Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Corrupted OPF Files in large library

My database is corrupted. When I save books (writing metadata to opf) then import into a different library with the same structure, most of the data in user-defined fields doesn't come with it. Restore didn't help, probably made it worse.

This was my fault. I did things I shouldn't do. Changed fields in some libraries and not others. Copied books between libraries. Messed with permissions. Accessed the same library from 2 different computers thru my network while using same username. Moved library from ext HD to ext HD, used it from external HD from 2 computers. Migrated the library from computer1 to computer2 to computer3 without checking everything in between. Lost backups to stupidity. So a concatenation of things probably caused the problem(s).

I have the library on 1 computer now, changed all the permissions to "everyone rw" with one username as owner. But that didn't help. I'm presently transferring data from the user-defined fields to the Tags field, which seems to work for preserving the data in Tags thru the save and import. This will keep me busy at least several days and I'm still not sure all the records will save/import properly. It's a large library. When that's done I plan to import into a new library using just the calibre-supplied fields and work it from there.

Meanwhile, anyone have advice? Is there a relatively simple way to delete all the opf files in a copy of the library then regenerate them from metadata db? Though I'm not sure if/how corrupted metadata db is. I'm getting desperate. The idea of importing into a new database by file structure makes me shudder in dread at redoing so much work.

Thanks for any help.

-alan
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post

Meanwhile, anyone have advice? Is there a relatively simple way to delete all the opf files in a copy of the library then regenerate them from metadata db? Though I'm not sure if/how corrupted metadata db is. I'm getting desperate. The idea of importing into a new database by file structure makes me shudder in dread at redoing so much work.

Thanks for any help.

-alan
Switch Library to the Source Library

Select books
Right-click: Copy Library into Main (Merge) Library
is an easy way. Al Main needs is a super-set of the fields of the libraries to be added.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can cause calibre to regenerate all OPF files from the db via the Library Maintenance menu (Start backup of metadata)

You can also restore the db from the opf files via that menu (Restore database)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I'll try that. If I understand correctly, I create a new library, build the fields manually and then copy books from old library to new library. Won't that just copy over the same bad opf files?
Old 05-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
unboggling
Wizard

kovid, thanks. The other day I did a restore, hoping it would help, but it seemed to make things worse. if the opfs were bad, then that made the db bad too.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
unboggling
Wizard

I moved all metadata from custom fields to the Tag field then deleted the custom fields. That seems to have fixed the problem of custom field data missing after saving/adding since there's no custom field data anymore. BTW ducks, previously the copy-to-other-library command apparently just copied over the same opf files because that didn't fix the problem, but thanks for the suggestion anyway. What apparently helped was deleting the custom fields, or more likely changing the metadata in all of the records.

Not sure if it's related or not but I have a continuing problem with losing books during saving/adding, approx a tenth of a one percent of total. Automerge is off and I always import title dupes. The library contains only epubs and no other formats. I tracked down two of the missing books (not easy) and only one was a title dupe with each record with its own epub format and differing metadata (eg, one tagged "acquire' and the other tagged "goodFormat." Those and the other missing book had no distinct problems and good file permissions. I've no idea what's causing the missing books.

I created a new library today and noticed that its metadata.db file has permissions for user rw, wheel r, everyone r. The metadata.db file in the older library has user rw and everyone rw -- after presumably wheel getting blitzed by my doing a global permission reset the other day on all my library files. I've seen wheel in the past and assumed it had to do with custom application privileges, but have no idea of its significance.

Thanks for any clues regarding missing books and/or wheel.

Last edited by unboggling; 05-30-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Tags
corrupted, opf