Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
sammy2k
Edge User

Smile In Love with PE

I got my PE from woot couple days back. I have been playing with it all the time so far. I have to say that it has exceeded all my expectations. This is my first andriod device. Here is the summary of my experience with PE so far:

Step 1:The package was fantastic. No hassle to open.
Step 2: Auto update
I plugged in the power and switched on the device. Both the screens came up. I configured my wi-fi. It asked me to register the device, which I did. I checked the software version (under Settings). I think it was Dingo 1.1. I was looking at icons and applications on the home screen. After few seconds, a message popped up that an update was available and whether to update the device. I agreed and the device downloaded the update and restarted itself. The whole process took about 10 minutes. Now the software version showed Dingo 1.3

Step 3: Upgrade to Ermine:
As explained by "obsessed2" in the post: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...ingo-to-Ermine
I followed the steps and had absolutely no problem in upgrading it to Ermine.

Step 4: Video tutorials
Went through all the video tutorials available on the device itself.

Step 5: Tryst with the Pre-installed Apps
I copied few docx, xslx and pdf files from my laptop to PE (by connecting the USB cable). I tried them using Docs-to-go. They all opened fine, though the user-interface of Word app can be improved. One of the useful features is that it can open google docs directly.

The most innovative feature is interaction between the two screens. PDF opens on the eInk side and allows handwritten annotations. Cool!
Another important app is Journal which allows handwritten notes to be saved as PDF. The way two sides interact while searching, saving and annotating is incredible. PDF handling is better than Kindle.

I configured my corporate email and gmail using Froyo mail and both are working great. Google calendar is also synced.
I used the browser and the youtube app and both worked fine (Note: you tube app did not display the video before upgrading to Ermine). I tried couple of still pictures with the camera app. It worked but the resolution is what it is, not great. I copied some mp3 files and they sound great. I have also tried some .mp4 clips and they play flawlessly. However, a large (300 MB) mp4 file appeared to freeze the video (though the audio was playing).

Step 6: Tryst with Downloaded Apps
I researched on google and decided to try some applications useful to me (I am not into gaming).
1) Amazon appstore app: Downloaded from amazon website. After downloading and installing this app, got access to the Amazon android appstore. Tried few free apps. Install failed for some apps. Evernote did not install, so did another game. But Freedi youtube Downloader worked fine. So did Sudoku game.
2) I installed Dolphin browser. It has much better interface (mainly tabs) than the pre-installed browser.
3) As explained in the post: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...he-Pocket-eDGe, I installed the voice-recognition app and it is working great (though I don't intend to use it much, as the keyboard is quite adequate for me).
4) As I use keepass password manager on my PC, I found its android app, downloaded it, copied my password storage file from PC to PE and it is working great.
5) Fring: I installed Fring on PE (downloaded to PC from CNET and copied to PE, as direct download from Fring site does not open in PE browser). I have an account with localphone.com. I configured SIP settings from my localphone.com account into Fring, and yes! I could make international call! The call quality was very good (other party could here the echo, but then I attached an earphone to PE and the echo was taken care). Fring also provides paid international/national calling ability (called fringOut). I will try it later.
6) Kindle app: Downloaded from Amazon. I can read my archived Kindle books.
7) Books from local library: I downloaded overdrive media console app (from overdirve website). I was able to check out some ebooks from my local library and read them using the overdrive media console, though only on the tablet side (not on eInk side).

Battery life is adequate. With full charge, I think it will last for 4-5 hours of continuous tablet-side use.

Few quirks (Nothing is perfect):
1) Some one on the forum mentioned white-screen death. On my PE, I have noticed this white-screen couple of times while unlocking the device. But, I waited a moment till the screen darkened again and pressed menu key. It worked as usual.
2) Large video files could be pose trouble.
3) At least with one complex PDF file (generated from a complex XLS) file acted funny on eInk side and closed itself even after repeated attempts.

I am more than happy with my PE and this is what all I need for my everyday life. It is also sad that this amazing device is not that popular and lacks the glitter in the market.

Many thanks to this forum and its senior members like borisb for their valuable effort and developing this PE knowledge base.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Filark
Edge User

Wow! Great review, Sammy!

It took you just a few days to figure out some of what took me 2 months!

