Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-10-2022, 06:04 PM   #1
zpyroro
zpyroro began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle (2019)
eInk device that plays MP3’s?

I have a Kindle Keyboard, which is great for reading, listening to Audible, text-to-speech and music, and even playing interactive fiction games. But screen technology has improved so much. Is there anything newer that will also play music files?
zpyroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:30 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpyroro View Post
I have a Kindle Keyboard, which is great for reading, listening to Audible, text-to-speech and music, and even playing interactive fiction games. But screen technology has improved so much. Is there anything newer that will also play music files?
Some of the PocketBook models (Touch HD 3 and Era are two of them) will play MP3 files. Some of the old Sony readers will also play MP3 files.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2022, 07:06 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I haven't done it but a neighbor has.... Any Reader that you can connect to Bluetooth speaker can play music. As long as it also does MP3.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:32 PM   #4
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
The Android devices from Boox and Likebook can. Some have a speaker built-in, some need Bluetooth. They can also do music streaming from whatever app.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 03:44 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Some of the PocketBook models (Touch HD 3 and Era are two of them) will play MP3 files. Some of the old Sony readers will also play MP3 files.
In addition these have TTS in a number of voices and languages.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2022, 04:13 AM   #6
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
The Kobo Sage and Libra 2 can play MP3 files to bluetooth - details on this site how to do it
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:43 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
The Kobo Sage and Libra 2 can play MP3 files to bluetooth - details on this site how to do it
But it's rubbish. You can't manage a music library and can't play while you read.

Really any old android phone with a new battery and 32G SD card is better. SIM not needed. Delete Google account after installing Apps. You aren't using the screen except to select a new folder or playlist. Even the Android eink is pointless. I use Musicolet on Android because it can do folder playing or playlists and can remember location so works for mp3 audiobooks.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:44 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
The Android devices from Boox and Likebook can. Some have a speaker built-in, some need Bluetooth. They can also do music streaming from whatever app.
The Mars has a real headphone socket too. But I'd rather use ANY old Android phone.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:31 PM   #9
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But it's rubbish..
The request was not for one that wasn't rubbish, just for one that did it.
They do play MP3s, though it's not a feature I would ever use, not having bluetooth earphones.

Over and out.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:00 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, even on PocketBook, the stock MP3 and audiobook player will not play in background, something any phone or tablet will do.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:50 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But it's rubbish. You can't manage a music library and can't play while you read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, even on PocketBook, the stock MP3 and audiobook player will not play in background, something any phone or tablet will do.
Actually the PocketBook will play music in the background while reading. I'm doing it now as a test. (Touch HD 3, can't vouch for other models.)

You touch the — (line) on the right side of of the Music Player title and it'll go to your home screen without shutting down the Music Player. Then pick and read your book.

EDIT: That said, I don't like music in the background when reading. And I don't think it would be good on your battery. I've got a little dedicated MP3 player that uses an AAA battery and a microSD card for the music (Sansa slotMusic Player). (I hardly ever use that either, but that's what I would use if I wanted to listen to music while reading.)

Last edited by rcentros; 08-11-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:23 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Actually the PocketBook will play music in the background while reading. I'm doing it now as a test. (Touch HD 3, can't vouch for other models.)

You touch the — (line) on the right side of of the Music Player title and it'll go to your home screen without shutting down the Music Player. Then pick and read your book.

EDIT: That said, I don't like music in the background when reading. And I don't think it would be good on your battery. I've got a little dedicated MP3 player that uses an AAA battery and a microSD card for the music (Sansa slotMusic Player). (I hardly ever use that either, but that's what I would use if I wanted to listen to music while reading.)
I missed that. It will also play audiobooks in background. The use case here is to read along as you listen to the audiobook. I don't really care if battery drains faster: time to get up and do something else while it recharges.

The weird part is that they are not shown in Library, or Home Screen. You have to go to the Audiobook app specifically.

Last edited by tomsem; 08-11-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:00 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I missed that. It will also play audiobooks in background. The use case here is to read along as you listen to the audiobook. I don't really care if battery drains faster: time to get up and do something else while it recharges.
I'm not really worried about recharging the battery itself (the battery life is good on the HD 3). I'm more worried about wearing down the battery by charging it too many times. Probably should just use it and not worry about it.

Quote:
The weird part is that they are not shown in Library, or Home Screen. You have to go to the Audiobook app specifically.
Yeah, it's the same with the Music Player App. I think the PocketBook UI could probably use some redesigning.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:19 PM   #14
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Quote:
Tried on Inkpad3 (latest update version) and both TTS and Audiobooks work in the background.

In addition, it is not a problem to have the home screen open as well.
Since it is an E-INK screen, it does not draw any energy if there is no movement. (without backlight of course)

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 08-17-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:53 AM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post

In addition, it is not a problem to have the home screen open as well.
Since it is an E-INK screen, it does not draw any energy if there is no movement. (without backlight of course)
Maybe a little power for touch detection?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote