Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
astak any plans for a 9 inch + screen

i love my 5 inch, and really like this company.

would like a product like the que or skiff from astak instead.

basically to read pdf's untouched in native format.

any one know whether one is planned or just go for the que ?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Jinke, which makes the EZ Reader devices, has previewed the Hanlin A6 and A9. The latter with a 9" screen. It is in the E-book Reader Matrix. There will be other vendors using this new SiPix e-paper screen, see CeBIT Video: Asus DR-900. It seems likely that the A6 and A9 will be offered as EZ Readers, but there has been no announcement yet.

A 9" screen is significantly smaller than the screens of the QUE and Skiff, but it probably is big enough when combined with good PDF software and the 9" devices are likely to be much cheaper.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Slight delay on all SiPix screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Jinke, which makes the EZ Reader devices, has previewed the Hanlin A6 and A9. The latter with a 9" screen. It is in the E-book Reader Matrix. There will be other vendors using this new SiPix e-paper screen, see CeBIT Video: Asus DR-900. It seems likely that the A6 and A9 will be offered as EZ Readers, but there has been no announcement yet.

A 9" screen is significantly smaller than the screens of the QUE and Skiff, but it probably is big enough when combined with good PDF software and the 9" devices are likely to be much cheaper.
Cannot say why, but there will be a delay for all SiPix screened product.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need to change your signiture to show Pocket PRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
i love my 5 inch, and really like this company.

would like a product like the que or skiff from astak instead.

basically to read pdf's untouched in native format.

any one know whether one is planned or just go for the que ?
Dear oncdoc:

Yes, an Astak 9 inch is definitely coming. Some unexpected delay with SiPix screens will delay everybody. I am not at liberty to sat why or give details. BUT... you are absolutely agreed with here. A 9 inch is rather urgently needed. You will not be disappointed in the end. The cost should be way better than the que and I am sure Astak will again include the case abd ear buds with it.

I wish I could say more. We are really wanting to bring one out badly!!
Old 03-06-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
Nikko73
Enthusiast
Nikko73 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura One (after Hanlin, Sony and other Kobo devices)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear oncdoc:

Yes, an Astak 9 inch is definitely coming. Some unexpected delay with SiPix screens will delay everybody. I am not at liberty to sat why or give details. BUT... you are absolutely agreed with here. A 9 inch is rather urgently needed. You will not be disappointed in the end. The cost should be way better than the que and I am sure Astak will again include the case abd ear buds with it.

I wish I could say more. We are really wanting to bring one out badly!!
Hi Robert - Without saying why there is a delay, could you indicate how long till the Sipix appears? Are we talking a month, 2 months, several months or longer?

Cheers

Nikko
Nikko73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko73 View Post
Hi Robert - Without saying why there is a delay, could you indicate how long till the Sipix appears? Are we talking a month, 2 months, several months or longer?

Cheers

Nikko

Yes, I'd like to know that too, as I'm undecided between Astak and another reader! I could wait, but I need to know approximately how long.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
Robertb

Are we talking a month or more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko73 View Post

Cheers

Nikko
Dear Nikko:

Your question is a good one and deserves an answer. Unfortuantely, if I say too much I jeapordize everything. There is a glitch that came up on the SIPix screens just before full production. I am not privy to exactly what happened or how big of a glitch it is. My guess is that they are working full-time on this; and I hope to God we are talking a month delay before full production starts.

I cannot state what happened... only that these types of problems are pretty normal before a full production run. Nothing ever goes like clockwork when you think you are about to start up the huge lines. Look at it this way... they are losing a fortune with every day of delay. I assume engineers are on this day and night. Meanwhile, factories that make eBook Readers are screaming their heads off for product. I would not expect a long delay... but just do not know.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
well, from what I heard the SIPIX has been constantly trying to overtake the e-Ink based screens as far as the whiteness of the screen is concerned.
Finally, they have succeeded only to find out that the viscosity of the liquidity used was too high, thus resulting in a low response under lower temperatures (0 - +5 C ).
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
I got to play with the new Kindle last week, and it is too danged big. While I think it is great that Astak will sell some kind of 9" reader (there is obviously demand), I'll stick with my 5" PP. The folks I showed it off to all commented on how light and easy to handle it is.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
Robertb

9 inch too big on eBook Reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIbHom View Post
I got to play with the new Kindle last week, and it is too danged big. While I think it is great that Astak will sell some kind of 9" reader (there is obviously demand), I'll stick with my 5" PP. The folks I showed it off to all commented on how light and easy to handle it is.
Dear QIbHom:

I know from my own personal experience that the lightness and the feel are very important. Hence, I love the 5 inch Pocket PRO.

BUT... I also know that the 9 inch size is going to be critical for newspaper and periodical reading. It will also be a major requirement for schools. While there is that larger size need coming... lightness is still going to be most important. This is why I laugh out loud when someone thinks the iPad is an eBook Reader. At 1.5 pounds you would need to hire someone to hold it or use it on a platform of some type. The size is cumbersome for traveling on an airplane. The iPad may develop to be a hit or a miss... but calling it an eBook Reader is a bit too much for me. I would HOPE that our new 9 inchers will weigh under 9 ounces. That is about all I would want to hold in my hand for any length of time.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Dear QIbHom:

I know from my own personal experience that the lightness and the feel are very important. Hence, I love the 5 inch Pocket PRO.

BUT... I also know that the 9 inch size is going to be critical for newspaper and periodical reading. It will also be a major requirement for schools. While there is that larger size need coming... lightness is still going to be most important. This is why I laugh out loud when someone thinks the iPad is an eBook Reader. At 1.5 pounds you would need to hire someone to hold it or use it on a platform of some type. The size is cumbersome for traveling on an airplane. The iPad may develop to be a hit or a miss... but calling it an eBook Reader is a bit too much for me. I would HOPE that our new 9 inchers will weigh under 9 ounces. That is about all I would want to hold in my hand for any length of time.
You can hope anything you wish but you do realize that a 9" screen is more than twice as big as a 6" screen and you hope it is less than 2 oz heavier. Not a very realistic hope I am afraid and as an Astak representative you are likely creating false expectations. I suspect getting it under a pound will be a tough target.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
Robertb

Dale knows best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You can hope anything you wish but you do realize that a 9" screen is more than twice as big as a 6" screen and you hope it is less than 2 oz heavier. Not a very realistic hope I am afraid and as an Astak representative you are likely creating false expectations. I suspect getting it under a pound will be a tough target.

Dale
Dear All:

Nobody knows better than Dale. You have to trust his opinion. I STILL want it light; but I will bow to Dale on this.

Of course, if it comes in closer to 9 ounces than all of us can say "YOU was wrong"!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
anyupdates on the 10inch reader?
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
Robertb

No 10 inch... only 9 inch

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
anyupdates on the 10inch reader?
Dear ALL:

SCREENS are only made in certain sizes. The SIPix screen will be a real breakthrough but will only come in 9 inch (at least for now). PVI may make a 9.7 inch but .7 of an inch diagonally is going to be so small you will not note much difference if at all.

There may, some day, be a 14 inch. Who knows? The point I am trying to make is the screen is made first... then the device! Manufacturers of eBook Readers do not dictate screen sizes. Screen manufacturing companies do what they deem will produce the best yield and keep costs down.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
SCREENS are only made in certain sizes. The SIPix screen will be a real breakthrough but will only come in 9 inch (at least for now). PVI may make a 9.7 inch but .7 of an inch diagonally is going to be so small you will not note much difference if at all.
For more information, see the Larger Devices section of the E-book Reader Matrix - which has a row for Display Size. Note that only devices with 7", 8.1", and 9.7" screens are actually shipping. The Hanlin A9 is the best documented SiPix device, and you can see that its 9" screen is only 10% shorter than the Kindle/eDge 9.7" screen. All of the screens above 9.7" have a flexible backplane, but none is shipping yet.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote