Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #1
LienRag
LienRag began at the beginning.

Device: many
Error after import of a lot of books

Hi Mobile Readers.
I recently learned how to create and manage a Calibre Library on an external drive, so I did it and imported the full folder of books I have.
It took more than a day, and then once it finished I got the following errors :

Code:
calibre, version 6.13.0
AVERTISSEMENT : Erreurs pendant l'ajout: Il y a eu des problèmes lors de l'ajout de certains fichiers, cliquez "Afficher les détails" pour plus d'information

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Échec de la lecture des métadonnées depuis le fichier :
	/media/lienrag/Elements/Livres/Source/Stephen King/La ballade de la balle elastique & L'h  omme qui refusait de serrer la main (8837)/La ballade de la balle elastique & L'homme - Stephen King.epub
Avec l'erreur :
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/utils/ipc/pool.py", line 371, in worker_main
    result = func(*job.args, **job.kwargs)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/metadata/worker.py", line 81, in read_metadata
    mi, opf, has_cover = serialize_metadata_for(paths, tdir, group_id)
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/ebooks/metadata/worker.py", line 27, in serialize_metadata_for
    f.write(cdata)
OSError: [Errno 28] Aucun espace disponible sur le périphérique
There's 700 000 lines of error messages if I'm not mistaken, similar to the one above or to the one below :

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Échec à ajouter le livremetadata
	/media/lienrag/Elements/Livres/Bibliothèque calibre/John Schember/Guide de demarrage rapide (1)/metadata.opf
Avec l'erreur :
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/add.py", line 458, in add_book
    book_id = self.dbref().create_book_entry(mi, cover=cdata)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/db/legacy.py", line 341, in create_book_entry
    ret = self.new_api.create_book_entry(mi, cover=cover, add_duplicates=add_duplicates, force_id=force_id)
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/db/cache.py", line 77, in call_func_with_lock
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/db/cache.py", line 1965, in create_book_entry
    self.backend.execute('INSERT INTO books(title, series_index, author_sort) VALUES (?, ?, ?)',
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/db/backend.py", line 1022, in execute
    return self.conn.cursor().execute(sql, bindings)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "src/cursor.c", line 235, in resetcursor
apsw.CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
And now I have 4 000 books (on 36 000) without metadata, even without title or author.

What caused that ? And how can I solve it ?

There clearly was sufficient space on the external drive (more than 100 Gigabytes).
Is there necessary to have some also on my /home ? And/or / ? How much ?
LienRag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
According to the first code block, you've run out of disk space. I don't know if that's the drive that holds the library or the drive that hold the temp files. But you need to free up some space someplace.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to have space in /tmp. Some brain dead linux systems put /tmp in RAM. Either fix that or use the calibre env var to change its tmp directory to somewhere you actually have space.

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cus...ment-variables
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #4
LienRag

Thanks.
Any idea on how much space I need ?
And, is the current situation fixable or do I need to delete the library and re-import it ?
Old Today, 10:11 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can use the bulk metadata edit dialog to set metadata from ebook files in all books. But again if you are going to be operating on huge numbers of books dont put /tmp in RAM, preferably use the same disk as your library is on to host /tmp for best performance and robustness.
Old Today, 10:55 AM   #6
LienRag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can use the bulk metadata edit dialog to set metadata from ebook files in all books.
Again, thanks.
But how ?
Manually, for 4000 books of which I don't know the metadata, that's not realistic.
Or is there a way to have Calibre automatically recognize the metadata from the files that are on the disk, considering that I don't know which of the 36 k books are the 4 000 ones without metadata ?
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #7
LienRag

Also, how much space do I need ?
I have 12 Gb of RAM (though I'm not sure that all of it was free when I launched the import - maybe 6 GiB was) and I don't have that free space on may current / nor my /home.
Is it really a good idea to put the Calibre tmp directory on the external drive ? The external drive has no free space problem, that at least would be solved.
Old Today, 11:01 AM   #8
LienRag

(weird, apparently my first reply is waiting for moderation, but the second passed fine...)
(not a real problem since they addressed different questions, it just makes the "also" of the second reply seems a bit weird, ah too bad)
Old Today, 11:05 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LienRag View Post
Also, how much space do I need ?
I have 12 Gb of RAM (though I'm not sure that all of it was free when I launched the import - maybe 6 GiB was) and I don't have that free space on may current / nor my /home.
Is it really a good idea to put the Calibre tmp directory on the external drive ? The external drive has no free space problem, that at least would be solved.
How much space you need is unknown. That's why a ram drive for your temp directory is a very bad idea. You need to have more space then you might need so you need to have your temp directory on a drive with plenty of space.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:29 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Do them in small batches. Groups of <20 allows an easy recover when things go south. If you don't, and have a fail, you lose the whole fetch job.

And WHY do they ALL need to get external metadata? Most books have the basics, and Calibre should have used that when it added (unless you set Add to use the Filename instead)

Be more selective.
Quality Check Plugin. It has many-many checks for missing 'this data value' Simply select the results and do your Get Metadata job. (Spin - repeat)

Now for the downside of BATCH get metadata: Some of it is WRONG Some of it is inconsistent (sometimes the Author or Publisher just changes the series name) Some sites are User submitted and those are all over the place book to book. Some have summaries others have Reviews. Some have a huge list of the Authors OTHER work. IMHO (Being a Joe Friday type) They all need TLC sip and not the fire hose application)
FWIW it took me almost a year to pound the metadata (Library data) into shape for 900+ paper books I track with Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by LienRag View Post
(weird, apparently my first reply is waiting for moderation, but the second passed fine...)
(not a real problem since they addressed different questions, it just makes the "also" of the second reply seems a bit weird, ah too bad)
Rapid fire posts by new users sometimes trip the anti-spam filters.
Recently, this has also happened to old users that had not posted recent (for whatever the definition of Recent was)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Do them all, and yes put /tmp on the same disk as your library. How much space you need will depend on how many books their sizes, etc.

Or redo the import this time with /tmp on the same drive as your library.