Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 03-09-2003, 07:25 PM   #1
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
Red face

I've been trying to convert Russian websites and files to iSilo, but I just get gobbledegook on the PDA (Sony HiRes). I use Interpilot 2.5 as a Russian localizer, it works well with other applications. Is there a trick I'm missing?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:01 AM   #2
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Are you saying that you cannot get the BBC Russian website? I've gotten that in iSilo, HandStory and Plucker. I use Piloc, but I doubt that makes any difference. PDR
Old 03-10-2003, 06:34 PM   #3
BasilC
Zealot

The problem was with a txt file that I had downloaded and stored on my computer. It transferred across to the Clie, but wasn't convertible into Cyrillic script. I've just tried downloading a Russian webpage direct to iSilo and it worked perfectly. Perhaps it can only handle html?

As regards HandStory, I haven't tried web clipping, just copying Russian text by right clicking. The text in the box is not in Cyrillic, so I never bothered actually moving it to the pda. Perhaps it would become readable once it's transferred. I'll give it a try.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:30 PM   #4
BasilC
Zealot

I've now tried, and succeeded, in downloading an entire novel by Dostoyevsky. It works fine in iSilo. The funny thing is that the file that I could't read yesterday is now OK. Strange! I must say I'm impressed by iSilo, but still think that both HandStory and Plucker have their strengths too, and will be using all three (and AvantGo).
Old 03-11-2003, 11:30 AM   #5
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

I'm glad it worked. I too sometimes have trouble. I took some Russian texts in .txt format off the Victor Pelevin site and converted them in isilo, but not by clipping them, but by copying them as text, saving them in My Documents, then loading them into iSilo and converting. It does work.

I cannot figure out how to use all these web readers together. I wind up forgetting why I am using one rather than the other. How do you keep them straight?

Cheers, PDR
Old 03-11-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
radleyp
Evangelist

Forgot to ask: why on earth do you continue to use AvantGo? To me it's completely useless, all the more so because I cannot use files on the MS. PDR
Old 03-11-2003, 02:29 PM   #7
BasilC
Zealot

I do sometimes get confused about the different web readers, but I like to use them all l because:

a) HandStory is great for on-the-fly work and brilliant for images (in my case, mainly maps)

Plucker lets you produce files that can be launched from the launcher

c) iSilo is the only one that can handle tables, though not very satisfactorily - I find it's very slow to move around within the table. I'm only just getting to know iSilo and may make more use of it. Certainly, the ability to select and copy text is useful, and the autoscroll is pretty good.

One advantage of using more than one web reader is that you can switch between different documents simply by switching between the different applications.

As regards AvantGo, I guess you're right. I've just been too lazy to convert the sites to Plucker or iSilo, and like the convenence of the automatic update on each hot sync, but the application does take up rather a lot of RAM, so I'll probably ditch it soon.