Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-14-2023, 12:15 PM   #1
igorius
Zealot
igorius began at the beginning.

Device: ipad & inkpad X
calibre trash-can

I have read in several threads about a trasgh-can and the ability to delete deleted books.
So where is that trash-can and how can i enable that?
And where can i find that "delete deleted books"?
thanks
igorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 12:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is enabled always in the current 6.17 Calibre
Right click the Delete icon for options. The new one is restore recent.

Are you trying to 'empty' the Calibre Trash?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2023, 01:29 PM   #3
igorius
Zealot

You didnt answer my questions!
Here again:
Old 05-14-2023, 02:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorius View Post
Here again:
My understanding was we had to do nothing and delete would no longer use the OS trash.
Well, I just deleted a book in the MDE that I really messed up editing and put a backup in its place.
I have no clue, as it (the bad one) is not in the OS trash or any place I can find AND that button?? It is not a toolbar setting
Old 05-14-2023, 02:30 PM   #5
igorius
Zealot

Ok, the "News" for 6.17 said that there is a new trash-can inside calibre and a setting for the time deleted objects are retained inside that trash-can.
And again no one seems to have seen that things nor is in any place described how and where these settings are.
The real place of that trash is a hidden folder inside the calibre library-folder named .caltrash.
So finally the only way to get it emptied is to delete everything inside this folder via terminal? Great feature!

Last edited by igorius; 05-14-2023 at 02:33 PM.
Advert
Old 05-14-2023, 03:02 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Makes sense as this would be a Per Library (for those of us that use many) I found it (the .cal-trash)

So logic says it should have the button on the Library Icon or the Delete Icon (as that applies to the current Library) but I cant find

It is on the Restore Recently Dialog (on the delete icon)
Old 05-14-2023, 03:07 PM   #7
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Here again:
See post 3 here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=353647
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 03:16 PM   #8
igorius
Zealot

From the "News":
Trash bin: Add a button to clear the bin
Closes tickets: 2017232
Where is it? Nowhere? Am I Dr Who?
Sorry for being sarcastic, but its a real shame!
Old 05-14-2023, 03:20 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
From the "News":
Trash bin: Add a button to clear the bin
Closes tickets: 2017232
Where is it? Nowhere? Am I Dr Who?
Sorry for being sarcastic, but its a real shame!
I posted at 12:02

It is on the Restore Recently Dialog (on the delete icon)
Think like old Windows.
How do you shutdown: Click start, (then you can see the shutdown button)
Old 05-14-2023, 03:40 PM   #10
igorius
Zealot

What a great nonsense!
I dont use windows, and old one less!
Shutdown i do via "Shutdown...", no "Start"
But i see again that the whole thing isnt done for "normal" users, but for coders who think complicated.
A simple trash-can as a button with right-click or the black triangle at the right side like on other buttons would be a great thing and no one would have to ask!
That coders should be in contact with users to avoid such nonsense like the here practised "trash"-behaviour.
I know even better why i dismiss windows completely in my life! I want to live, not be angry about strange nonsense!
But thanks a lot for your great help, dear theducks!
Old 05-14-2023, 04:08 PM   #11
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Are you even reading these posts? Look in the Remove Books menu. You don't need to specifically enable it.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 04:15 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Ok, the "News" for 6.17 said that there is a new trash-can inside calibre and
So finally the only way to get it emptied is to delete everything inside this folder via terminal? Great feature!
I'll spell it out for you: Right click (or use the arrow) 'Remove books' -> 'Restore recently deleted' -> 'Clear'
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 02:35 AM   #13
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Right clicking on a dropdown menu item is not the least bit intuitive.

I request a standard option in the Look & feel -> Main interface panel to completely disable the Calibre trashcan. The option should be put there so that it is easy to find. And it should default to not using an application trashcan.
mcandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 04:34 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandre View Post
Right clicking on a dropdown menu item is not the least bit intuitive.

I request a standard option in the Look & feel -> Main interface panel to completely disable the Calibre trashcan. The option should be put there so that it is easy to find. And it should default to not using an application trashcan.
AFAIK: all the settings in Look & Feel->Main Interface are global, whereas Trash can settings are per library.

So, that might not a good place to put the setting you're after.

If you want to make a formal request for an enhancement, see 4th para at ==>> https://calibre-ebook.com/bugs

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-07-2023 at 04:37 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 07:08 PM   #15
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
You may not have the delete book icon in your toolbar.
Preferences/Toolbar and Menu
Main tool bar.

And swipe from the left to the right the delete book icon, OK and it will appear on your toolbar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	78
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	205089  
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote