Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle 3
Battery Life Comparison: Oasis, PW, Libra?

I still really like my Kindle Keyboard, especially compared to my wife's early generation PaperWhite. However, I would love to have a backlight and am considering picking up an Oasis, Paperwhite, or Libra H2O if there is a good Black Friday deal.

I understand that there are size differences, screen differences, build differences, etc. and I have to sort those out. One of the most important things to me is battery life and after prowling through a lot of threads here I just don't have a handle on what kind of battery life to expect from each of these devices.

I understand that battery life is going to be dependent on how much the device is used, how high the backlight is turned up, etc. but I would appreciate any owners giving me an idea of what to expect as far as how often charging would be required if the reader is used for about an hour per day.

Thanks for the input!
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm3 View Post
I still really like my Kindle Keyboard, especially compared to my wife's early generation PaperWhite. However, I would love to have a backlight and am considering picking up an Oasis, Paperwhite, or Libra H2O if there is a good Black Friday deal.

I understand that there are size differences, screen differences, build differences, etc. and I have to sort those out. One of the most important things to me is battery life and after prowling through a lot of threads here I just don't have a handle on what kind of battery life to expect from each of these devices.

I understand that battery life is going to be dependent on how much the device is used, how high the backlight is turned up, etc. but I would appreciate any owners giving me an idea of what to expect as far as how often charging would be required if the reader is used for about an hour per day.

Thanks for the input!
Why the question? Do you fear a long lasting power failure?
I attach my device at about 30% and can still read!
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
From what I've read, oasis battery life is disappointing. For sure, kindle battery life will be good. Don't know about libra h2o, but I've heard no complaints.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #4
tm3
Groupie
tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.tm3 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Why the question? Do you fear a long lasting power failure?
I attach my device at about 30% and can still read!
Thank you for your helpful contribution.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
tm3
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
From what I've read, oasis battery life is disappointing. For sure, kindle battery life will be good. Don't know about libra h2o, but I've heard no complaints.
Thank you for your observations.
Advert
Old 11-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I have PW3, Original H2O and Libra.
All are excellent. The libra is best. The PW3 is poorer if not used often as it only sleeps.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:33 PM   #7
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
Quote:
I still really like my Kindle Keyboard
Hah, I still hold onto my Kindle Keyboard--even though I don't think I've used it really for over a year...

Having it read to me with text to speech WITH an integrated speaker; those were the days. I know, I know; bluetooth attach a speaker and I can get TTS on a lot of other devices. But then I would have to connect something else--and worry about battery on that, now too. The KK is just so simple and easy for TTS, you know? If I could get all that with a warm light and white light, I'd probably snap that up... but I doubt any vendor will do that anymore (integrated speaker).

With that in mind, that I still have a warm spot in my heart for a KK; my personal current favorite is the Kobo Libra HD; it has the physical page turn buttons (like a KK does). Battery life is very good.

(No TTS on the Libra; I ended up using my cell phone + and app for that kind of thing.)

You don't even mention it as one of your choices, but a Pocketbook is a very close 2nd for a favorite for me. It's battery life is also excellent (I have a touch hd 3)
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
tm3
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I have PW3, Original H2O and Libra.
All are excellent. The libra is best. The PW3 is poorer if not used often as it only sleeps.
Thanks! I didn't realize until this morning that Kindles only sleep, not power off completely.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
tm3
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkissinger View Post
Hah, I still hold onto my Kindle Keyboard--even though I don't think I've used it really for over a year...

With that in mind, that I still have a warm spot in my heart for a KK; my personal current favorite is the Kobo Libra HD; it has the physical page turn buttons (like a KK does). Battery life is very good.

You don't even mention it as one of your choices, but a Pocketbook is a very close 2nd for a favorite for me. It's battery life is also excellent (I have a touch hd 3)
Thanks! Yes I really like my KK; I just wish it had a backlight. Although if the choice is between no backlight or the blotchy backlight on my wife's PW I would pick no backlight.

I will look at Pocketbook.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Although if the choice is between no backlight or the blotchy backlight on my wife's PW I would pick no backlight.
It is impossible that EInk devices can have backlight.
Simply because the EInk layer is impermeable to light.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 11-20-2020 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks! I didn't realize until this morning that Kindles only sleep, not power off completely.
Newer Kindles hibernate. That's practically the same as powering off. I need to charge my hibernating Oasis only once in 4-5 months.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #12
tm3
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
It is impossible that EInk devices can have backlight.
Simply because the EInk layer is impermeable to light.
You are correct. I should have said front light. That is very helpful as far as making my decision so thank you.

Last edited by tm3; 11-20-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:36 AM   #13
tm3
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Newer Kindles hibernate. That's practically the same as powering off. I need to charge my hibernating Oasis only once in 4-5 months.
How often do you have to charge your Oasis when you are using it regularly?
Old 11-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
The Boox Note 3 has the best value i have ever seen.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:37 PM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Depends on how much I've been reading, it varies. Once every 10-14 days is average for me. I read 1-2 hours per day typically, but sometimes less and occasionally more. There are days I've no time for reading at all, but not very often.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote