Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Nook Glowlight 4, Apple iPad Pro 12.9"
eReader without an ecosystem

I've hit that point where I want an ereader without an ecosystem. I want something 6"-7" eInk with physical page turn buttons with support for ODPS or some other way to load books onto the device via WiFi.

Right now, I am using a Kindle Paperwhite and using Send to Kindle. But I don't like the idea of that. I'm always worried that Amazon will not like something I send to my Kindle and ban my account. I want to keep everything local, if possible.

I'm thinking the Boox Page might be the way to go.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM   #2
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Oh, also want to install my own fonts.
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
You can use Dropbox or Google Drive to sideload books via wifi to a Kobo. You don't have to use the Kobo ecosystem at all.

Also, there are other ways to send books wirelessly, like
https://send.djazz.se/.

I'm probably not even aware of all of them. Personally I load everything via Calibre.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #4
Frogm4n
Groupie
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
You can already load content on your Kindle over USB. It also already supports custom fonts. Just be sure you aren't using an ancient format like MOBI. Use AZW3 or KFX to load over USB on a Kindle.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
You can already load content on your Kindle over USB. It also already supports custom fonts. Just be sure you aren't using an ancient format like MOBI. Use AZW3 or KFX to load over USB on a Kindle.
The OP stated they want to do it via wifi.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #6
Frogm4n
Groupie
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I missed that on first glance. They can browse calibre-server or COPS and download from it with the builtin browser.
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #7
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogm4n View Post
I missed that on first glance. They can browse calibre-server or COPS and download from it with the builtin browser.
And that will load the book into the Kindle library on the Kindle and act just like a side-loaded book?
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM   #8
Frogm4n
Groupie

As long as your library has Kindle compatible formats in it, it will.

These screenshots are from the built-in browser using the simple non-Javascript interface to the calibre-web server that is part of Calibre. You can download any file listed, but you can only open Amazon compatible ones in the Kindle reader. I use KOReader on my Oasis 2 to read EPUBs, so that's why the stock UI only shows the PDFs I have loaded and the one AZW3 I downloaded for the screenshot.

Also, I hadn't kept up on COPS and it looks like the original repo I linked is mostly abandoned, but there is an updated fork someone made to work with PHP 8: https://github.com/mikespub-org/seblucas-cops (RE: https://github.com/seblucas/cops/issues/530 )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2024_08_24T18_45_42-0500.png
Views:	21
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	210385   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2024_08_24T18_46_38-0500.png
Views:	18
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	210386  
Old Today, 09:00 AM   #9
apastuszak
Evangelist

Thanks. I'll give COPS a try and see how it goes.