Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2023, 08:38 AM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Kindle firmware 5.16.4

Kindle firmware version 5.16.4 now available for 10th and 11th generation Kindles and Kindle Scribe.

Quote:
Version 5.16.4 – October 2023

Here's what's new:

Goodreads: Streamlined experience to track reading progress.

Performance improvements, bug fixes, and other general enhancements.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:52 AM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Is there any hidden updates on this patch?

Goodreads doesn't really work with sendtokindle books so I might just wait until Amazon pushes this update to my Kindle.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2023, 10:35 AM   #3
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
This has probably been asked elsewhere but I assume the Paperwhite SE takes the 11th Gen Paperwhite update?
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:07 PM   #4
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
Doesn't seem to enable MTP on older Kindles yet?

Lots and lots of binary changes though.
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
This has probably been asked elsewhere but I assume the Paperwhite SE takes the 11th Gen Paperwhite update?
Yes, it's the PW5 (11th Gen).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2023, 03:12 PM   #6
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
This patch doesn't turn the PW SE into a MTP device does it?
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:34 PM   #7
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Goodreads: Streamlined experience to track reading progress.
More detailed description of this change (from https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...ration_update/ )

Quote:
In the coming months, we are simplifying the Goodreads experience on Kindle E-reader to focus on helping you keep track of your reading. Once the update occurs, when you go to Goodreads on your Kindle you will immediately see your profile page with your Want to Read, Currently Reading, and Read shelves. This will allow you to more easily view the next book you’d like to read from your Want to Read shelf. Features you know and love like automatically tracking your Kindle books on Goodreads, and rating and reviewing books will continue to be available.

As part of this change, Goodreads will no longer display the updates feed, recommendations, friends list, or friend profile pages within Kindles. The link to Goodreads recommendations from the "Your reading lists" page will also be removed. However, you can still easily access these features on your computer, phone, or tablet after you sign in to your Goodreads account. To view your updates feed, click or tap Updates or Home. To view recommendations, you can find steps for each device in the How do I view recommendations? Help article. To view or update your friends list, you can find steps for each device in the How do I find or invite friends to Goodreads? or How do I unfollow or unfriend someone on Goodreads? Help articles.

To find answers to frequently asked questions, visit Goodreads Help.

The Goodreads Team
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:46 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
This patch doesn't turn the PW SE into a MTP device does it?
It doesn't turn the PaperWhite 10th gen into an MTP device (using Windows 11).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 07:23 PM   #9
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I didn't browse GR on my Kindles anyway due to how slow and limited --- however, if they do default to just show currently reading, read, and "want to read" shelves, it's pointless for me. Many created custom shelves for their TBR when Goodreads made that weird wording change years and years back -- my TBR Pile is not on the generic "Want to read" shelf. At the time I remember the uproar on the now defunct feedback group as it was mixing it up with "wishlist" books at the time.

If it allows other shelves to be selected, then it won't matter much.

I am not turning off Wi-fi for awhile still so probably won't get that update anytime soon anyway.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 07:44 PM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

....edited, nevermind
Old 10-25-2023, 07:52 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I am not turning off Wi-fi for awhile still so probably won't get that update anytime soon anyway.
I would love to know why my Paperwhite seems to get every update within a day or so of the announcement that a new update is available. Admittedly, it is not my primary reader since it was purchased more for testing edited ebooks on a Amazon eInk device than day to day use.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:36 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
How very sad.

tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:37 PM   #13
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
I would love to know why my Paperwhite seems to get every update within a day or so of the announcement that a new update is available. Admittedly, it is not my primary reader since it was purchased more for testing edited ebooks on a Amazon eInk device than day to day use.
I don't know, if I don't manually update it can take me six months or more for it become active on my devices. It's random. I must be a slow roll out list
Old 10-25-2023, 10:36 PM   #14
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Thank you!
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 03:13 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The streamlined Goodreads experience loads a lot faster, but for what purpose, it is not clear. It no longer lets you view your Goodreads feed, only the standard three shelves.

Does not matter much, I rarely spent any time with the other stuff, as it was so slow.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote