Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2023, 02:05 PM   #1
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur
Bluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bricked PW5
Post KWebBrew - Fancy Launcher+"SDK" for Web-Based Homebrew

KWebBrew
Getting cool stuff to "run" without jailbreaking
https://github.com/KindleModding/KWebBrew

KWebBrew is a launcher bundled with a useful SDK (file system reading to an extent and some useful functions) and a pollyfill allowing you to use features from ES6 Browsers in your homebrew

Due to its nature, it does not require a jailbreak to work, however, it also can't run arbritary code directly on the Kindle

KWebBrew uses a manifest format which means that apps can have fancy icons (as shown)

Currently there are two apps available for it, KChess (a work-in-progress 2-player chess game for the Kindle) and sudoku (ported to KWebBrew from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4276488)

How To Install
Installing it is really easy, simply download the latest release zip from here:
https://github.com/KindleModding/KWe...eleases/latest

and extract it to the root of your Kindle's OTG file system so that along with your
documents and audible folders, you also have a kwebbrew and apps folder

How To Use
KWebBrew automatically installs a browser extension for itself when copying the `.active_content_sandbox` folder, simply select this bookmark and it will open KWebBrew

KWebBrew also doesn't require an internet connection to function, simply open it and select an app

Developing for KWebBrew
Developer Information will be made available on the GitHub repository's wiki:
https://github.com/KindleModding/KWebBrew/wiki
UPDATE: Documentation is now complete

Last edited by Bluebotlabs; 05-25-2023 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Update github links
Bluebotlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:09 PM   #2
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Looks like some of your search history was saved into the `.active_content_sandbox`?
  • 3d game maze interactive pdf - Google Search
  • 10 Reasons to Hate Moths | The Vitalis Chronicles
  • parrot drones - Google Search
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2023, 05:16 PM   #3
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur
Bluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheeseBluebotlabs can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by luketheduke View Post
Looks like some of your search history was saved into the `.active_content_sandbox`?

I erased it, that can't be right bruh
Ok the first one is mine but I swear I don't know what the last two are about xD
Old 02-26-2023, 06:19 PM   #4
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebotlabs View Post
I erased it, that can't be right bruh
Ok the first one is mine but I swear I don't know what the last two are about xD
Quote:
So, funny story, it turns out the SQLite DB had some of the previous owner’s history on it xD

Imma erase that (they asked me to lol) and repuload it tmrw
Old 02-26-2023, 08:45 PM   #5
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebotlabs View Post
So, funny story, it turns out the SQLite DB had some of the previous owner’s history on it xD

Imma erase that (they asked me to lol) and repuload it tmrw

Love it.

In all seriousness, nice work.

Reminds me of aur0raHAX and WAF ReactJS.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2023, 01:50 AM   #6
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur

Quote:
Love it.

In all seriousness, nice work.

Reminds me of aur0raHAX and WAF ReactJS.
Lol, I should've anticipated someone would look into the DB, I just kinda forgot how it worked for second lol. But yeah, thanks! Looking at WAF it is kindof like AuoraHax and WAF combined lol but tbf I didn't know about any of them when I started

I'm actually working on a read-only file browser at the moment for it, let me know if there's anything you'd like to see!
Old 03-01-2023, 02:35 PM   #7
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur

Quick update btw: I just finished writing all the documentation
So if anyone wants to actually develop apps for this they can xD
https://github.com/KindleModding/KWebBrew/wiki

Last edited by Bluebotlabs; 05-25-2023 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:47 AM   #8
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur

Working on v1.2.0 rn, hoping to release it later today or tomorrow but it will have:
- Fully functional KChess (all bugs have been stamped out afaik)
- KChess will also have local storage, automatically saving the state of the board
- New theme based on KoffeeLauncher
- New theming support
- New manifest format
Old 05-08-2023, 10:35 PM   #9
Devyev
Devyev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 11 signature
Go fast

it has been 1 and a half months since you promised that "release it later today or tomorrow". please get it done soon.
Devyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 11:36 AM   #10
Bluebotlabs
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devyev View Post
it has been 1 and a half months since you promised that "release it later today or tomorrow". please get it done soon.
Making stuff work for Kindle webkit is somewhat challanging :|

Either way: https://github.com/KindleModding/KWe...ses/tag/v1.2.0

Also, KWebBrew will soon be deprecated, I've got something... significantly better in the works

[the KWebBrew Sudoku and KChess apps will still be maintained with bugfixes already in the works for KChess]

Tags
kindle, offline, web browser