A couple things: Fring is available through the enTourage eDGe store, too ("Store" app on your PE), along with quite a few other free app options; You can read your library books on the e-ink side. Tap Reader, then tap "Open Book from Storage". If you have trouble finding it from there I will be surprised (but don't hesitate to ask)!

Once you are reading the book on the e-ink side you can add it to your library, which is not required, but which will allow you to use more of the nifty features available on the eDGe. You can also get to your books by tapping on Library, pulling down the menu that says "Library", tapping "Storage" and then choosing your book. In my opinion the PE is a very nice ereader.

Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions!!

Old 05-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
sammy2k
Edge User

Filark,

Thanks for your feedback. I followed your tips on library books. I found the .epub files in "overdrive" folder. When I tapped on the filename, it tried to open on the reader side, but a message came near LCD top: "book name... cannot be opened!" Same thing happening with all the library books that I downloaded.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Old 05-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy2k View Post
Filark,

Thanks for your feedback. I followed your tips on library books. I found the .epub files in "overdrive" folder. When I tapped on the filename, it tried to open on the reader side, but a message came near LCD top: "book name... cannot be opened!" Same thing happening with all the library books that I downloaded.

You need the same log in email on all accounts to match your adobe id. DRM protection.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Filark
Edge User

Adobe issue?? You should have registered both the PE with enTourage and your Overdrive Console with the same Adobe account. I can't think of any other reason offhand, and I have to run. Maybe someone else has advice?

Back later. Hope you figure it out!!

Whew! Cheyennedonna's on the case -- you are in good hands!

Last edited by Filark; 05-13-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Responding to Cheyennedonna beating me to post time ;)

Old 05-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
emusan
Edge User

Quote:
It may be that the library you are getting your books from uses a drm that is not supported by the edge reader app. Do they mention which type of drm they use?

EDIT: just noticed that overdrive uses Adobe DRM, like Filark said, do you know if your accounts are the same?

Last edited by emusan; 05-13-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
sammy2k
Edge User

Yes, both the accounts are same (same login id but different passwords).

Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
Filark
Edge User

I thought the passwords had to match, also, no?

Can you try using same Adobe email and password for Overdrive that you use for enTourage?

Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
sammy2k
Edge User

OK, I tried again.
I uninstalled OD Media Console, reinstalled it. Changed Adobe DE password to match PE registration pwd.
All the library books already downloaded disappeared. I downloaded another book. But, same problem. OD console can open it.
But tapping reader and opening the file fails with the error message "[book name] could not be opened". I also tried adding it to the Library first, but got the message "There was an error encountered in adding the document to the library".

I think the DRM is preventing it. Huh!

Old 05-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #10
Filark
Edge User

Okay, I'm gonna try it on mine. See if I get the same result.

Back later . . .

Okay, back. I can't even find where Overdrive stores the book I downloaded, so you are ahead of me! ;/ I did manage to download a book from my library and open it to read in Overdrive, but I couldn't find it through Reader, or Library, or ES File Explorer. I feel kinda dumb now . . . what am I missing??

Last edited by Filark; 05-16-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #11
cheyennedonna
Edge User

When you use Overdrive to download a book from the library it will only open in Overdrive. The epub will be found in your internal storage( in the Overdrive folder , but, the ereader will not be able to open it. If you would rather read it on the eink you need to download it to your computer first and transfer it to the edge via usb - using ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) now the license for the loan has been transfered and the reader will open it. Your Adobe ID(which is your email address) must match the registration ID you used for the edge (assuming you did not say to use another email for Adobe at start up). The passwords can be different. All the sites you buy books from must be registered with that same email if you want to use them on the edge.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:29 AM   #12
sammy2k
Edge User

cheyennedonna,

You are a pure genius.

The reader finally worked with the library books. Thanks a ton! Now I can get rid of my Kindle.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #13
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
cheyennedonna,

You are a pure genius.

The reader finally worked with the library books. Thanks a ton! Now I can get rid of my Kindle.
Thanks, there are some great tools for converting Kindle books out there too.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
alex_edge
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Thanks, there are some great tools for converting Kindle books out there too.
Like the skindle, which you referred to elsewhere? Is that an app, or something that needs to be installed on a PC?

Old 05-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Most of the book tools available are for a PC. There are also lots of plugins for Calibre, just google.