Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2023, 04:07 PM   #1
realFridayHouse
realFridayHouse began at the beginning.

Device: 4th Gen Kindle D01100 4.1.4
Exclamation Kindle D01100 Ver. 4.1.4 connected then not connected

I have a 4th Gen graphite Kindle D01100 Ver. 4.1.4 connected with a data USB cable (please don't say try another cable, it's confirmed to work properly.) When connecting it to my Windows 10 computer, it will see the device, open a folder, wait a few second and disconnect and close the explorer window. like it's not plugged up. The Kindle still says it's in USB mode and connected, but windows acts like it's not there at all. Sometimes the Kindle will flash from the home screen to the USB screen and back, over and over. What is windows doing wrong?

I've tried on another windows 10 computer and it works just fine. Here is what I've tried thus far for the trouble computer...

Device Manager: No kindle related device appears.
Windows Event Viewer: Nothing appears, no errors.
Windows Services: Looked for "Shell Hardware Detection" and ensured it is set to "Automatic."
Windows PowerShell: Used the command `Get-WmiObject Win32_PnPEntity | Where-Object { $_.ConfigManagerErrorCode -ne 0 }` in Power Shell, no results.
USB Devices: Opened the "Devices and Printers" window from the Control Panel and check if the Kindle appears there. It does not.
USB Troubleshooter: No results.
System File Checker (SFC) Scan: No errors.
All else is updated. No viruses, no malware, no USB related software installed.
realFridayHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 11:14 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Sorry but you have not confirmed that your USB cable works properly with your Kindle. I have several cables that work with my Clara HD but not with my Kobo Glo HD or PaperWhite 10th gen and vice versa.

IMNSHO, your comment about the connection going now you see me, now you don't suggests that either the cable or the USB connector on your Kindle are flaky or the Kindle is attempting to draw too much power from the port. You could try a powered USB hub in between.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2023, 10:00 AM   #3
realFridayHouse
realFridayHouse began at the beginning.

Device: 4th Gen Kindle D01100 4.1.4
Hi David, and thank you for the reply. The USB cable is a heavy duty charging/data cable, it is more then capable to connect any device. As I stated, the cable is not the issue and is the first thing I checked. It is confirmed, the cable is not the issue. It happens with others as well and the same cable was used on the other computer where it worked fine. It is not the cable, it's windows.
realFridayHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 08:54 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
  • You have connected your Kindle to another computer with that same cable and found no issues.
  • You have connected another device with equivalent power consumption to your computer using that cable without issue.
  • You have run a hardware diagnostic on your computer's USB ports? After all, it's far more likely to be a computer hardware issue rather than a Windows issue.
  • Here I'm assuming that you have more than 1 USB port and you have tested the cable/Kindle in all of them.
  • You have cleaned the Kindle and computer USB ports.
As for the heavy duty cable? I've had enough of those that failed as often as a decent cable. This includes cables that worked with one device but not with another ranging from USB-A/USB-MicroA, USB-A/USB-MicroB, USB-A to USB-B, USB-C to any of the previous and also the USB-C variants of USB-B and USB-MicroB.

Edit: have you tried booting your computer from a Linux distro on a USB flash drive to check if it is able to connect reliably to your Kindle.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-05-2023 at 08:56 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 04:26 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by realFridayHouse View Post
Hi David, and thank you for the reply. The USB cable is a heavy duty charging/data cable, it is more then capable to connect any device. As I stated, the cable is not the issue and is the first thing I checked. It is confirmed, the cable is not the issue. It happens with others as well and the same cable was used on the other computer where it worked fine. It is not the cable, it's windows.
It could be hardware, especially if it's a desktop. Sometimes the "satellite" USB ports (the ones connected to the motherboard via cables to the front of the machine) don't put out quite enough voltage. Sometimes the solution is simply plugging into one of the USB ports on the back of the computer, which are directly connected to the motherboard. Or, as mentioned by DNSB, using a powered USB hub.

EDIT: It looks like DNSB already covered the possible hardware issue in his response. Sorry for the redundancy.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-07-2023 at 04:29 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert