Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Where to Buy ????

So... I bought a Libre as it was the only one accessible from here, and seemed to have my features, but I'm annoyed by the idea of converting everything...

...not out of the box yet, I'm considering a return AFTER SEEING THIS EZ READER POCKET PRO !

HOWEVER... where to buy?

I remember seeing them listed for under $200, but now.... only Newegg sells in Canada? and for $260 +

There is a company web but still $200 + almost $50 ! to ship to Canada.

Anyone know where they can be bought at a less painful price in or to Canada ?

(ps- I thought they were comparable in price to the Libre and JB )

Thanks
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Are you looking for a Astak reader or the Azurtek Libre? Which one?
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
cancelx
Nervous Groupie

Hi, I bought the Libre, but I'm looking for the Astak Pocket Pro.

Actually, I'm lookin for the PP at a good price (and not inflated shipping)

From here, they would cost more than the Sony PRS600 Touchscreen !

Thanks mate
Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Get it directly from Astak via: TheEZReader Website. It ships from California, so I'm not sure how much shipping might be for you, but it's $199 + shipping (maybe $18 to $20 USD).

I'd probably wait a few days if you want that free book light offer again. Otherwise, it'll come with the normal 2 GB Kingston SD card.

Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 03-07-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
cancelx
Nervous Groupie

hi.

no mate they want a crazy $45 bucks shipping !

besides, itried the site and it keeps saying to fill the info in correctly, regardless of what i do... so...

and what do you mean the free light? special? i don't see one?

kindest
Advert
Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post
hi.

besides, itried the site and it keeps saying to fill the info in correctly, regardless of what i do... so...

kindest
International sales probably need to go to the Astak site.

Hey! I had to pay $13.95 for shipping and I am close enough to Astak, that 1 gallon of gas would get me there and back (Stupid retail box shape will not fit a US Priority Flat rate Box. $6.95)

Have you ever filled out Commercial Customs forms? Signed by hand.
A real PITA with all the post 9-11 garbage.
So much for NAFTA :/
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
cancelx
Nervous Groupie

haha

i know some paperwork can suck.

but, if it was a standard box, or even put that in a bag envelope... and depending on the wording, it's a one-page like 5-6 line deal.

I buy from and used to sell to the US and overseas a bit. ive seen some have to do the 3-4 page deal, but when using USPS almost always avoids it. it's the only service I use.

anyway.. yeah, ive bought complete laptops for $20 shipping, so go figure right?

Thanks though,
Old 03-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Periodically, Astak runs promotions where they throw in extras, like reading lights, with the readers. They did that in February and it looks like they'll be doing it again soon. It's not something they put on the website.

I would recommend calling Astak and talking to a live person. They are still small enough that a person versus a computer answers the phone. I had a similar unusual shipping question and Amy was very helpful.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
hi.

kindest
Is that through ordering from www.theezreader.com? I know ordering through the international page shipping is $45 flat fee, but I was under the impression that the US and Canada purchases did not go through the International page and paid a lower freight charge.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
cancelx
Nervous Groupie

Thanks guys, I'll call tomorrow !!

And yes, it's through the international order page as that's the only open that works when you put Canada into the form. I know, it really should not be, in reality there's like $4-5 diff between our countries.

I'll see too if there's any promotions going on... would be a big sign me up thing (ok, I'm cheap at time, haha)

Thanks
jim

(ps--- while im at it, can anyone compare from experience the Pocket Pro and the Libre, which I'd be returning)
Old 03-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
Get it directly from Astak via: TheEZReader Website. It ships from California, so I'm not sure how much shipping might be for you, but it's $199 + shipping (maybe $18 to $20 USD).

I'd probably wait a few days if you want that free book light offer again. Otherwise, it'll come with the normal 2 GB Kingston SD card.
I don't think they're still doing the card. At least, mine didn't come with one, a couple weeks ago. It was interesting though, because the shipping was higher than I expected. I checked the price on shipping in January, before they ran the light deal, and it was around $13. Then I checked the price of shipping when they were doing the free light, and it went up to $17. And when I ordered mine about a week after the free light, the shipping was still $17, but no extras were included. I just figured they raised their shipping prices, and were no longer giving away the SD cards. I wasn't shipping international though, just up to Oregon.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
cancelx
Nervous Groupie

HOLD ON A SEC......

I thought a 2 GB card and the regular case (no light) were STANDARD included accessories ?????
Old 03-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
HOLD ON A SEC......

I thought a 2 GB card and the regular case (no light) were STANDARD included accessories ?????
The protective case is standard, but the 2GB card from my impression was a gift, not a standard item.

Edit: IIRC the 2GB card was sent with pre-orders. With mine I received a 1GB card with 300 public domain books.

Last edited by Solicitous; 03-07-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: mistakes
Old 03-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
I got the case, and everything the website says comes in the box. According to http://www.theezreader.com/html/highlights.html, it comes with
  • EZ Reader Device
  • Carrying Case
  • Earbuds
  • Wrist leash
  • Power Adapter
  • USB Cable
  • Users Manual

And I got all that.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #15
Solicitous
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davimee View Post
I don't think they're still doing the card. At least, mine didn't come with one, a couple weeks ago. It was interesting though, because the shipping was higher than I expected. I checked the price on shipping in January, before they ran the light deal, and it was around $13. Then I checked the price of shipping when they were doing the free light, and it went up to $17. And when I ordered mine about a week after the free light, the shipping was still $17, but no extras were included. I just figured they raised their shipping prices, and were no longer giving away the SD cards. I wasn't shipping international though, just up to Oregon.
Shipping did go up some time ago. I recall when I ordered mine last year that it was $40US for international orders, but noticed when mine arrived that the shipping charge on the box was $42 (in short Astak charged me $40 for shipping, they paid $42). So couple the extra cost of shipping and cost of packaging etc, I think the increase in shipping is well justified and appropriate (international orders are now $45US).