Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
clarter
clarter is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Homemade Kindle DX Cover

So I got my DX just a few days after it came out and was looking for a cover. Every one of them looks like an executive portfolio cover. Not one has any real style (Unless you count Executive Portfolio as a style).

So I decided to make my own.

Also see the attached photos.

Looking around I found an old Dungeons and Dragons manual (Yeah I'm one of those guys) begging to to be cut up and re-purposed. The size was perfect so I ripped out the pages to get the book boards from it.

I re-covered the boards with a handmade mulberry paper from a scrapbook store, and used a fabric ribbon to make the spine.

The interior is made from black craft foam.
I lined the front and back covers with thin pieces of craft foam.
For the surrounding body I used two thicker pieces (each about 1/4 inch thick) and glued them together. Then when dry I cut it to fit the Kindle DX with a craft knife. Then glued that to the craft foam on the back cover.

Once that was dry I cut it down to allow access to the USB/Charging port and the headphone jack and power switch.

This has made a very sturdy cover that is also very light weight.
The foam holds it securely, and provides protection.
Plus I get the "book" experience when I use it instead of feeling like I'm carrying around a presentation I'm about to show to a CEO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleCover1.jpg
Views:	915
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	31118   Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleCover2.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	31119   Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleCover3.jpg
Views:	1474
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	31120  
clarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, clarter.

Well done on your cover.

Enjoy the forums.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
301verbs
Enthusiast
301verbs began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
That's pretty interesting. Is the foam on the bottom edge strong enough to hold the Kindle up by itself, or is there also something else supporting it?
301verbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
clarter

The foam itself is enough. It's cut to the curved edges of the DX so the corners, where it's just slightly thicker due to the curve, supports it quite well, and sends some of the support into the sides a bit. The foam does flex just a bit on the bottom (maybe 1/16 inch) but the glue that I used is specifically designed for craft foam (Craft foam glue from Beacon) and holds very well, it hasn't separated at all and is quite firm. The other edges I have not seen any flexing at all.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
That's as good as some of the ones on the market.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Thats a nice cover
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That's incredibly stylish. Also has the added benefit that people won't be inclined to steal it if they see it sitting on your desk!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Looking around I found an old Dungeons and Dragons manual (Yeah I'm one of those guys) begging to to be cut up and re-purposed.
The blasphemy! Although your kindle does get a +1 bonus now. Seriously though it looks nice. Hope you enjoy your kindle DX.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoric View Post
...your kindle does get a +1 bonus...
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
301verbs
Enthusiast
301verbs began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarter View Post
The foam itself is enough. It's cut to the curved edges of the DX so the corners, where it's just slightly thicker due to the curve, supports it quite well, and sends some of the support into the sides a bit. The foam does flex just a bit on the bottom (maybe 1/16 inch) but the glue that I used is specifically designed for craft foam (Craft foam glue from Beacon) and holds very well, it hasn't separated at all and is quite firm. The other edges I have not seen any flexing at all.
Cool, I hadn't thought about the pressure on the corners.
301verbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #11
lovestoreadalot
Connoisseur
lovestoreadalot began at the beginning.

Device: none

Last edited by lovestoreadalot; 09-12-2010 at 06:49 PM.
lovestoreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #12
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Nice!
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #13
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
Very nice indeed, it looks sturdy.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
freecia
Enthusiast
freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3 3g+wifi, kindle 2, kindle 1
Oh! This gives me all sorts of ideas as I'm looking for a cover that I can fold back without cracking the hinge areas. Plus spending a whole lot less than the retailers are charging would be nice...

When cutting the foam, did you just lay the kindle out and trace, then cut? Or should I put the kindle 2/dx on the copier and make a cutout, then tape it to the foam for exact cutting?
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
clarter

I just traced around it with the craft knife. I didn't try to cut all the way through with it in place though. Once the foam was scored all the way around I removed the kindle then cut through. The craft foam seem to cut best using multiple shallow cuts. If I tried to cut too deep it tended to leave a rougher edge.

Tags
diy cover, kindle dx cover