Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
SoftwareManiac
SoftwareManiac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Updating the original eBook to convert again

I'm new at this so i apologize in advance, but I wanted to make sure. Once I load an eBook (using .epub format, for example) into calibre, I can easily convert it (to .mobi, for example) and view it with the Kindle Previewer or the built-in calibre viewer.

My question is: once I update the original eBook, I'm not sure if calibre knows what to do? I have dragged the new copy over, but all it does is build more versions with folder suffixes (2), (3), ... and so on. I guess since calibre keeps its own database of settings and all it knows the location of the original eBook?

Since many of us use calibre for eBook self-publishing conversion, I would assume this would be a common practice. I haven't seen any description in the guides or videos describing this.
SoftwareManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Note that Calibre does NOT know the location of the original eBook. When you add a book, Calibre makes a copy into it's own folder structure leaving the original unchanged.

If you want to update a format in the Calibre library then probably the easiest way is to open the Edit Metadata dialog for the book in question, and having done that drag the new book to the formats area of that dialog. If the format does not exist, then it is added as an additional format. If it does exist then the new one replaces the old one.

It sounds as if what you have been doing is creating additional book entries in the Calibre library. It is perfectly permissible in Calibre to have multiple entries for the same book if that is what you want. However then each entry has it's own copy of the underlying ebook files. I do not think that is what you are trying to achieve?

Last edited by itimpi; 01-31-2011 at 11:10 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
SoftwareManiac

Response

Hi!

Thanks for the prompt response.

I am publishing an eBook from InDesign as eNovel.epub and I want to convert it to Kindle format, eNovel.mobi. I have art that is all set and along with the metadata shouldn't change.

The only thing that will be updated will be updates to eNovel.epub that I'll want to reconvert. As I experiment with the formatting that works in InDesign (where I create the master document), I can see having many updates. My goal is to leave the ePub ZIPPed files completely untouched.

I was just trying to understand how the workflow would work without having to create a new book each time in calibre.

Thanks for any further advice!
Ken
Old 01-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If you don't want to use the method via edit metadata as itimpi posted above, you could set up a script that does the conversion. Most OSes support creating shorcuts that, if you dropped a file onto the shortcut, run the script on the file. That would, depending on the script, however not necessarily create a book entry inside Calibre, though it should be sufficient if all you're after is the conversion.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
SoftwareManiac

Question Location of input eBooks

Thanks.
Can I ask then what the folder location is where calibre keeps the input ebook file or is that proprietary (or embedded in some other database structure)?

Ken
Old 02-01-2011, 03:08 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Sure, look inside the path you selected for your Calibre library. Though I'd seriously advise against messing around in there, you could break things badly by directly working inside that folder. Use the GUI or CLI tools for that.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, ebook updates