Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-21-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
End of year tidying up

I finally got around to updating Calibre, putting in the latest drm plugin, and making sure all my bought ebooks are updated, cleaned and in Calibre. Now I'm going to make an effort to actually go through all my bought books and read all the unreads. There are a lot. I've retired, I have time now. Calibre can pick random books for you. I wish my kindle could also.

Last edited by crossi; 12-21-2022 at 10:48 PM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 09:34 PM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I finally got around to updating Calibre, putting in the latest drm plugin, and making sure all my bought ebooks are cleaned and in Calibre. Now I'm going to make an effort to actually go through all my bought books and read all the unreads. There are a lot. I've retired, I have time now. Calibre can pick random books for you. I wish my kindle could also.
Congrats on your retiring
Click image for larger version

Name:	79-799988_trophy-golden-cup-icons-award-computer-clipart-transparent.png
Views:	69
Size:	298.1 KB
ID:	198546

While I think random is fun, I wish I had some kind of focus when i had similar opportunity. actually, I never solved this focus issue, lol.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2022, 10:10 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I finally got around to updating Calibre, putting in the latest drm plugin, and making sure all my bought ebooks are cleaned and in Calibre. Now I'm going to make an effort to actually go through all my bought books and read all the unreads. There are a lot. I've retired, I have time now. Calibre can pick random books for you. I wish my kindle could also.
Yep, I did the same two years ago. November 2020 to be exact when time off came around and I had time to pick up and read a book - the first in well over 5 years.

Went to Calibre and realised what a mess my library was, and all my paperbooks were in storage.

So taught myself about Calibre in more detail than simply "double click to start" and "x to close". Learnt about ebook structure and coding, learnt css, html and regex. (and still learning)

2+ years later, having fixed (so far) 293 library entries, reformatted the associated ebooks and then read them to pick up those spelling and punctuation mistakes, I can finally say my library is looking pretty good with some fantastic covers.

But after two years, I can feel I am losing a bit of steam now.

One more series to read - The Expanse- then I'll take a break for a little while...
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My tidying up is a neverending job which will last until I die, considering the amount of books I buy. I don't mind, though. I like tinkering with my library. But I don't bother with spelling and punctuation mistakes, I'd have no time to read if I did.

I've never used the random book feature. I like to pick and choose according to my mood.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I like tidying up, also, been doing some re-arranging and fixing (slowly) on spreadsheet. I lost previous Calibre work with a harddrive crash and didn't have a back-up, so no tracking there unfortunately.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2022, 07:34 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

I've never used the random book feature. I like to pick and choose according to my mood.
Me too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 06:10 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I must have slipped into an alternate universe when I wasn't looking: When I tidy up, I have household chores I'm required to do or my wife will divorce me. When I mention calibre, she tells me in no uncertain terms to vacuum it before our guests arrive.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 07:19 PM   #8
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Congrats on the retirement! I enjoy that randomizer. While I often pick books based on mood, I try a randomized book occasionally. Often gives a refreshing change of pace.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 01:56 PM   #9
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
... I've retired, I have time now.
Congratulations on your retirement, enjoy all of your time to read!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Yep, I did the same two years ago. November 2020 to be exact when time off came around and I had time to pick up and read a book - the first in well over 5 years.

So taught myself about Calibre in more detail than simply "double click to start" and "x to close". Learnt about ebook structure and coding, learnt css, html and regex. (and still learning)

2+ years later, having fixed (so far) 293 library entries, reformatted the associated ebooks and then read them to pick up those spelling and punctuation mistakes, I can finally say my library is looking pretty good with some fantastic covers.

But after two years, I can feel I am losing a bit of steam now.
Congrats on teaching yourself about Calibre!

My fixing consists of removing DRM and adding in space to separate paragraphs, and making sure everything is an epub!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:34 AM   #10
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
We do a major housecleaning twice a year wherein we take all the physical books (1200+) off our shelves for full dusting etc. This time, my wife rearranged all the books to redistribute the weight and to group similar topics together. I took the opportunity to run a check on my physical book database and found a few that were missing.

I keep my calibre as up to date as possible, and am getting my 2023 book spreadsheet ready.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 07:54 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
We do a major housecleaning twice a year wherein we take all the physical books (1200+) off our shelves for full dusting etc. This time, my wife rearranged all the books to redistribute the weight and to group similar topics together. I took the opportunity to run a check on my physical book database and found a few that were missing.

I keep my calibre as up to date as possible, and am getting my 2023 book spreadsheet ready.
I always kept my physical library in alphabetical order by author. I like to reread, and this made it easier to find a specific book. The hard backs I donated to the local library. The paperback books are next They are in banker boxes in alphabetical order. Each box is numbered and lists first and last book, in the box, on the box. I also have a master list of all of the paperback books. Once the weather gets better, I will load them into my truck and take them to the library too. I estimate at least two trips.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:09 PM   #12
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Congrats on the retirement! I enjoy that randomizer. While I often pick books based on mood, I try a randomized book occasionally. Often gives a refreshing change of pace.
I use Calibre's random book feature in two occurances:

1. I keep a small TBR list. When it gets depleted enough (though this isn't common), I go into my unread books and click 'pick random books a few times. If something catches my interest, I add it.

2. If I'm having trouble picking which book on my TBR list to read next, I let the RNG gods decide.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote