Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-23-2022, 12:50 AM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Where to find ebooks and audiobooks in French?

My daughter is wanting to brush up on her French. She studied the language for many years in high school and college, but that was a few years ago. Now she wants to brush up her knowledge by reading or listening to some books. I have no idea where to find any. Purchase, library, a Guttenburg like website - it doesn't really matter. I found some French books on Amazon's Audible, but wow are they expensive.

Any ideas of where I could help my daughter look to find some (we are in the USA)? She did give me a few titles she is interested in starting with - I believe because she may already know the story, at least in some cases. I have no idea if these are current books or if they are past copyright - I can't read French.

La Toile de Charlotte
Le Petit Prince
Le Chatte Botte
Arsene Lupin
Contes de la rue Broca
Le Petit Nicolas
Les Trois Mousquetaires
Le Rêve de Mademoiselle Papillon
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:05 AM   #2
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Check if your local library has an "Overdrive" collection, it's very likely they may have audiobooks of some of these titles for free download.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2022, 03:19 AM   #3
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
found this, read by a French teacher:
https://www.lifeinfrench-bordeaux.com/le-petit-prince
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:51 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Gutenberg has a number of French ebooks.

For audiobooks, have you looked at LibraVox?

https://librivox.org/search?primary_...rm=get_results

The other way, of course, is to use TTS with any French text.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-23-2022 at 11:56 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 12:11 PM   #5
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
Check if your local library has an "Overdrive" collection, it's very likely they may have audiobooks of some of these titles for free download.
Thanks!

I did look (only for two or three random ones). But I didn't find any using the French titles. I will try to go to Google translate and find out the English names for the books. Maybe I will have better luck searching Overdrive for the English names.

Last edited by haertig; 11-23-2022 at 12:15 PM.
Advert
Old 11-23-2022, 12:13 PM   #6
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
found this, read by a French teacher:
https://www.lifeinfrench-bordeaux.com/le-petit-prince
Fantastic! I really appreciate you finding this one.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:15 PM   #7
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Gutenberg has a number of French ebooks.

For audiobooks, have you looked at LibraVox?

https://librivox.org/search?primary_...rm=get_results

The other way, of course, is to use TTS with any French text.
I will check Guttenberg again. I had not checked LibraVox, but will do that now. I think I ran into the same problem on Guttenberg that I ran into on Overdrive. For the few test books I searched for, I was searching their French names. Maybe if I search their English names that will turn up better results.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2022, 01:06 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Arsène Lupin (series) and Les Trois Mousquetaires are certainly PD /out of copyright and I'm sure I saw the French versions somewhere.

Also try https://www.fadedpage.com/index.php as it's Canadian, so has some French. Also plenty of their books meet the USA expiry rules.

I've read most of Arsène Lupin in English. Very entertaining.

Pocketbook on Android will use whatever speech engine and languages installed. Seems to work well even on Android 5, but not Android 4. Oddly the Android 5 Huawei does more natural speech (in British English) than Android 10 on a Lenovo.

There should also be Jules Verne.

Note there are other gutenberg sites other than the USA gutenberg.org and search on author may work better on Gutenberg or other sites as titles are not always what is commonly known.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #9
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Also try https://www.fadedpage.com/index.php as it's Canadian, so has some French.
Good idea. Thanks!

---

So far I have gotten Le Petit Prince completed. I found an HTML version here:

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0300771h.html

Calibre did a good job of converting that downloaded HTML into EPUB/AZW3 (with a little manual editing to clean things up). I checked this with Calibre's internal viewer and it looked great. I haven't tried sideloading it to a Kindle yet. I'm assuming a Kindle will display French text just fine though. But I've never tried that. Maybe there will be some issue with fonts or something, I don't know. We'll see when I get around to testing it.

And I was able to download the individual MP3 files for each chapter of this book from the link that @Comfy.n mentioned. I then turned those into an audiobook for playback on my daughters MP3 player or by the Smart Audiobook Player app on her Android phone.
Old 11-23-2022, 03:32 PM   #10
Shpounz
Shpounz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
https://www.ebooksgratuits.com/ebooks.php
You can try this site for out of copyright books like Les trois mousquetaires
Shpounz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 04:30 PM   #11
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpounz View Post
Thanks a lot! This one looks really promising! It's a bit hard for me to navigate since it's in French. I searched out "Arsene Lupin" and found what looks like different books with different titles. I don't know French, so I can't tell if these are indeed different books, anthologies, collections, or what. One appears to be a "bibliography summary" (?) and one is in PDF only. But there are eight more after that. So I sent the link to my daughter and asked her to figure it out and find direct EPUB download links for the book(s) she wants. I can then follow those links and convert the downloads from EPUB to AZW3 so she can use them on her Kindle (she doesn't have Calibre installed herself, and just uses my library instead).
Old 11-23-2022, 04:44 PM   #12
Shpounz
Shpounz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Thanks a lot! This one looks really promising! It's a bit hard for me to navigate since it's in French. I searched out "Arsene Lupin" and found what looks like different books with different titles. I don't know French, so I can't tell if these are indeed different books, anthologies, collections, or what. One appears to be a "bibliography summary" (?) and one is in PDF only. But there are eight more after that. So I sent the link to my daughter and asked her to figure it out and find direct EPUB download links for the book(s) she wants. I can then follow those links and convert the downloads from EPUB to AZW3 so she can use them on her Kindle (she doesn't have Calibre installed herself, and just uses my library instead).
The search engine is not always very accurate I think. The easiest way for you is to search by author in the drop-down list. Do not hesitate if you need help
Shpounz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:19 PM   #13
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:

Note that Amazon Send to Kindle will convert EPUBs so your daughter can do it herself.

Also Amazon.com has ebooks in french. Search French edition

https://www.amazon.com/Fl%C3%A9au-Ch...dp/B01LXFYENA/

English title Curse of Chalion Lois Bujold

https://www.amazon.com/Ars%C3%A8ne-L...9243102&sr=8-3

Also Google Translate works fine on web pages

Last edited by Little.Egret; 11-23-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:54 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I will check Guttenberg again. I had not checked LibraVox, but will do that now. I think I ran into the same problem on Guttenberg that I ran into on Overdrive. For the few test books I searched for, I was searching their French names. Maybe if I search their English names that will turn up better results.

Thanks!
Gutenberg Advanced Search lets you select language.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:41 AM   #15
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Radio-Canada (the French language branch of the CBC) has a lot of free audio books in French. They are mostly from French-Canadian authors however, so will be different from the books on the wishlist, but there's quite a wide variety and they're all free.

Here's the link to the "Jeunesse" (i.e. "Youth") section, however clicking on "Tous les livres" opens up the whole library.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote