Cartavalier
Cartavalier began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book 360
Wait what? You would do that? Where am I? Hahaha
Cartavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:33 AM   #17
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I gave building vsftpd from sources a shot, but could not get it to work. It hangs during negotiations, so whoever built the version from 2013 must have hacked the code to make it work. Too bad I can't find what the changes were. Oh well, sorry if I got your hopes up.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 03:45 AM   #18
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
PB360 has a slot for micro SD card. Perhaps you could load the books using the slot.

I took my old PB360 out and charged it to have a look at what files I have on it. I did not find ftp server program. I know I had it installed at some time, I will try looking through old backups.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:05 AM   #19
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finally managed to get a vsftpd build to work on my pb902 (firmware version 2). So, I recompiled for firmware version 1 and packaged it up in the attachment. This will only work on ancient devices (300, 301, 360). Copy the vsftpd, vsftpd.conf and vsftpd-launcher.app files to the applications directory on the device, and then start the ftp server by running vsftpd-launcher from the applications tab. You should be able to connect to port 2121 on the device via any desktop software that supports the ftp protocol. Use the back button to exit the server. I don't have any of these devices so I have not tested this; let me know if it doesn't work.

Note that I was not able to delete files on the ereader using ftp because of permissions, although I could write them. I saw this same behaviour with the original vsftpd version I got in 2013, so I don't think that this is a problem with my build in particular.

Edit: I included the wrong version of vsftpd in the file I originally attached. I have updated it with the correct version.
Attached Files
File Type: gz vsftpd-3XX.tar.gz (49.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by rkomar; 04-22-2024 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:08 AM   #20
Cartavalier

rkomar, thank you so much for the trouble of making that piece of code. You are amazing. I have downloaded it and will try tonight. The results I will put here.

kacir, this is so simple! How could I forget about the card slot? LOL That would definitely work. I guess my mind got clouded with these days practices when manufacturers keep removing slots and jacks.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:38 PM   #21
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

vsftpd

Hi, look what I found on an old backup drive.

Do you know how to install it on PB360?
Attached Files
File Type: gz vsftpd.tar.gz (51.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-17-2024, 02:12 PM   #22
rkomar
Wizard

Same instructions as I gave in post #19. However, that tarball is probably only good for firmware version 2 and later devices. Maybe you installed it on a 360+ before?
Old 04-17-2024, 03:40 PM   #23
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Same instructions as I gave in post #19. However, that tarball is probably only good for firmware version 2 and later devices. Maybe you installed it on a 360+ before?
I might have installed it on the first front-lit model PB 623 Touch Lux.
Old 04-22-2024, 04:03 AM   #24
Cartavalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Copy the vsftpd, vsftpd.conf and vsftpd-launcher.app files to the applications directory on the device, and then start the ftp server by running vsftpd-launcher from the applications tab.
My apologies for a tardy reply.

I have copied the three files you mentioned. Upon starting the vsftpd-launcher.app, I receive an error: cannot start program.

On the good side of the situation, I have figured out how to connect the e-reader to my computer successfully at all times. I guess my issue was a user mistake haha. It turned out I just need to plug it in the USB port while Pocket Book is ON.

Last edited by Cartavalier; 04-22-2024 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:04 AM   #25
rkomar
Wizard

The error you got forced me to look at the package again, and I realized I had included the wrong version of the vsftpd executable in there. I updated the package with the correct version and attached it in the original message. Would you mind testing it again to see if it works now? I don't have any pocketbook readers that can run it, so I have no idea if I built the programs correctly or not.

Is it possible that you have the newer 360+ model of ereader rather than the original 360? The newer one came out circa 2012, and would use the vsftpd.tar.gz package attached by @kacir rather than the vsftpd-3XX.tar.gz file attached by me.