Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
litobro
litobro began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad 2nd Gen
Student looking for all round ereader

Well, you read it right, i'm a student looking for an all around ebook reader. Being relatively new to this field. I'm a big computer junkie in terms of PC/Mac's. Running a hackintosh dualbooting with Win7. Anyways, what i need.

1. Note taking support. An easy to use, easily synced note taking interface. I looked at the Sony ones instore, but they do not appear to support multiple pages. (Must)

2. Wifi + Web browser, i'm a Canadian, so the kindle doesn't make sense for me here. I just need something i can access the interblag from! Preferably first party, but third party hacks are acceptable. (Must)

3. I'm not too worried about file formats, i have no problem sitting around converting.

I have taken a look at the promising Entourage eDGe, although that's a long wait. Any suggestion on what to take a look at for now?
litobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, litobro.

I'm sure you'll be getting lots of suggestions soon..........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm not sure if you are going to get what you are looking for right now. If the Apple tablet actually ever comes out, that might be for you. The only two readers I know that have note taking are the Kindle and the 600, and I don't think the Kindle's capabilities in that are much more than the 600's. Also, you're not going to get great web browsing on an eink device. It's just not optimized for that. Have you considered an iPod touch?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
litobro

I have an ipod touch, though i want something bigger, essentially, just a basic web browser with some basic CSS support. Doesn't have to look flashy, i'm a stickler for oldies anyways, so poorly formatted web browsing isn't foreign to me. Shame note taking isn't where i want it to be then. The iLiad doesn't look TOO bad with their sync software. Although my normal machine is Mac -.-.

The sad thing is that the Apple Newton has essentially everything I want XD. I have a wifi card that is compatible, and the note taking was phenomenal.

Thanks Desert, and thank you lilac.

Views on the iLiad for basic web browsing and note taking?(Using the sync software alongside with it, how does it hold up for math diagrams?)
Old 12-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i agree with lilac_jive.. probably the iPod Touch might work for you.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
litobro

As stated before, I have an iPod Touch. The issue being it has such a small screen, and i can't scribble on it. That may have come off sounding harsh, sorry, i didn't mean for it to.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
ebook readers are not at a state of sophistication that can satisfy power users, academics, or others who are interested in doing more than elementary reading and book buying.

Wait at very least until CES in January. There is expected to be a fairly sizable tablet/ebook presence, and 2010 in general may see the technology mature a little bit. I'm really hoping 2010 sees better hardware design and adoption of better screen technologies.

If you need something now, perhaps check out some small form tablets by Archos. I don't know if they'd be satisfactory either, but they are much better than any current ebook reader for general usability.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:07 AM   #8
litobro

I suppose, i would jump on the iliad if it wasn't for the risk of it becoming abandonware very soon. Hopefully 2010 allows for great new technology.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #9
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
You may see ONYX 6" for Wacom touch screen. (better than SONY touch screen).
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:01 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no eInk device currently on the market which will meet your requirements. The closest thing would be something like a Tablet PC. eInk devices are hopeless for general web browsing, due to the slow refresh rate of the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:21 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is no eInk device currently on the market which will meet your requirements. The closest thing would be something like a Tablet PC. eInk devices are hopeless for general web browsing, due to the slow refresh rate of the screen.
Yes, I agree, you should look at a tablet or convertible. Possibly a MID.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #12
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
i agree, there are several slate/tablet PC's out now that would come much closer to what you want than any e-ink device.

I love my DR 1000s, and it takes notes quite well, but I wouldn't want to try web browsing on it even if it had wifi.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #13
litobro

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I think as soon as I can find out where to order an iLiad i'm getting one of those. I know it seems like i pushed web browsing, but what i really meant was just a light weight thing with basic support. I'm used to mobile browsing, and browsing on antiquated Macintosh's(contrary to what people say, it's not bad). The linux kernel and SDK available for the iLiad is just a point that reassures me for some reason, as a hobbyist dev, i think it could be supported by the community long after it stops being supported by the manufacturer. Thanks again for all the input, and I understand your points of view, but i guess i didn't make it clear that i didn't need a full fledged web browser, just a simple little thing. (B&W is fine, no flash is fine, limited CSS is fine)