Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #31
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I used Argh! long before the internet!
I'm not sure I can say I used it long before the internet, but long before I was exposed to the internet certainly. I hope it didn't sound like I was criticizing the use of argh, it's a very important word!
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #32
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Secondly, in my daughter's school, and most others I'd bet, if they get caught texting in class they get their phone taken away.
Nice school.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #33
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
I despise it. I don't even text with it
Yeah! What she said!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #34
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
you are sorely mistaken if you think that text messages are not stored somewhere. as far as not telling kids, especially teens about bluetooth technology, you'll find that they are light years ahead of us with any new technology trends
I recently had a phone bill that charged me $.20 per text for 88 international texts to/from Nigeria. I called the carrier, and spoke with the customer service rep. She was able to see ALL of those texts. Yes Virginia, they ARE stored somewhere!

That being said, I think one of the reasons for Text Talk, is the 160 character limit on message size. You can say more in 160 characters if you abreviate. I STILL detest it. If I can't say it in 160 characters, I send an email; or better yet, pick up the phone.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #35
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think Kindle kitten is mistaking my words, instant messages are not stored. However I did not know that text is stored, glad to learn something new.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #36
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I think Kindle kitten is mistaking my words, instant messages are not stored. However I did not know that text is stored, glad to learn something new.
what kind of instant messaging are you referring to?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #37
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
ICQ; Gadu-gadu; Jabber this alike methinks is meant.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #38
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
So what did the shirt say?
I have absolutely no idea
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #39
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
In my daughters schools the kids are not allowed to take cell phones into class, if caught the cell phone is confiscated and the kids get to explain to their parents why their phone is gone. (One of the teachers told me that she wished she could keep them, she'd never have to buy a phone again) Before people start saying that it's good to be able to contact our kids in school, remember 20 years ago, ok, 30 years ago when I was in school there weren't cell phones and we all survived, how about in your grandparents time, mine didn't even have a phone. We are so over protective of our children these days its surprising any children ever leave home, oh wait they don't!
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:36 AM   #40
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
In my daughters schools the kids are not allowed to take cell phones into class, if caught the cell phone is confiscated and the kids get to explain to their parents why their phone is gone.
My sister-in-law is a teacher here nearby (northern Germany) and at her school (and others around) the same rule applies. And rightly so.

(Mind you: A mobile can only be taken away if a teacher is aware of a kid using it. There is - of course - no pre class strip search for phones, and hopefully never will be. If the "little ones" are smart enough not to use phones in class / to turn them off (or not get cought) then they keep the phones. No problem there.)
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #41
Mortis
Canucklehead in Malaysia
Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mortis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
High school students aren't really all that smart, they still confiscate 200 phones at a school that has 1100 students, not the brightest bunch, and no it's not a "Special" school

Teachers can take the phones even if they are not using them, it sounds a little evil, but lets face it when I was in high school the teacher would whack us across the knuckles with a pointer if we were caught talking in class, I still have an aversion to Nuns
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #42
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
In my daughters schools the kids are not allowed to take cell phones into class, ... Before people start saying that it's good to be able to contact our kids in school, remember 20 years ago, ok, 30 years ago when I was in school there weren't cell phones and we all survived,
At my daughters they can have them in their pocket or purse but they cannot use them. The only times they can use them is between classes and at lunch. You're right that the being able to contact them argument doesn't fly either. If there was some sort of emergency you'd have to call the school anyway to get your child excused.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a terminator production