Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Today, 07:13 AM   #1
Mickeyxx
Mickeyxx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 11 Signture Edition
Kindle PW SE no sideload no update

the problem started that all my books vanished and whenever i transfer them back via calibre they disappeared as soon as i unplug the device.
i have tried factory resetting/ changing region/ older versions of calibre/ factory resetting and then keeping it on airplane mode from the start/ and even copying pdfs directly to the kindle without calibre
the only thing that worked was transferring an epub file through the amazon link
the final solution was to update my kindle manually from version 5.16.9 to 5.16.10 and faced another problem..

the update my kindle option does not exist ( not greyed out but doesn't actually exist on my device), and neither is advanced options! i scrolled every list to the very bottom, but they were not there! i checked every three dots menu on every page!

i have tried literally everything, and CS are super useless, been talking to them the past three days. i am heartbroken my kindle was my everything.
and i am not financially stable to buy another device..
Mickeyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:37 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
If the ‘update my kindle button’ is greyed out or missing it check you have downloaded the correct update for your kindle.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:48 AM   #3
Mickeyxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
If the ‘update my kindle button’ is greyed out or missing it check you have downloaded the correct update for your kindle.
I have copied the kindle paperwhite 5.16.10 from the amazon website
Plus it's not greyed out but it simply just doesn't exist :/
Old Today, 10:54 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyxx View Post
I have copied the kindle paperwhite 5.16.10 from the amazon website
Plus it's not greyed out but it simply just doesn't exist :/
It might have been for the wrong Paperwhite model.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:57 AM   #5
Mickeyxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
It might have been for the wrong Paperwhite model.
i copied both kindle 11 and kindle paperwhite 11 (i have paper white 11 signture edition)
Old Today, 11:48 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i copied both kindle 11 and kindle paperwhite 11 (i have paper white 11 signture edition)
You copied both to your PW? Kindle 11 is another model entirely.
Old Today, 01:22 PM   #7
Mickeyxx

Quote:
You copied both to your PW? Kindle 11 is another model entirely.
i tried updating while each one the device and didn't work
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #8
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Scribe, Libra Colour
To be honest, seeing how many people seem to be having issues with the latest firmware version, it might be a good idea to hold off updating for a while. Perhaps your initial issue can be solved without updating.

The deletion of books you experienced is a relatively well-documented issue; you may want to read the thread here. At this stage it is not clear whether the latest update solves this issue, but this bug has been around for a while.

As for putting back the books on your Kindle, are you sure you copied your books to the kindle in a kindle-compatible format (e.g. AZW, KFX, MOBI)? If so, then perhaps your issue lies with your USB cable, or the storage on your Kindle could be faulty. That might explain why neither books nor update files show up on your device.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:21 PM   #9
Mickeyxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
To be honest, seeing how many people seem to be having issues with the latest firmware version, it might be a good idea to hold off updating for a while. Perhaps your initial issue can be solved without updating.

The deletion of books you experienced is a relatively well-documented issue; you may want to read the thread here. At this stage it is not clear whether the latest update solves this issue, but this bug has been around for a while.

As for putting back the books on your Kindle, are you sure you copied your books to the kindle in a kindle-compatible format (e.g. AZW, KFX, MOBI)? If so, then perhaps your issue lies with your USB cable, or the storage on your Kindle could be faulty. That might explain why neither books nor update files show up on your device.
i tried copying all kind of formats, i exclusively use azw3 but i also tried mobi, pdf an epub either via calibre or direct copy
i just contacted kindle support and they said that my account is locked and that might be the issue and i need to create a new one.
currently the only thing working is the send to kindle option while transfaring epubs, if it was a memory issue wouldn't they also disappear? genuinly asking
also i tried another cable yes
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
i just contacted kindle support and they said that my account is locked and that might be the issue and i need to create a new one.
That's hogwash. What does it even mean, that your account is locked? Besides, sending epubs via Amazon wouldn't work in that case either.
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #11
Mickeyxx

Quote:
That's hogwash. What does it even mean, that your account is locked? Besides, sending epubs via Amazon wouldn't work in that case either.
i have no clue, literally, they said and i quote "your account is locked for some issue and we can not unlock it because you hadn't made 5 orders with us, either digital or retail products so you would have to make a new email and a new amazon account, factory reset your device ,use your new account andthat will solve your problem)
that was an 70 minutes call btw most of the time he was checking things on his side
plus i am currently transfering my old liberary via send to kindle, not sure if need to follow through with the new account thing or not.
Old Today, 02:59 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
i have no clue, literally, they said and i quote "your account is locked for some issue and we can not unlock it because you hadn't made 5 orders with us, either digital or retail products so you would have to make a new email and a new amazon account, factory reset your device ,use your new account andthat will solve your problem)
that was an 70 minutes call btw most of the time he was checking things on his side
plus i am currently transfering my old liberary via send to kindle, not sure if need to follow through with the new account thing or not.
If you sent your library to your old account and then create a new one, you'll need to send them again.
Old Today, 04:36 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'm not a Kindle expert, but I think you need to unregister your kindle; a factory reset won't do that.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote