Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2023, 09:10 PM   #1
_Calculated_
_Calculated_ began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
USB on Kindle not working after update

I gave my gf my old kindle (kept it in airplane mode for a long time and never JB it).

She was using it for over a year with no issues connecting through USB to upload books. Recently, she enabled wifi and registered the device. I can see it was updated by amazon. Now we cannot get it to connect through USB. Tried windows, linux, mac and 5+ different cables. (USB charging works.)

Her mom has a bunch of books she wants to share with her from her kobo reader and/or her mac. Is there a way to fix the USB or at least for her to get the books over wifi?

Going to toss it if not. Its just so tilting that we have to pay the price for forced updates being botched.
_Calculated_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:12 PM   #2
_Calculated_

I am guessing this will work:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...WYD9SAF7PGXRNA

Still annoying not being able to use the USB anymore :-/
Advert
Old 02-07-2023, 05:58 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Calculated_ View Post
I gave my gf my old kindle (kept it in airplane mode for a long time and never JB it).

She was using it for over a year with no issues connecting through USB to upload books. Recently, she enabled wifi and registered the device. I can see it was updated by amazon. Now we cannot get it to connect through USB. Tried windows, linux, mac and 5+ different cables. (USB charging works.)

Her mom has a bunch of books she wants to share with her from her kobo reader and/or her mac. Is there a way to fix the USB or at least for her to get the books over wifi?

Going to toss it if not. Its just so tilting that we have to pay the price for forced updates being botched.

Call Amazon and see what they can do for you.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:57 AM   #4
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
Have you tried factory resetting the device?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...EWAYLEKM2UGFAC
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:44 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Might be some crud or wear on the contacts. Try some Deoxit or similar product.

'correlation is not causation'. It seems unlikely to me that an update could cause this issue.

Last edited by tomsem; 02-07-2023 at 11:04 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2023, 08:06 PM   #6
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Make sure that one of the 5+ different cables you tried is in fact a data cable. There are an awful lot of "charge only" USB cables that come with various devices. If you are randomly pulling cables out of a box of "supplied with some device or another" cables, you indeed could have missed stumbling into a data cable.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:09 PM   #7
_Calculated_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Call Amazon and see what they can do for you.
I bought it years ago and we live abroad now. I guess still worth a try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Have you tried factory resetting the device?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...EWAYLEKM2UGFAC
Yes, 3+ times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Might be some crud or wear on the contacts. Try some Deoxit or similar product.

'correlation is not causation'. It seems unlikely to me that an update could cause this issue.
I agree that I am just speculating but from my perspective we used it for years without an issue. A day after taking it out of airplane mode it wont connect. I think its more likely that its a software issue than a hardware issue. Especially considering its unlikely they test updates going from really old firmware (kindle was in airplane mode for 3+ years) and its still charging without issue.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:33 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Charging uses two different pins to data pair. Just one pad on connector will stop data.
It's a nasty coincidence.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote