed the idea of owning a ebook reader doesn't seem to make it a good potential for an anniversary present.
Cassidy and Vic,

I have to admit that I took the bull by the horns and bought her a new Kindle Keyboard (used to be called the Kindle 3, I believe). It seems to have a good mix of the features she needs, and I also think that it might become a way for her to have her own non-threatening device to use for email. Time will tell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Hi Aage and welcome to Mobileread. My wife spent months claiming not to understand how I could possibly read an ebook reader - she would never dream of it! I bought her a cheap second-hand reader from here on Mobileread. Now she converts all her friends. Having said that, I'd get some flowers and jewellery as well if it's an anniversary pressie!
Well, I must admit that I shared Vic's fear that she would not adopt it, but as she was going away to spend a long weekend with her sister, and her sister's Kindle enthusiast husband, and then her brother and his wife, who apparently are also e-reader people, I thought it would be a chance for her to get advice and ideas from them. Such has proven to be the case from what she told me on the phone just now, and she seems to be getting quite taken by the little wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Welcome to MR!
Thanks, beppe! Now where do I know that name from!?

Well, it appears that the challenge will be to somehow find ways to procure reasonably-priced (or even better, free) books to read, that will run on the Kindle. Our local library system here has good support for e-readers, with the notable exception of Kindle! I see though, that in the US, some library systems have begun to add Kindle support, so hopefully that will follow up here, too.

Would anyone care to point out a good thread to start reading to help me in getting content?

Thanks again,

Aage

ps: I was amazed at how fast Amazon got that unit across the border to me! I order it very late Wednesday night, and it was delivered here Friday morning!!
aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:18 PM   #8
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
That is really great news that your wife took to the Kindle so fast. It took my wife 2 years of exposure to me using an e-reader before she became interested.

Lots of cheap and free content can be found if you search. There are loads of 99cent titles out there. And most "classics" can be downloaded free from the right site. Amazon has free content loaded, but if you are dliligent you can search other websites and manually download titles that are free. Smashwords.com is my most recent favorite site for new titles, and they have a good quantity of free versions too.... for the Kindle, you would have to download them to a computer and then side-load to your device. And of course, this very forum has a section of free classic titles and the mobi versions work on the Kindle.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new user, specifications, what machine