Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 04-20-2024, 08:22 AM   #1
therealTOEBEANS
therealTOEBEANS began at the beginning.

Device: Android - KOReader - S22 Ultra
Question Windows-Specific Ereader Software?

Hi! I use my Surface Pro device for most content consumption, but I keep my Calibre library on my desktop computer. I'm a bit new to the ereader scene, sorry.

Is there a way to get something like KOReader for Windows? Just the ereader software part, with a lot of ebook format options. I don't need to keep and organize my whole ebook library on my wimpy tablet!

Maybe there's a simple way to do this, but I can't seem to find any info about this online.
therealTOEBEANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:40 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
You can use the calibre viewer on your Surface. While it can't be installed separately from full Calibre, it can be used as a separate application, once installed. It has lots of features and support for many formats.

It's what I use to view ebooks on my Windows devices.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2024, 01:45 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I use a Surface Pro and have Calibre installed on it. You shouldn't have any problems running Calibre on your Surface Pro.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You might want Sumatra for PDFs. Works well on Windows surface/touch.

Calibre Viewer will run standalone for real ebooks.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 06:59 PM   #5
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro, TCL 40Nxtpaper, TCL Nxtpaper11
One can also use Sumatra for epub, mobi, cbr, cbz and txt files. There's really no need for calibre on Windows if you have Sumatra installed (and sort your ebooks in folders).
Gormagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2024, 07:05 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormagon View Post
One can also use Sumatra for epub, mobi, cbr, cbz and txt files. There's really no need for calibre on Windows if you have Sumatra installed (and sort your ebooks in folders).
Sumatra has no customization options and displays epubs very poorly. It's great for PDF files, not so much for anything else.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:01 PM   #7
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is there really to display in epub files? It's just text, some CSS and maybe some pictures. While it may be nice to change the font I rarely see the need to do it, except if the font is Comic Sans of course.

Sumatra versions <3.4 had a feature for customizing the ebook UI in the advanced options of the settings menu wth EbookUI. This is missing in later versions. The most recent version is 3.5.2.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:25 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What is there really to display in epub files? It's just text, some CSS and maybe some pictures. While it may be nice to change the font I rarely see the need to do it, except if the font is Comic Sans of course.
The way Sumatra displays epubs is just awful. No way to customize line-height, paragraphs, text-indents (and it doesn't display them like they're specified in the css), no Table of Contents, no special fonts embedded in the book and a hundred more things. Maybe you're used to it or just don't care, but I definitely can't read a book that way.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:47 PM   #9
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast

Well, I usually don't read ebooks on my Windows computer, even though the screen is much larger than the screens of tablets or e-readers. So I mainly use Sumatra if I want to look something up in an epub file while working on my computer.

I just opened 4 epubs and they all have a table of content under "Bookmarks" in Sumatra.
The text of these files sometimes display italics, underlined text, a large first letter at the beginning of a chapter, different fonts, white text on black background…I really haven't look in the html files and the style sheets but to me it looks like the epub displays just fine in Sumatra v3.5.2. 64-bit.

A valid point for me would be "customize line-height" though, but then I can just increase the size with the + in the magnifier in Sumatra.

I really like software that can open various files of a kind like text files such as pdf, epub, mobi, txt, cbz, cbr in Sumatra or puicture files like jpg, gif, png, psd, eps and so on in irfanview.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:08 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm... my version of Sumatra was actually quite ancient, installed several years ago. I updated it and yep, it does display epubs better now. But still, I prefer the calibre viewer. More options.

As to someone not needing Calibre if they have Sumatra? You must be joking, right? I could understand not needing the viewer, but all the other things Calibre does... removing the DRM, converting, editing metadata, editing the html and css... and good luck with folder management if you have several thousand books and need to find something of which you only remember a vague outline of its synopsis, not the title or the author. Happens to me all the time. I can find it in Calibre by searching for keywords in the comments or browsing specific genres or custom categories. I could never find it in a folder-based system.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:55 PM   #11
therealTOEBEANS

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-20-2024, 09:58 PM   #12
therealTOEBEANS

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can use the calibre viewer on your Surface. While it can't be installed separately from full Calibre, it can be used as a separate application, once installed. It has lots of features and support for many formats.

It's what I use to view ebooks on my Windows devices.
If that's the best option, I guess I'll just have Calibre installed on both computers... lol

My question I guess then is about whether I can treat my Windows tablet as an ereader like a Kindle or Kobo this way. So like, housing all my ebooks on one device, and having a copy of them on another.

I guess it's all a bit redundant when your ereader is a whole PC. haha!

I appreciate everyone's help here. Cheers!
Old 04-21-2024, 01:56 PM   #13
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast

"So like, housing all my ebooks on one device, and having a copy of them on another."

Since I'm not a fan of Calibre and more of a folder guy I would just go with folders and Sumatra on a Windows device, if I use it mainly for e-book reading.

The content of the folders can easily be checked and copied with Winmerge. Actually I use Winmerge to check and copy the music content of microSD cards for my DAPs (Digital Audio Players), so I would just do the same with epubs, pdfs, cbr, cbz etc.
Old 04-21-2024, 03:24 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

I have Sumatra on my Surface for reading pdf books and Calibre for epubs. I prefer it this way.
Apache
Old 04-21-2024, 03:26 PM   #15
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
"So like, housing all my ebooks on one device, and having a copy of them on another."

Since I'm not a fan of Calibre and more of a folder guy I would just go with folders and Sumatra on a Windows device, if I use it mainly for e-book reading.

The content of the folders can easily be checked and copied with Winmerge. Actually I use Winmerge to check and copy the music content of microSD cards for my DAPs (Digital Audio Players), so I would just do the same with epubs, pdfs, cbr, cbz etc.
Calibre allows me to edit or correct the metadata and replace poor book covers while importing the book.
Apache

Tags
help ereader, help for a newbie, question, software, windows