Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
At the risk of poking a bear....

What's the deal with iRex? I've been out of the loop for a while--before I left the DR800 was looking kinda promising, but had the glaring void of not being able to make annotations. I come back around looking for something that's a bit larger and has better screen contrast than my Touch. Look up the iRex on the Wiki Matrix and follow the links to the company--to nowhere. The only sales I can find are those being sold used.

Is the DR800 still being made? Updated? Supported by the company?? Did it *ever* get an annotation function?
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
iRex went bust - no official support for anything but the former iRex tecs turn up on here from time to time. iRex has been reborn as IRX - who have got nothing to do with iREX so will not honour warranties or, as far as I know, fulfill paid for orders that were in the system when they went down. IRX - which seems to be exactly the same people as iRex - is focusing on the business market.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
As TGS said, they went Bankrupt a few months ago. There are beta/RC versions of new firmware that add annotation, zoom, etc to the DR800.

The new company has said unofficially on here that development of the firmware is continuing.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
zacitana
a happy reader
zacitana has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR800S :))
@ziegl027

I don't know if this seller's site is updated, but they seem to still have a number of new IREX devices for sale - http://www.digital-readers.de/EBook-Reader/iRex/

so, if you're interested in buying an IREX reader, you can maybe ask there (I bought my dr800 from them in spring (before IREX went bust) - they're a genuine business)
zacitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
amazon.co.uk and Libresco, another UK supplier, still have them listed - at the same price they always were - and presumably one is buying them without warranty?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
and presumably one is buying them without warranty?
Correct. The old company legally does not exist anymore, so there is no manufacturer's warranty. Different countries may have laws regarding retailer warranties, however.

Also, be aware that, warranty or not, it may be difficult getting the device repaired if anything happens. You're probably not going to be able to walk into your local electronics repair shop and hand them an eInk device. Even just getting parts (display) is going to be challenging, if not impossible.

It's unclear yet what level of support/service the new IRX company is going to offer. They've stated that they're going to concentrate on the business market, but maybe they'll still offer repair service (at cost) for existing DR800 owners.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Thanks!

Thanks for the fill-in! Unfortunately that pretty much scratches it off my list. I'm not so keen on the product to want to import it from Europe and have no "official" support for the device.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote