Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
ajumbaje
ajumbaje began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
kindle 2 or dx

I was looking to use my amazon credit from trading in some games. I went through some options like a psp go, etc, but thought, "Hey, what about a kindle?"

Needless to say, its between a kindle 2 international version aka the one available right now and a kindle dx

I know the physical differences between the two, but I was wondering what you all think which one would be better for me based on these points:

-Im a big guy - 6'5, but Ive had tiny things before and can deal with that.
-I am starting to read more books. I am also looking to subscribe to some newspapers and magazines when I get one.
-Don't need a ton of features because I have an iphone.
-Don't have bad eyesight...yet :/

Also, if there's another ereader out there you would like to suggest, please, let me know.

One more thing, is there a way I can put books downloaded from the barnes and noble store onto a kindle? I got a barnes and noble gift card for christmas(I know theres some issues with the nook right now) and was looking to get a couple of ebooks with it.
ajumbaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajumbaje View Post

One more thing, is there a way I can put books downloaded from the barnes and noble store onto a kindle? I got a barnes and noble gift card for christmas(I know theres some issues with the nook right now) and was looking to get a couple of ebooks with it.
Welcome to Mobileread, ajumbaje.......

No way to use the BN books on the Kindle,........unless you could figure out how to strip the drm and change the format......which is (disclaimer here) illegal.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Unless you're reading lots of magazines and technical information, I would go with the Kindle2 rather than the DX. I think that you will find the screen size of the K2 very adequate for everyday books, and the smaller size is nice for "taking your Kindle on the go".

As to other ebook readers, I have been very impressed with my sister's Astak Pocket Pro. Very nice and compact and reads lots of formats including drm's epub and pdf. If you are desperate to use your gift card at B&N, check out the posts here at MR from I love cabbages. They have developed a couple of python scripts that solve the DRM issue.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote