Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2009, 12:09 AM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Astak Announces New 6" Mentor Lite with Pictures & Price

I was just visiting RobertB's blog, and I noticed that Astak has announced a new 6" reader called the Mentor Lite.
http://robertbez.blogspot.com/2009/0...version-2.html

It's features include:
- MP3
- Adobe Digital Editions w/ reflow; A dozen formats.
- Epson controller
- 8 levels of grey scale
- Colors: Black, white, and a Metallic Pink.
- Leather-like (?) case
- 8 levels of font increase
- User-replaceable rechargeable battery
- SD card slot up to 4GB
- Sudoku
- Weight Under 7 oz

If I recall correctly, Astak sources its readers from both HanLin and Netronix. Astak uses the EZ Reader name for HanLin sourced readers and the Mentor name for Netronix-sourced ones. That would make this announcement from the Netronix line. However, this is the first I've heard of a Netronix 6-inch with the Epson controller.

I've sent a note to Astak (RobertB) to see if they have pricing or availability announced yet. I'll post back if I hear from them.
=======================

I heard back from Astak. Price is around $259. They also shared some pictures. I've included them below (I hope this works, I'm new at posting pics).

======================

p.s. I didn't want to create a duplicate thread. Can a moderator rename this thread to: Astak Announces New 6" Mentor Lite with Pictures & Price
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mentor Lite Color Low Res..JPG
Views:	620
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	35493

Name:	Mentor Lite Main Control.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	35494

Name:	Mentor Lite One Button Push.JPG
Views:	519
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	35495

Name:	Mentor Lite showing Horizontal and Font.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	35496

Name:	Mentor Lite Sudoku.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	35497

Last edited by emellaich; 09-05-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added price and pictures
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Pics would be nice, too.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'd guess it's one of the newer EB600 models listed on Netronics site, wonder which one. Maybe the 'Cookie'

http://www.netronixinc.com/product_e-book.htm
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
The Mentor Lite is available for purchase at Astak's website - regular price $289, special discount price $249. http://www.astak.com/product.asp?serial=EB-EB600BLK
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
The Mentor Lite is available for purchase at Astak's website - regular price $289, special discount price $249. http://www.astak.com/product.asp?serial=EB-EB600BLK
Right, but according to the blog this announcement is a version 2 of the Mentor Lite. The version on the astak site only has 4 grayscale levels and this new version has 8 grayscale levels (courtesy of the Epson controller). This should also mean faster page turns -- I think RobertB would say "blazing fast" but I think we need to wait for reports or video .
Advert
Old 09-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Wait, does that mean in a near future we will see that rumored 9 inch Astak Mentor reader (with touchscreen)? I hope so =D

EDIT: I hope is the EB900 showed here http://www.netronixinc.com/product_e-book.htm

Last edited by Chiron; 09-05-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: More info
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I want to know is if the ADE on this new Astak Mentor has the same bugs as the EZ Reader/Pocket PRO or has it gone through proper QA?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I want to know is if the ADE on this new Astak Mentor has the same bugs as the EZ Reader/Pocket PRO or has it gone through proper QA?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:23 AM   #9
emellaich
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My guess -- and its just a guess -- is that you should look to the ADE implementation on the OPUS. Once upon a time, I guessed that Bookeen's development came from Netronix and several Mobileread'ers corrected me on that. However, in this case I think there is further reason to look to Netronix for the ADE implementation.

I am guessing that Netronix has purchased an ADE license to cover all of their distributors in order to spread the cost across as many units as possible. The question is whether implementation of the SDK is left up to each distributor individually. We know that, at least in the case of Astak, they tend to purchase their software from the manufacturer. I think their is a reasonable chance that the ADE is identical between the Opus and the Mentor.

We do know the overall software is different. For example, there is no Suduko on the Opus (not saying that is bad, just different). However, I still believe there is a chance they share the ADE software because of the costs.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
My guess -- and its just a guess -- is that you should look to the ADE implementation on the OPUS. Once upon a time, I guessed that Bookeen's development came from Netronix and several Mobileread'ers corrected me on that. However, in this case I think there is further reason to look to Netronix for the ADE implementation.
It appears that Bookeen did their own ADE port. I base this on it having 12 font sizes. All the other mobile ADE licensees on the Netronix EB-600 platform (Astak Mentor, COOL-ER, and Elonex eBook) appear to be using the same port (by Netronix?). I base this on them all having 8 font sizes, and all having the Suduko game. I think the Netronix version does reflow for PDFs, vs the zoom for PDFs on the Opus, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

If the Mentor is using the Netronix port, it has been available on the COOL-ER and Elonex for a while. It could still have bugs, particularly since these devices have not been popular with experienced ebook hands (who probably already have a Cybook Gen3 if they want an EB-600).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:55 AM   #11
emellaich
Wizard

Good input Wallcraft. I was aware of the Suduko difference. But I thought maybe there was a single port plugged into Netronix versus Bookeen library. However, the 8 font versus 12 font difference is convincing.

MLH
Old 09-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To answer Jon's question: all the ADE ports on the EB600 clones that I'm aware of, do support hyperlinks in ePubs. It's the Jinke devices which don't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:19 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To answer Jon's question: all the ADE ports on the EB600 clones that I'm aware of, do support hyperlinks in ePubs. It's the Jinke devices which don't.
Well, that's right Harry. I just hope that this version of Netronix' firmware is more stable than that on the Cool-er!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:06 AM   #14
emellaich
Wizard

I mentioned that I sent some followup questions to Astak. Here are a few more details.

Availability in 3 Weeks, that would put it about September 30.
Formats: Pdf, epub, doc, jpg/bmp, txt, pdb, fb2, html, lit, prc and possibly more
Memory 512MB internal plus SD card slot
Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd guess it's one of the newer EB600 models listed on Netronics site, wonder which one. Maybe the 'Cookie'

http://www.netronixinc.com/product_e-book.htm
I don't think so. Rather it is a revised EB600 with the new display controller to make a up to date 2009 model. At least that is what it looks like.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote