Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-17-2024, 10:40 AM   #106
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
* Ad Plugins > Shortcuts
Focus should go sequentially from 1 to 10.
Why? It goes top to bottom in that layout which seems reasonable.

Quote:
* Preferences > Spellcheck Dictionaries > User Dictionaries > (Table)
A similar problem to the plugin list.
When the focus goes to the table with the dictionaries it no longer goes from there with Tab.
I will look into that.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:45 AM   #107
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Designer's Tab Order Editing Mode makes this pretty painless (and doesn't require physically editing the construction order of ui elements). We can't use Designer for MainWindow but it works fine for most of our other widgets/dialogs.

https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/designer-tab-order.html

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-17-2024 at 10:49 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:59 AM   #108
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I want to jump first Toolbar 1 (Plugins 1-5) and then Toolbar 2 (Plugins 6-10).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil-plugins-shortcuts-focus-order.png
Views:	28
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	207671  
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:01 AM   #109
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
* Preferences > Spellcheck Dictionaries > User Dictionaries > (Table)
A similar problem to the plugin list.
When the focus goes to the table with the dictionaries it no longer goes from there with Tab.
This should now be fixed in master.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:02 AM   #110
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Designer's Tab Order Editing Mode makes this pretty painless (and doesn't require physically editing the construction order of ui elements). We can't use Designer for MainWindow but it works fine for most of our other widgets/dialogs.

https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/designer-tab-order.html
But I hate that damn thing!

I can change the order of creation of those combo widgets pretty easily by just editing the existing ui file (he said hopefully).
Old 04-17-2024, 11:12 AM   #111
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But I hate that damn thing!

I can change the order of creation of those combo widgets pretty easily by just editing the existing ui file (he said hopefully).
I'm not fond of it myself. But this might be one of those times where I trust it just a teensy bit more than my cut & paste skills.

For the record... it looks like designer adds a "tabstops" block after the last closing widget tag with individual "tabstop" elements that contain the object name (in desired tab order).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-17-2024 at 11:18 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 11:14 AM   #112
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
* Ad Plugins > Shortcuts
This fix has now been pushed to master.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:17 AM   #113
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not fond of it myself. But this might be one of those times where I trust it just a teensy bit more than my cut & paste skills.
Actually you are right, you do not have to move it in the ui but you do have to then add a:

Code:
<tabstops>
  <tabstop>UICLASSNAME1</tabstop>
  <tabstop>UICLASSNAME2</tabstop>
</tabstops>
list near the bottom of the ui file right before the <resources> tab.
And that is easily doable in an editor (once you use grep on "class=" to get a list of all of the widgets (skipping layouts)).

Saved!
Old 04-17-2024, 11:22 AM   #114
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
Hi again,

To do a table in HTML is tedious. I edit technical books and I have to code a lot of boring tables. I spend too much time.

I think it could be a good idea to add a button for programming HTML tables. I see examples here:

https://www.tablesgenerator.com/html_tables
https://www.codeguru.com/network/html-table-generator/
https://www.htmltables.io/

A button similar to List button would be very very useful.

Again, thanks in advance.

Use of tables in epubs of more than just a few columns or a few rows creates many issues for smaller e-readers like phone or tablet based ones.

So what I do is define a new Clip that will insert the elements of a *small* table
in CodeView that I can then easily expand/manipulate by copy and paste.

There are limits on table use in Kindles as well (or their were) so promoting their use may not be in the best interest of of the epub designer.

Here is the Clip called "table" that I created with in any text editor and then used Sigil's Clips Editor to create a table clip using paste so that I can add a simple table framework into my CodeView xhtml with a single click:

Code:
<table>
 <caption> Table Caption </caption>
 <thead>
   <tr> <!-- Headings -->
     <th> Column 1 Header </th>
     <th> Column 2 Header </th>
   </tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
<tr> <!-- Row 1 -->
  <td> data1 </td>
  <td> data2 </td>
</tr>
<tr> <!-- Row 2 -->
  <td> data1 </td>
  <td> data2 </td>
</tr>
<tr> <!-- Row 3 -->
  <td> data1 </td>
  <td> data2 </td>
</tr>
</tbody>
<tfoot>
    <tr>
      <th> Footer1 </th>
      <th> Footer2 </th>
    </tr>
</tfoot>
</table>
You can just as easily create a Clip to paste into a CSS stylesheet when in CodeView to help style it. If I have to do a more elaborate table, you can create Clips that just are specific sub elements of a table and use them as needed.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-17-2024 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:27 PM   #115
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
Hi again,

To do a table in HTML is tedious. I edit technical books and I have to code a lot of boring tables. I spend too much time.
I have about 6 table templates with their associated CSS saved in a text file and just copy/paste as needed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:17 PM   #116
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. Preserences > Keyboard Shortcuts
Shortcut field is focus trap for keyboard only users.
The Tab or Shift+Tab keys either do nothing or the tab is inserted into the field when trying to assign.

2. MetaData Editor
Current focus order on the buttons: Add Metadata, Remove, Add Property.

3. Generate Table of Contents
No focus for "Select headings…"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sigil-shortcut-focus-trap.png
Views:	19
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	207674   Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil-toc-no-focus.png
Views:	21
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	207676   Click image for larger version

Name:	sigil-metadata-editor-focus-order.png
Views:	23
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	207677  
Old 04-17-2024, 05:14 PM   #117
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
1. Preserences > Keyboard Shortcuts
Shortcut field is focus trap for keyboard only users.
The Tab or Shift+Tab keys either do nothing or the tab is inserted into the field when trying to assign.
Not much I can do here. Since both Tab and Shift are valid shortcut keys especially when used with other modifiers. All I can do is remove it from the tab to shift focus chain by setting its focusPolicy() to Qt::ClickFocus

Quote:
2. MetaData Editor
Current focus order on the buttons: Add Metadata, Remove, Add Property.
This should now be fixed in master.

Quote:
3. Generate Table of Contents
No focus for "Select headings…"

It is designed that way. It is intentionally set in the HeadingSelector.ui to be Qt::ClickFocus since you must actually activate it from a pulldown that only works in one direction (or sequence).

I will look into how if we can change that combobox widget in some way to make things work. They will probably take a while.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-17-2024 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:25 PM   #118
BeckyEbook
Guru

Ad Shortcuts.

In Windows, virtually all keyboard shortcuts with the Tab key are managed by the system. It is therefore practically impossible to assign any shortcut with a tabulator.

Tab – Move forward through options.
Shift+Tab – Move back through options.
Alt+Tab – Switch between open apps.
Ctrl+Tab – Move to the next tab.
Ctrl+Shift+Tab – Move to the previous tab.
Ctrl+Alt+Tab – Use the arrow keys to switch between all open apps.
Windows_logo_key+Tab – Open Task view.

But of course, I understand that in a multi-platform application, you have to make compromises.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:04 PM   #119
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
* Ad Plugins > Shortcuts
Quote:
Quote:
I want to jump first Toolbar 1 (Plugins 1-5) and then Toolbar 2 (Plugins 6-10).

Name:	sigil-plugins-shortcuts-focus-order.png
Views:	7
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	207681
De-facto standard for Tab order is left→right, top→bottom.

However, that dialogue lacks anything to indicate that the two vertical lists pertain to two different toolbars, if the lists had a heading (e.g. "Plugin toolbar 1" and "Plugin toolbar 2") Becky's preferred Tab order makes sense.

The name of the Tab-Panel "Shortcuts' is confusing, most people would assume it refers to assigning keyboard shortcuts to run plugins, but it's about assigning plugins to toolbar buttons.

Keyboard shortcut assignment to run plugins is where it belongs in Preferences→Keyboard shortcuts- although it lacks any clue as to what plugins are installed, viz:

Name:	sigil-plugins-keyboard-shortcuts.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	207682

Perhaps the original intent was to have the toolbar button AND the keyboard shortcuts assignments on that "Shortcut" tab panel.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-17-2024 at 08:15 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:26 PM   #120
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The shortcuts for those 10 assigned plugins are set in the Shortcut Manager. So by assigning plugins to those positions also assigns whatever shortcut you previoused assigned or are going to assign.

So 6 of of one vs half dozen of another.