Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
GrumpyOldMan
Edge User

Q. re: Login Lock & USB/card mount & more

After the initial Ermine install, things got busy and I only now had some time to dig into my new PE. I did some searches, but nothing conclusive, so I figured I might ask here:

- I cannot find the login screen security settings, i.e. regarding the green unlocked padlock you have to slide over, where is this settings screen?!?:
http://www.androidcentral.com/froyo-...y-lock-options
If I'm going to have my email and other personal info stored/accessible on the device, there is no way I'll leave it unprotected for anybody to peruse who may find my PE.

- I think somebody mentioned using "My Settings" for the above, but I have trouble finding anywhere to install it from, since most seem to tie into the Android Marketplace which doesn't work on PE/Ermine.
(P.S.: I tried a search for "My Settings" in our forums, but it will only consider "settings" which yields way too many posts...)

- I tried to mount USB storage to be able to copy some files onto the microSD card, which shows up fine on the device, but doesn't seem to mount on the Mac, only the internal storage shows (all other devices I have, both nooks, Sony reader, Garmin GPS... always mount both) Is it the same for other users or is it some weirdness on my PE? Using ES filebrowser, "sdcard" is obviously not the sdcard since I could safely unmount it, and my stuff was still there. So where is it accessible (it was formatted in the device, and shows up in the system storage info screen)

- Is there an overview somewhere on how the PE organizes this whole "library" thing? I tried moving it to the card, but then realized that the ~3 out of 4GB internal storage simply disappeared, not even freed up for app storage, then couldn't revert back short of a factory reset??? Why not use the files (PDF etc.), in some regular, standard folder structure? It's only data, not like software requiring a specific installation location? I saw today that somebody has a lot of trouble moving things over to new device after problems with the current one. Is it some kind of DRM thing? Why would it affect the journals which the user creates?

- Is there any way to type in text on the reader side, besides handwritten notes? With the landscape keyboard available on the LCD side, this would have been the very first, obvious thing I would think of when creating a dual-screen device... After all this time, they have finally added landscape mode (but only one way, the wrong one, why not 4-way like the LCD side...)

P.S.: this little guy gets really hot, I left the plastic covering on until my Gelaskins arrive, and it's starting to warp and curl... I hope the Gelaskins are tougher than that...

Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

Some short answers:

Login: I don't think there are any. Vendors can choose to hide/show Android settings.

My Settings: If in doubt, always check SlideMe.org

USB Mount: once the cable is connected between Mac and eDGe, on your eDGe go to the Notification that appears an tap it to mount the eDGe as a drive. Unmount it the same way before disconnecting the cable.

Library: this is a custom enTourage feature that is specifically designed to implement their vision for linking documents. The files are stored in \sdcard\.edge\.esi-content and are tracked via an internal database. Do not mess with the files in this protected location! You can only use Tags to organize them in the UI, not folders. When you add a file to the Library, it copies it from the source location to this protected directory, therefore do not retain the source file in Internal Storage or the SD card (but be sure to have a back up on your Mac or on a USB memory stick, etc.). You only need to add a file to the Library if you want to annotate a document. Do not add music, picture or video files to the Library as this is rarely necessary.

Reader: no. The Journal app actually has the capability but enTourage had technical problems getting it to work, so the feature remains unavailable.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
nyCecilia
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Library: this is a custom enTourage feature that is specifically designed to implement their vision for linking documents. The files are stored in \sdcard\.edge\.esi-content and are tracked via an internal database. Do not mess with the files in this protected location! You can only use Tags to organize them in the UI, not folders. When you add a file to the Library, it copies it from the source location to this protected directory, therefore do not retain the source file in Internal Storage or the SD card (but be sure to have a back up on your Mac or on a USB memory stick, etc.). You only need to add a file to the Library if you want to annotate a document. Do not add music, picture or video files to the Library as this is rarely necessary.
Sorry to butt in here...but a question...I'm using my EE as a sheet music reader. My sheet music (at the moment) is in Dropbox or on an SD card. So I should *not* be adding these to the library, unless I expect to write on them? If I don't add them to the library, how do I get them to display in the e-reader?

Sorry, I'm a newbie, it might be obvious to others but not to me just yet.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #4
borisb
Edge User

You don't "need" to add them to the Library just to get them on the Reader. Use the Storage app to locate the file, tap-and-hold, and select "Open in Reader".

Old 04-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
cheyennedonna
Edge User

No matter where your files are tapping will open PDF and epub from the reader side. Long press on a PDF will offer open in tablet as an option too, Docs to Go will open the PDF if you choose tablet view. When you choos a file from Droppbox it will download and a menu will open giving you the option of all available programs to open it.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
borisb
Edge User

Thanks for clarifying (and simplifying) that, Cheyenne

Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying (and simplifying) that, Cheyenne
Boris, It's that mind meld thing again. I think we were typing at the same time - but I'm a slow typist. Look at the time on our posts - 1 minute apart.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
borisb
Edge User

Yeah, it's getting spooky...

Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
nyCecilia
Edge User

Thanks! That is good to know. I need to figure out what the best process is. Sometimes I have stuff in Dropbox and sometimes on SD card. Sometimes I don't have 'net access, so getting stuff from Dropbox to EE, have to do it beforehand...need to figure out when stuff should go into the library vs copy to sd, etc. Lots of choices! Love it!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
GrumpyOldMan
Edge User

Quote:
USB Mount: once the cable is connected between Mac and eDGe, on your eDGe go to the Notification that appears an tap it to mount the eDGe as a drive. Unmount it the same way before disconnecting the cable.
Thanks for all your answers!

I was aware of the above, but my questions was really why not BOTH drives show up: the internal one (which does) and the extra one in the mSD reader slot (which is the case with pretty much all devices with a similar configuration) I'm only getting the internal one and was wondering if it is the way the PE works, or maybe something with my card. I'd rather copy my own stuff straight to the microSD card, and keep the internal storage for the library and other essentials.

As far as the rest goes, it is frustrating that for every nice thing the PE offers, it seems there is something else that doesn't work or isn't present...

Old 04-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
my questions was really why not BOTH drives show up: the internal one (which does) and the extra one in the mSD reader slot (which is the case with pretty much all devices with a similar configuration) I'm only getting the internal one and was wondering if it is the way the PE works, or maybe something with my card.
I don't know the answer, and it has always behaved this way. It's probably a Linux file system thing (it does weird and wonderful thing with mounting drives as folders, etc.).

Old 04-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Thanks for all your answers!

I was aware of the above, but my questions was really why not BOTH drives show up: the internal one (which does) and the extra one in the mSD reader slot (which is the case with pretty much all devices with a similar configuration) I'm only getting the internal one and was wondering if it is the way the PE works, or maybe something with my card. I'd rather copy my own stuff straight to the microSD card, and keep the internal storage for the library and other essentials.

As far as the rest goes, it is frustrating that for every nice thing the PE offers, it seems there is something else that doesn't work or isn't present...
On an Android phone you only have access to the SD card when you plug in to a PC. The phones main storage drive is unavailable. I think it has something to do with the way entourage named the drives. The main area is called SD card, the other extsd.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #13
nniesen
Edge User

I was having trouble finding the unlock security settings but I finally had success!
1) Installed and launched MySettings from Side Me
2) The first time I clicked the MySettings lock icon, I got the normal "Location and security settings" screen.
3) I previously had set the credential store password. This time I also enabled "Use secure credentials".
4) Now when I click the MySettings lock icon, I get the "Screen unlock security" settings screen.