Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 03:17 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are using a cover, it's easier to hold the reader without touching the screen.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #32
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by nose-in-a-book View Post
our experience: Kobo Touch has dark, large fonts and is quite lightweight. easy for the over 80 year old relative with vision and arthritic hand issues! Use boils down to visualizing 3 vertical columns. Touch the left column, go back a page, touch the right one, go forward a page. touch the mid one, options pop up (contents. change fonts and layouts. etc) there is a brief 'welcome to kobo' item that walked her through it. first couple days, she revisited the walkthrough with me to get her confidence up. now its easy. a few days and she's finished a few books and going strong.
I want to do something nice for my older sister who has had a rough year. I watched a comparison video on the Kobo Touch and Nook Simple Touch today and I've almost decided to go with the Kobo. I almost bought one today, but BestBuy is sold out -- but for the price it looks like an excellent fit. I plan to load it up with books and use the MicroSD card to load lots of audiobooks for her.

The thing is, I don't see a lot of Kobo Touch users here...mostly Sony or Nook or Kindle. Makes me wonder why.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I want to do something nice for my older sister who has had a rough year. I watched a comparison video on the Kobo Touch and Nook Simple Touch today and I've almost decided to go with the Kobo. I almost bought one today, but BestBuy is sold out -- but for the price it looks like an excellent fit. I plan to load it up with books and use the MicroSD card to load lots of audiobooks for her.

The thing is, I don't see a lot of Kobo Touch users here...mostly Sony or Nook or Kindle. Makes me wonder why.
There are a lot of frustrated Kobo users. Check the Kobo forum section.

My suggestion is to wait and buy your sister the new Sony WiFi PRS-T1. It's only $149. Supposed to be out mid-September in the US.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #34
Joybells
reddit, reddit, reddit
Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joybells ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm an older reader with bad eyes - I bought a Kobo Touch, which I keep in a CaseCrown Regal Flip cover so it is more like a book to hold, and also gives somewhere to attach my reading light. I'm very happy with my Kobo, but then, I've never seen any other type - I had to send to USA for it.

The cover gives an easy hold. The touch page turn is easy and equates to the paper pageturning move of 60 years habit. The font is crisp and clear, the line spacing makes reading a lot easier than a paper book. I have used very few of the features available - in fact I've not discovered the onscreen keyboard yet, so when you show mum al it can do, don't blind her wih science - show her the bare minimum of features that she'll need to read, and leave it at that.
Joybells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #35
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are a lot of frustrated Kobo users. Check the Kobo forum section.

My suggestion is to wait and buy your sister the new Sony WiFi PRS-T1. It's only $149. Supposed to be out mid-September in the US.
Thanks -- I'm reading along on the current threads about the new Sony with interest. It does look like it would fit...but I'm still looking at the Kobo and Nook Touch as well. One thing I like about my Nook Color is not having to have an external light to read by.

OTOH...the e-ink readers might be easier to read for long periods of time, plus you can use them outdoors...right?

Does anyone know, offhand, which reader utilizes the largest MicroSD card?
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook device, usability