Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Try some of Howard Andrew Jones' stuff.
I have The Desert of Souls and The Bones of the Old Ones, a couple of Arabian Nights-esque books. Haven't looked at him beyond those.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 09:09 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about Warrior of the Altail by Robert Jordan.
I knew Jordan wrote Conan novels and then did The Wheel of Time and that's it. Warrior of the Altaii looks like something that would fit the bill.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #18
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
A lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs would just about fit sword and sorcery, even if they're typically classified as science fiction. I'm thinking the Barsoom, Pellucidar and Venus series.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:00 PM   #19
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Zodwallop:

You may wish to see my response to your posting in the other thread, prior to creating this current thread.

Please feel free to lift out whatever you need to make relevant additional titles you may want/need to make your case.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #20
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
A lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs would just about fit sword and sorcery, even if they're typically classified as science fiction. I'm thinking the Barsoom, Pellucidar and Venus series.
I'm guessing most S&S fans are also Sword and Planet fans. I read Burroughs John Carter series about the same time as I read the Howard pastiche Conan stories back in the late 70s and early 80s. I think Frazetta also did covers for the John Carter series, at least on the hardcover copies I got from my local library back then.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2021, 09:28 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are three suggestions for additional reading. All three are on my Wish List. They are all anthologies, by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Savage Realms.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	188101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swords of Fire.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	188102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Savage Scrolls.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	188103  
Old 07-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I'd like to bring to readers of this thread the important essay, The Demarcation of Sword and Sorcery, by Joseph A. McCullough V. Here's the link:

https://www.blackgate.com/the-demarc...d-and-sorcery/

McCullough argues three cogent points that define the Sword & Sorcery genre:

1) Heroes are men [or women] of action.
2) Outsiders (barbarians) who are outside the norms of society.
3) They're scoundrels. (Think Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.)

John O'Neill, in his Introduction to The Best of Heroic Fantasy Quarterly: Volume 1, 2009-2011, adds a 4th category, that of Setting.

O'Neill then elaborates upon this idea, and then argues for the distinctions that exclude Tolkien's work from being Sword & Sorcery. Rather, he classifies it as Heroic Fantasy.

It's a fascinating essay for those readers inclined to understand the categorical distinctions of what they read.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #23
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Hmm. Point three makes me think. I'm not sure I totally agree with it; Elric, for example wasn't a scoundrel. Not sure Kull was either, but I've read more of the Kull comic books than the originals.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:51 PM   #24
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I greatly enjoyed Jordan's Conan stories and that led me to snap up Eye of the World when it first appeared in mass market paperback. There was another pretty good Conan author back in those days, something Green or Greene IIRC, maybe Steven? Or was it Perry? I did a quick search but can't find him...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:09 PM   #25
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I greatly enjoyed Jordan's Conan stories and that led me to snap up Eye of the World when it first appeared in mass market paperback. There was another pretty good Conan author back in those days, something Green or Greene IIRC, maybe Steven? Or was it Perry? I did a quick search but can't find him...
Roland J. Green and Steve Perry?

Before the Conan books, Roland J. Green wrote the four-book Wandor series. But they're out of print without Kindle editions. He also contributed to the Richard Blade series (books 9-29 and 31-37). Those books were something else!

Steve Perry (not the singer from Journey!) also wrote Conan books, as well as his own SF series.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #26
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Roland J. Green and Steve Perry?

Before the Conan books, Roland J. Green wrote the four-book Wandor series. But they're out of print without Kindle editions. He also contributed to the Richard Blade series (books 9-29 and 31-37). Those books were something else!

Steve Perry (not the singer from Journey!) also wrote Conan books, as well as his own SF series.
That's it! My memory ain't what it used to be. Both were good but not as good as Jordan IMO. FWIW I have 2 paperback copies of Bronze Axe ready to go up on eBay shortly...
Old 07-09-2021, 07:38 PM   #27
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

I also vaguely remember a "Scorpio" series and an "Anteres" series? But also can't find anything on either. (Not to be confused with the 1960's cult film "Scorpio Rising".)

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 07-09-2021 at 07:40 PM. Reason: quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:42 PM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Roland J. Green

At least 7 books, I believe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	188111  
Old 07-09-2021, 07:47 PM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I also vaguely remember a "Scorpio" series and an "Anteres" series? But also can't find anything on either. (Not to be confused with the 1960's cult film "Scorpio Rising".)

Alan Burt Akers. His main character was Dray Prescot. The first one came out in 1972, titled Transit to Scorpio, and published by DAW Books. They're very 'Burroughs-esque'. You may wish to visit this site:

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/alan-burt-akers/

Alan Burt Akers was the well-known British writer of SF, Kenneth Bulmer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Transit to scorpio.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	188112  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-09-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Steve Perry:

Conan The Defiant
Conan The Fearless
Conan The Defiant
Conan The Freelance
Conan The Formidable
Conan The Indomitble
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Conan The Formidable.jpg
Views:	133