Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #1
wwaldo
wwaldo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Running Calibre in a Cloud

After searching and reading, I am no closer to discovering an answer. My question is:

Can I run my Calibre library in a could without having to maintain the library on my machine. If yes which cloud is compatable with calibre.

I have heard of the Calibre Cloud app, however I do not have any android devices so cannot download to my PC.

The reason that I want to run it strictly from a cloud is to save space on my laptop.

thanks.
wwaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
wwaldo - Some folks install calibre portable to Dropbox so that they can access it and all its settings and libraries from any windows machine - home computer, laptop, desktop at work, public PC in library etc. Other folks install calibre on a thumb drive and carry it in their pocket/purse.

You have to maintain the library from a windows, os/x or linux platform (preferably only one of them). Calibre doesn't take that much space ~200MB for 64bit, ~30MB for config data and say 2.5GB for a reasonable size library - so 3GB is maybe all you'll save.

Unless you have a lot of large 'books' eg I have one library that's 600GB, but its full of video, audio and image albums.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
wwaldo - Some folks install calibre portable to Dropbox so that they can access it and all its settings and libraries from any windows machine - home computer, laptop, desktop at work, public PC in library etc. Other folks install calibre on a thumb drive and carry it in their pocket/purse.

You have to maintain the library from a windows, os/x or linux platform (preferably only one of them). Calibre doesn't take that much space ~200MB for 64bit, ~30MB for config data and say 2.5GB for a reasonable size library - so 3GB is maybe all you'll save.

Unless you have a lot of large 'books' eg I have one library that's 600GB, but its full of video, audio and image albums.

BR
My config folder is 7.79 MB, 7.09 MB of which is the plugins and assorted stuff. (And 4.42 MB of that is a database cache for OverDrive Link).

There is no way to avoid having the files saved on the computer a mounted drive at some point, but disk space is usually pretty cheap.
My laptop is old enough to have a 40 GB HDD, which is pretty cramped. So I keep a lot of things on my flashdrive, including my calibre libraries.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote