Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
iRx Innovations

Has anyone heard what is happening/has happened with iRx Innovations now that it is 2011?
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Their website isn't very enlightening - they do claim
Quote:
Since 2001 IRX Innovations, has lead the development of electronic paper display (EPD) technologies
Which seems to be untrue since the didn't exist until 2010!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I would assume they're including the iRex history in that statement.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
Has anyone heard what is happening/has happened with iRx Innovations now that it is 2011?
I'm curious what the current state of the company is as well. Last update I remember seeing on here was that they were going to be quiet for awhile as they worked out all of the business details from the transition. That was several months ago though.

They give a phone number and address on their new website. Anyone local want to try calling and see if they'll share any information about what they're up to and/or when we may expect to start seeing more of a presence from them?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
Gwaihir
The Windlord
Gwaihir began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S, BeBook Club S
I doubt we'll see "more of a presence"; they've become a b2b operation, offering their expertise as a supplier for others. By its very nature that's fairly invisible for us end users. For comparison: FoxConn (manufacturer of the iPone and many other things) may well be the largest company in the world. Does it have much of a presence?

I just hope IRX gets us firmware updates still. Wouldn't bother them about things they're probably encouraged *not* to share.
Gwaihir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
I doubt we'll see "more of a presence"; they've become a b2b operation, offering their expertise as a supplier for others. By its very nature that's fairly invisible for us end users. For comparison: FoxConn (manufacturer of the iPone and many other things) may well be the largest company in the world. Does it have much of a presence?

I just hope IRX gets us firmware updates still. Wouldn't bother them about things they're probably encouraged *not* to share.
I was thinking more along the lines of firmware/support, not marketing/etc.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I would assume they're including the iRex history in that statement.
Precisely, but Irx is definitely not iRex as far as warranties are concerned.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Precisely, but Irx is definitely not iRex as far as warranties are concerned.
True, but that statement is more about their expertise and knowledge in the field. Since it's mostly the same employees, most of that has carried over.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #9
jjansen
J
jjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterjjansen can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: SONY PRS 505/300, iRex DR800SG, Nook
I really wanted to know what they were doing with the 800 hardware. I have had multiple ereaders and my absolute favorite was my DR800SG. Of course, the downside was that the screen became unreadable a few months after I purchased it which was about the time iRex went bankrupt. I am looking for a similar 8" replacement that is no larger than my DR800 was. That was about the largest that I can carry around and fit in all my purses and I never leave home without my ereader.

I was hoping that the new company would continue on with the DR800 line. I know that they won't warranty my old one but I liked it enough that I would give the product another chance.

Jackie
jjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
I agree with you on the device.

I would just get a good used one from e-bay (2 available right now) or from amazon for instance (1 available) or any other such places ...

it is what I did not so long ago in Europe, I am very happy with the device and all the firmware improvements and applications from the developers on this forum here, it is a no nonsense reader that is just wonderful for ... reading!
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjansen View Post
I was hoping that the new company would continue on with the DR800 line.
That was my understanding of what their plan was. They weren't going to market/sell to consumers anymore, instead focusing on B2B. But I believe their intent was to use the DR800 as their base platform to do that.

They've been quiet for awhile though, so don't know what their intentions really are.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Franky
Nameless Being

I saw a website where they displayed the DR800 inclusive special software for pilots. the reader is with that special software around the $1250

Funny enough, there are still several website where you can buy a DR800....
Old 02-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky View Post
I saw a website where they displayed the DR800 inclusive special software for pilots. the reader is with that special software around the $1250
You are paying that for the capability of displaying Jeppesen charts which are in a propriety vector graphics format. You then have to pay $$$ for the charts themselves.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Yep, even the iLiad had the same pilot version available (eFlyBook). You're right, most of the additional cost is for the chart data.