Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Lendle User and Copyright Infringement

I use Lendle and generally update my profile a few times monthly with lend-enabled Kindle books I own, in case anyone wants to borrow them. I did an update this week and almost immediately got a flurry of requests. No big deal, I thought. After lending out the fourth book I got curious and noticed it was the same email address requesting the books. No big deal again; some of us are fast readers. When I checked again, I'd loaned this same person about 6 or 7 books in a matter of a couple days, and they'd returned about three of them a day later. I began to get strange ideas. After all, the books being requested aren't novels but theological books on various subjects. It seemed unlikely this person would be reading them so quickly, or would be able to read them all in two weeks.

This morning I went into Lendle and looked up the user's profile; on there is a blogspot link with the word "free" in the site name. I went to the site and found there are download links to many copyright books. There's even a note at the top of the site stating that Blogger has closed their resource libraries due to copyright infringement (and they're sorry for the inconvenience ) but that you can download till mid-October. The site also give links to other sites where books can be downloaded.

I don't see links to any of the books I loaned on there yet (maybe not uploaded yet or they probably won't bother since Blogger plans to shut down the site in a couple of weeks) but I do see other books that show up in this person's Lendle profile history as being borrowed. I tried a couple of the book links and it took me to an Amazon cloud drive, with zip files available for download.

I sent an email to Lendle asking what is the procedure to report this user, and what measures they plan to take. I hope I get a response. But, can anything else be done?
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Huh. I wonder why they even bothered to return them...

What kind of theological books are these, and do the theologies in question have a theological problem with stealing?

I think you have more than done your duty at this point. All you can really do is notify the proper authorities.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Huh. I wonder why they even bothered to return them...

What kind of theological books are these, and do the theologies in question have a theological problem with stealing?

I think you have more than done your duty at this point. All you can really do is notify the proper authorities.
All the books in this so-called free library are Christian books; all non-fiction it seems. I went back to check and there's also audiobooks and music
Old 10-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
All the books in this so-called free library are Christian books; all non-fiction it seems. I went back to check and there's also audiobooks and music
It was somewhat of a rhetorical question.

I suppose the real question is, have they also stolen any books about the prohibition against stealing.

How do people look themselves in the mirror after stealing a book about religion in order to read it and better themselves?
Old 10-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It was somewhat of a rhetorical question.

I suppose the real question is, have they also stolen any books about the prohibition against stealing.

How do people look themselves in the mirror after stealing a book about religion in order to read it and better themselves?
Most of these guys have no care about the books to begin with. They're just making money somehow, and that was probably with ad walls and banners.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
Loosheesh
Wizard

Lendle's helpful () response:

Quote:
Hi, <removed>!

We do not host any book files at Lendle. All booklending actions go through Amazon's website. If someone is somehow able to get book files, they are not getting them through Lendle because all we do is allow one user to request a book from another user via Amazon's request form. The book is then borrowed through Amazon's system. It is then returned to the original owner's Amazon account 14 days after acceptance. I hope that helps ease your mind!

Kind Regards,
The Lendle Team
I know the process; I simply wanted to know what they planned to do about someone who may be abusing the system *sigh*
Old 10-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
TakaMeany
TakaMeany knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'TakaMeany knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'TakaMeany knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'TakaMeany knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'TakaMeany knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'TakaMeany knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'TakaMeany knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'TakaMeany knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'TakaMeany knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'TakaMeany knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'TakaMeany knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Hi Loosheesh,

I am one of the admins at Lendle and we will follow up and take action in this case. I am a little surprised that blogspot doesn't shut a site like that down immediately. If anybody owns the rights to any of the material pirated on that site you should go here to seek action https://support.google.com/legal/ans...t=blogger&rd=2
TakaMeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #8
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakaMeany View Post
Hi Loosheesh,

I am one of the admins at Lendle and we will follow up and take action in this case. I am a little surprised that blogspot doesn't shut a site like that down immediately. If anybody owns the rights to any of the material pirated on that site you should go here to seek action https://support.google.com/legal/ans...t=blogger&rd=2
I got your follow-up emails; thank you
Old 10-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I just joined lendle and most of the books I'm adding are not lendable. Does that sound right?
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Sounds about right -- most of the books I'd like to borrow aren't borrowable (and the ones which are, don't get lent).