Notices

Old 04-21-2024, 04:20 AM   #1
ygreq
Enthusiast
ygreq began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
PermissionError for accessing library due to .caltrash

Hi folks!

I am using Calibre since forever. A few years ago I moved my libraries on a server and have been accesing them via SMB. No issues there. Now my libraries are at the address \\\192.168.X.X\[Folder name]\[Calibre folder - library name] instead of the usual address D:/[Folder name]/[Calibre folder - library name]

But I recently moved the libraries to another local server, another PC practically, and I started having issues accessing the libraries.

When trying to access the libraries, it gives me this error:
ERROR: Unhandled exception
PermissionError:[WinError 5] Access is denied: '\\\\192.168.1.XXX\\h02_6T\_calibreTuts\\.caltrash '

Any suggestion on what I should do?
Thank you!!
ygreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 04:36 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Firstly, read this ==>> I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2024, 08:16 AM   #3
ygreq
Enthusiast

Thank you, BetterRed. I read it. I am the only one using the library. But considering I have an always on server and multiple PCs, it makes sense to have my libraries on that server.

And like I said, I had no issues for about 2 years now.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this issue related to caltrash?

Thank you!!
Old 04-21-2024, 08:20 AM   #4
ygreq
Enthusiast

Weirdly enough, I went to the actual folder where the library was and deleted the caltrash folder. And thus managed to access the library via Calibre.

Any solutions to fix this permanently or to just disable caltrash?

Thank you!
Old 04-21-2024, 01:07 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
'It worked until it didn't work' is a common line in these forums. So the only suggestion you'll get is 'take the library off the NAS.'
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2024, 05:27 AM   #6
ygreq
Enthusiast

I understand but I am still looking for other solutions.

For sure I cannot do that.

I had bigger issues while using the libraries before I started using a server. I had limited access as all the libraries where on multiple external HDDs

Because of using them on external HDDs, the libraries tended to break every few months and I had to recreate the whole libraries which took 3-5 days for each.

So yeah. No way.
But thank you for your suggestions!
Old 04-22-2024, 05:33 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
One HDD can now store about a million ebooks. There is no need for a NAS for a Calibre Library. An external HDD should use the main native filesystem of your OS.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 06:38 AM   #8
ygreq
Enthusiast

I have multiple libraries and multiple laptops and I also access my libraries from outside of the local network.

So yeah. I need a NAS. External HDDs does not cut it.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:40 AM   #9
ygreq
Enthusiast

I already got the whole idea with NAS and Calibre not playing well together. But NAS is much better that having them on 8 external HDDs all connected to a single laptop that I wanted to take with me from time to time.

NAS did wonders for me until now with the whole caltrash issue. So the whole point of the post was for suggestions on how to fix the caltrash issue.

Last edited by ygreq; 04-22-2024 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:47 AM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ygreq View Post
I have multiple libraries and multiple laptops and I also access my libraries from outside of the local network.

Use the Calibre server.

Quote:
NAS did wonders for me until now with the whole caltrash issue. So the whole point of the post was for suggestions on how to fix the caltrash issue.
Calibre is fundamentally incompatible with NASs.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:02 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Perhaps ...

No one can suggest a fix for problems running on a NAS because there isn't one. If you make the choice to put a library on a NAS then you must live with the consequences.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 08:13 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I already got the whole idea with NAS and Calibre not playing well together. But NAS is much better that having them on 8 external HDDs all connected to a single laptop that I wanted to take with me from time to time.

The alternative to NAS is not 8 external HDDs.

NAS fundamentally is incompatible with many applications, it's for copies of files, not remote files for a local application.
Even without .caltrash the SQLight files used by Calibre and many applications needs to be on local storage.

You can use the content server, or have potentially up to a million ebooks on an SD card or USB stick or USB HDD (not using exFAT or FAT32, but the main native fs, such as NTFS, ext4 or Apple HPFS etc).

You aren't running IPTV streaming or even your own Spotify (and scaleable versions of those don't share the actual files!).

Maybe your NAS can run Linux programs locally so could run Calibre and the content server.

You can't share files that are used by the SQLight API over any kind of network. Actually network aware / compatible DB2, Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL and MariaDB don't share files over the network. The remote database uses local files.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-22-2024 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:55 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
How small are the external HDDs you are using? Currently, my main laptop has a 1TB NVMe SSD as the main drive and a 2TB SATA SSD as the secondary drive. The 2TB drive was on sale about 18 months back and I added it to allow moving some data off the main SSD. Currently, I have ~16K epubs in my library and they consume 42GB of space. One of my acquaintances who uses a laptop with a 'massive' 256MB internal NVMe SSD is using a external 2TB USB-C connected drive (formatted NTFS) to store his calibre library which is ~34K epubs and last time I looked, it was taking less that 100GB on that external drive.

I do have a NAS which I use for backup and other purposes but I do not place a live calibre library that I am accessing from outside on it. I did try running a containerized calibre on it to use the content server but dropped that after finding it of little use to me.

Last edited by DNSB; 04-22-2024 at 04:07 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 05:06 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Off topic a bit

Also a 6T 7200 rpm 3.5" SATA in a USB 3.0 box is faster than any of the laptop HDDs. That was cheaper than a 512G micro SD card.

I also buy laptop SATA HDDs and USB 3.0 boxes separate as I find the "ready to use" USB 3.0 "backup drives" don't even manage 4800 rpm SATA speeds or USB 2.0 limits.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:26 AM   #15
ygreq
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How small are the external HDDs you are using?
I use Calibre for lots of things including video tutorials, comic books, materials etc. So my libraries are in the order of TBs. Lots of TBs.