Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Children of Dune terrible in ePub

I just checked out Children of Dune from the library in ePub. It's terrible. It has no proper cover and the cover it has is a duplicate of the front page in lower resolution. The paragraphs have spaces between them. There are no chapter heading differentiating the chapters so in the ToC we have
For the various chapters.

This is just terrible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoD.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	27902  

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-21-2009 at 09:39 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yeesh. Is it right justified or something? It made my eyes goggle, and I couldn't even read the words. The shape of the thing is awkward somehow. I think maybe it is right justified with a ragged left margin.

Did you buy it somewhere? Can you get a refund?

**** never mind, I see it was a library book ******
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, I don't see what's wrong with it...

A lot of books have spaces between paragraphs (people seem to think that is a must if using electronic means to read something, I think...) And the Dune novels don't have chapter headings. At all. I know, I have them all in pbook (except the last two, Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Using ADE 1.7.x under Windows, it is full justified. But the paragraph spaces and lack of proper Chapter headers and a very poor ToC make it not all that nice.

I got it from the library. So I didn't have to pay for it. I did do a return item and it's bac at the library (I hope).
Old 04-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Hmm, I don't see what's wrong with it...

A lot of books have spaces between paragraphs (people seem to think that is a must if using electronic means to read something, I think...) And the Dune novels don't have chapter headings. At all. I know, I have them all in pbook (except the last two, Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Using ADE 1.7.x under Windows, it is full justified. But the paragraph spaces and lack of proper Chapter headers and a very poor ToC make it not all that nice.

I got it from the library. So I didn't have to pay for it. I did do a return item and it's bac at the library (I hope).

I think that maybe what makes it so weird looking in the screenshot is the added blank lines + the paragraph indent. To my eyes, it makes it seem sort of difficult wavy looking. Personally, my eyes don't see straight lines as straight, and the indent draws my vision off course onto the next line.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I think that maybe what makes it so weird looking in the screenshot is the added blank lines + the paragraph indent. To my eyes, it makes it seem sort of difficult wavy looking. Personally, my eyes don't see straight lines as straight, and the indent draws my vision off course onto the next line.
I agree, those things are hard to read on a computer screen. But the average ereader is smaller and the effect isn't that bad then. But I wish they'd leave those empty lines out...

JSWolf, did you also read the other Dune novels? How did they do the TOC there? I think you just need to ignore it. How can you make a TOC for a book that just doesn't have chapters?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That page looks fine to me, but obviously issues with the TOC, etc, need to be addressed. I have no problem with spaces between paragraphs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I agree, those things are hard to read on a computer screen. But the average ereader is smaller and the effect isn't that bad then. But I wish they'd leave those empty lines out...

JSWolf, did you also read the other Dune novels? How did they do the TOC there? I think you just need to ignore it. How can you make a TOC for a book that just doesn't have chapters?
The effect of line spaces is to add pages and pages to the reading. And that means a lot more page turns. Plus, I really do not like the look with the spaces. Plus, why can't we have a real cover page? As for the ToC, even though the pBook doesn't have chapter headers, there is nothing to say the eBook cannot. Besides, the pBook doesn't have a ToC.

I have not seen any of the others yet. But I'm not expecting much if I ever get to see them.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I wouldn't mind that much, until recently, I put my lines between paragraphs, it made for easier reading for me, but now I use 130% line spacing, and I don't need them

the toc needs to be fixed up, but other than that, the text looks good, 5 mins in book designer to add chapter titles, and its fine
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
One man's meat....

I don't think I have covers for 75% of my e-books. I could have put them on when working with Calibre but didn't feel the need. Add to that the fact that I usually remove all the spaces between the paragraphs. as a matter of course when converting them. As long as I can make out the words, I'm a happy camper!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:39 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The effect of line spaces is to add pages and pages to the reading. And that means a lot more page turns. Plus, I really do not like the look with the spaces. Plus, why can't we have a real cover page? As for the ToC, even though the pBook doesn't have chapter headers, there is nothing to say the eBook cannot. Besides, the pBook doesn't have a ToC.

I have not seen any of the others yet. But I'm not expecting much if I ever get to see them.
Oh, I agree with you on the line spaces, I don't care for them either, but they are in about 90% of the ebooks I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I wouldn't mind that much, until recently, I put my lines between paragraphs, it made for easier reading for me, but now I use 130% line spacing, and I don't need them

the toc needs to be fixed up, but other than that, the text looks good, 5 mins in book designer to add chapter titles, and its fine
How can you add chapter titles to a book that doesn't have chapter titles? If the author didn't add them, I don't think any publisher will add them. Not in p-books, not in e-books.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:43 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very few paperback novels have a TOC, but there's no reason not to add one to an eBook, even if it is just "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2", etc. Especially useful for the "classics", where one might want to look up a particular chapter reference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Wasn't Children of Dune terrible to start with?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 AM   #14
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Wasn't Children of Dune terrible to start with?

No.

---
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It has no proper cover and the cover it has is a duplicate of the front page in lower resolution. The paragraphs have spaces between them. There are no chapter heading differentiating the chapters so in the ToC ...
Same thing in the MOBI version, except the chapters are missing entirely from the TOC. The ebook also forces full justification (usually it is a user choice in MOBI) and has the extra line between paragraphs.

Since the Kindle 2 has chapter navigation waypoints now, I wonder if this will make publishers more aware of the TOC issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoDune_WMR.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	27934  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote