Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-10-2016, 03:46 AM   #1
Noobien
Enthusiast
Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Looking for a smaller eReader

Hello everyone!

I've been using larger eReaders for about 4 or 5 years now. I started off with a PRS950 and upgraded to an Aura HD when the 950's battery started failing. Both have been wonderful eReaders, but more and more I find myself reading books on my phone (Xperia Z2) as I'm finding the form factor to be a lot more comfortable. I can't help but think I'd use an eReader more if I could get something that's a bit smaller. What are my options in the 5 inch range? I know of the Kobo mini and the Sony PRS350 which is now discontinued, is there anything else on the market with a similar size? I'd also consider something in the 6 inch range but I actually haven't seen that many in person so I'm still a bit unsure about them. Basically my only requirements are that the device has an Eink screen and can read epub files.

Are there any devices that fit the bill apart from the kobo mini?

Thanks!
Noobien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:26 AM   #2
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Pocketbook 360 and 360+ but they are discontinued I think. Probably could still find them out there Im sure (ebay etc). I still have my PB 360, dont really use it anymore (use a 6') but I did love mine...still have it too. Comes with a built in hardcase cover that fits to the back of the ereader when being used one of my favrite features.

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pro...tbook-360-plus

https://www.google.com/search?q=pock...HR_zC5oQsAQIKg

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 01-10-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2016, 05:36 AM   #3
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
They also have or had a Pocketbook Cover-Reader about the size of a cell phone. I personally dont know anything about it though.

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pro...ok-coverreader
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:11 AM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
There is also the smaller Trekstor Pyrus Mini, but like the Pocketbook 360 its discontinued, and probably difficult to find.

I have the Sony 350 and recently bought the Kobo Mini as I hoped it would be an improvement on the PRS350 just by virtue of it being a little newer. The touch screen is a lot more responsive & battery doesn't drain so much when not being used, and its lovely and small and light. But I hate the Kobo case compared to the far slimmer Sony case, and more importantly, I can't bring myself to use it a lot because the screen is even darker on the Mini than my old PRS350 (though the fact my Mini is white might be making it seem worse?), and I find that really off-putting.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for smaller eink readers. :-(
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #5
Noobien
Enthusiast
Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noobien ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
There is also the smaller Trekstor Pyrus Mini, but like the Pocketbook 360 its discontinued, and probably difficult to find.

I have the Sony 350 and recently bought the Kobo Mini as I hoped it would be an improvement on the PRS350 just by virtue of it being a little newer. The touch screen is a lot more responsive & battery doesn't drain so much when not being used, and its lovely and small and light. But I hate the Kobo case compared to the far slimmer Sony case, and more importantly, I can't bring myself to use it a lot because the screen is even darker on the Mini than my old PRS350 (though the fact my Mini is white might be making it seem worse?), and I find that really off-putting.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be much of a market for smaller eink readers. :-(
Had a look online for the Pyrus, can't find anything on eBay at least :/
It kind of sucks that there isn't much of a market for smaller readers. So much regret for not picking up a PRS-350 back when it was widely available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
They also have or had a Pocketbook Cover-Reader about the size of a cell phone. I personally dont know anything about it though.

http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pro...ok-coverreader
Can't seem to find the 360s available online which is a huge shame. Despite the fact that they are (at least in my opinion) quite ugly, they actually seem like they'd be pretty much exactly what I'm looking for
Advert
Old 01-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
I totally agree with both of those points. I bought a Mini because it was even smaller than the 350, but with the Kobo case it's much bulkier than the 350 in the Sony case. And the screen is so dark as to make text the next thing to unreadable, for me. The only thing better about the Mini is that there are finer adjustments to the font size than with the native Sony firmware.

That said, I have the original Glo in a form-fitting case and it's not that much bigger than my 350s, given the loss of buttons. Maybe a sleek 6" reader will serve the purpose.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
The Kobo Aura is a small, slim 6". Really nice design, though the screen is not as sharp as other Kobo readers.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
Noobien
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Maybe a sleek 6" reader will serve the purpose.
If the mini is as bad as it's being made out to be, this might be just the thing I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The Kobo Aura is a small, slim 6". Really nice design, though the screen is not as sharp as other Kobo readers.

I thought this was a really useful image, while I'm unable to get my hands on a new Kobo Aura (discontinued I think?), perhaps the Glo HD might be a good idea?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
The aura has nearly the same size as the sony and even has frontlight. I switched from the 350 to the aura.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
The Aura has almost the same size than Sony 350 but it's bigger and heavier than Mini, and a bit lighter and smaller than Glo HD. I know well the difference among the three first ones (Aura, 350 and Mini as I've owned and used all of them).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have the Kobo Glo, Aura and the Mini and I think they're all excellent devices. Not the best but certainly very good. The downside of the Mini is that it doesn't have a lighted screen. If it did it would be my reader of choice, replacing my Kindle.

The Aura shouldn't be hard to find new on Ebay. I saw some there about a week or two ago, but they were priced a little higher than when they were still available from Kobo.

The Kobo Glo is a little larger and bulkier than the Aura but it's still smaller than most ereaders. Their newest model, the Glo HD is available new and is priced reasonably. I haven't seen one but as I understand it it's identical to my Glo with a better screen. The screen on my Glo is very good, better than on the Aura.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The Kobo Glo is a little larger and bulkier than the Aura but it's still smaller than most ereaders. Their newest model, the Glo HD is available new and is priced reasonably. I haven't seen one but as I understand it it's identical to my Glo with a better screen. The screen on my Glo is very good, better than on the Aura.

Barry
I'm not sure I'd call the Glo and Glo HD "identical". Different height. Different thickness. The Glo HD doesn't have a light switch. Different power switch. Different case material? Different back texture. Different weight? The Glo HD has a reflective strip around the screen/bezel. But other than that, they may be identical?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm not sure I'd call the Glo and Glo HD "identical". Different height. Different thickness. The Glo HD doesn't have a light switch. Different power switch. Different case material? Different back texture. Different weight? The Glo HD has a reflective strip around the screen/bezel. But other than that, they may be identical?
Not identical, but dimensions of the Glo and Glo HD are close enough that I used the case for my Glo on my Glo HD for over six months. This was not the official Kobo case, but a cheap one from ebay. It's design meant the devices had to be the same size.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #14
Noobien
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The Aura shouldn't be hard to find new on Ebay. I saw some there about a week or two ago, but they were priced a little higher than when they were still available from Kobo.
Since you have the Aura, 350 (just for the sake of comparison even though it's unavailable) and mini, which would you recommend the most? A couple of users here have said the mini has a darker screen and bulky case which makes me lean towards the aura more. There are quite a few Auras available from Japan but I'm but I'm not sure if it would work in English and display the Kobo store.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:54 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobien View Post
Since you have the Aura, 350 (just for the sake of comparison even though it's unavailable) and mini, which would you recommend the most? A couple of users here have said the mini has a darker screen and bulky case which makes me lean towards the aura more. There are quite a few Auras available from Japan but I'm but I'm not sure if it would work in English and display the Kobo store.
I'd be pretty surprised if an Aura from Japan wouldn't work just fine in English and work with the Kobo store, although I don't actually know that. I'm confident enough that if I was in the market for one that wouldn't deter me.

I haven't had a 350 but between the Aura and the Glo it's kind of a hard choice. It depends on your priorities. The Aura has a much nicer feel, the flush bezel and it's smaller and lighter. All of those are attractive features to me.

The Glo is still pretty small and pretty light but not as small or light as the Aura. It has a conventional raised bezel. But it has a better screen. Still, the Aura has a decent screen. Just not quite as good as the Glo.

I find reading on either of them pleasant. If I had to decide on one it would be a hard choice but I'd probably pick the Aura. It's screen is good and I like everything else about it better.

The thing about the screens is that when I put the two side by side to compare the difference is pretty obvious. The Glo's screen is obviously better. When I'm reading on them I like either one about as much.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote